GA Carry question - Hotel Convention

This is a discussion on GA Carry question - Hotel Convention within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have a question for you Georgia folk. I attend a convention in Atlanta every year called Dragon Con, which is held between 3 hotels, ...

Thread: GA Carry question - Hotel Convention

I have a question for you Georgia folk. I attend a convention in Atlanta every year called Dragon Con, which is held between 3 hotels, the Marriott Marquis, Hilton and the Hyatt. I will be getting my NH out of state permit which will allow me to carry in Georgia. This convention isn't something in which you sit at a meeting all day in a large auditorium. Most of my time is spent on the side rails inside the hotel watching people (it's a costuming convention). Would this be considered a "public gathering" in your opinion? If so, what about people staying in the hotel during the same weekend, but not paying convention attendees?
    Sejune
    Glock 30 .45
    Springfield XD 9

I am reasonably familiar with the convention and the local law. The real answer to the question, "what is a public gathering?", is that no one knows. Given the political climate within the City of Atlanta, if I were a betting man I would wager that if your carry were "discovered" at DragonCon the local LEOs would bust you and the judge would burn you for violating the "public gathering" clause. I am not a lawyer. Be SA. Downtown Atlanta can be a war zone at night.

http://www.handgunlaw.us/documents/a...cGathering.pdf

Georgia Carry : An information clearinghouse for Georgia Firearms License issues and news Frequently Asked Questions

Georgia Gun Laws in Plain English on GeorgiaPacking.org

people are gathered for a specific event, so it could sway one way or another. iirc McDonalds is the only place ever on appeal to be found not a public gathering:P so at least you will be safe at the golden arches even if people gather around you.

the law is written to be extremely vague so a black men could be disarmed after the civil war, its a bad Jim Crowe law left over from the era :(
    for example i carry to the movies, is it a public gathering: who knows but i make sure to CC there and carry my CC keltec p11.

if you choose to carry make sure to have a lawyers number in your phone
    here is the number to Doug King 404 790 7345 he is in atlanta make sure to save it, also i suggest a digital voice recorder, you dont need anyones permission to record other than your own.
    S&W M&P40/M&P9c OC rigs
    S&W 640-1 or Sig P238 as a CC rig
    proud www.georgiacarry.org member
    Second Amendment Foundation Life member

It would meet the criteria of a PG. Avoid carrying while attending.

Nothing against the Original Poster - but GA should block all SC residents from carrying in GA - no non resident permits allowed. This would cause the residents of SC to push for reciprocity from their elected officials.

Distinguished Member Array Doc Holliday's Avatar
    We have a ton of idiots that run the city of Atlanta and like the other poster said you would probably get burned at the stake if caught. Atlanta is very dangerous so watch your step.

The Public Gathering clause is so vague it is really hard to know what is and what is not.......

Example.....I could be carrying legally at the mall but if they were to be having a fashion show or something to that effect then that could be considered a public gathering. The law is based on Jim Crow like the above poster said and should be taken off the book.
    Why Ike, whatever do you mean? Maybe poker's just not your game Ike. I know! Let's have a spelling contest!

I concur with most of the others. A convention is a "specific" event and would easily fall under the vague public gathering clause. Add the fact it's in Atlanta and the safest way to go is not carry during the convention. Enjoy your visit.
    Member NRA, SAF and Georgiacarry.org
    “America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.” Abraham Lincoln

It would probably be considered a public gathering...if you got caught.

Quote Originally Posted by FlyboyLDB View Post
    Nothing against the Original Poster - but GA should block all SC residents from carrying in GA - no non resident permits allowed. This would cause the residents of SC to push for reciprocity from their elected officials.
    While I would welcome not having to have a NH permit to carry in GA (my son lives there, so I visit often), I believe that SC's stand is reasonable - they will honor permits from states with equivalent requirements. Leaving reciprocity out of it, IMO, it is not unreasonable to require someone to take a written test to prove they know the laws, know how to operate a weapon safely, and to require that they have some maginal proficiency with a handgun before they go walking around with a concealed weapon. None of that is required in GA, and I know people with GA permits who have no idea how to clear any kind of malfunction because they were never taught.

So yes, SC could change their laws and lower their standards - or GA could change their laws and raise their standards.

Just my $.02...

in case anyone doesn't know due to this older thread, the Public Gathering law was repealed on June 4th, 2010
    ”A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them..."
    -George Washington

Links