Rookie Question About Carry

This is a discussion on Rookie Question About Carry within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I'm embarrased to ask this question, but I can't find any information anywhere about it which tells me that it is too basic for people ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Rookie Question About Carry

I'm embarrased to ask this question, but I can't find any information anywhere about it which tells me that it is too basic for people to even bother asking (a little like asking if one needs pedals on a bicycle).

I am new to shooting however I just recently passed the Texas CCL. It takes about two months to actually receive the license so I am learning all I can about concealment in the meantime. My first priority is personal saftey for myself and others and toward that end am spening a lot of time at the range, reading everything I can get my hands on, and I spend a lot of time on this site because it covers just about everything.

With that background, here's my embarassingly rookie question: When I holster a pistol for concealed carry, should it be ready to fire immediately? If so, what are the chances of an accidental discharge? I don't know what I'll carry yet, but am leaning toward a Sig P239. Should it be ready to fire as soon as I draw it?

Thank you...:

As long as you have one in the tube and no external safety lever you are good to go. That's how most folks carry.

If you need your weapon, you will need it in a hurry, most likely. If you have to rack the slide while you are in a bad situation, the time it takes to do that can cost you your life. Most folks that carry have one in the tube. I certainly do.
    ALSO . . . Don't be embarrassed to ask questions, we've all had to do that at one time or another.
    "We have met the enemy, and it is us." Pogo Possum

I carry a 3" 1911 with one in the pipe and the safety on, if I were you I'd get some snap caps and pratice holstering with them in your pistol.
    EDC's Colt Defender 45 acp and S&W 442 .38
    Springfield XD 45 acp
    Ruger SR9
    Ruger Super RedHawk .44 mag
    mossberg 590 12 gauge tactical
    bushmaster AR15-M4

IMHO, it defies the whole purpose of a SD gun, if it's not ready to fire. as soon as you draw.
    Having said that, there are different ways to carry your gun.
    - cocked and locked: round in the chamber, hammer cocked and safety engaged, to fire you have to release the safety and press the (mostly?) single-action trigger (e.g. 1911)
    - deckocked: round in the chamber, hammer in a deckocked position, to fire, you have to press the double-action trigger (e.g. Glock)

Since you're new to shooting, I'd spend quite some time with my holster and the gun at the range and practice drawing.
    I myself bought some snap-caps and practiced drawing in my own bedroom. The snap-caps give me the weight of a fully loaded gun and help with dry-fire.
    (Please remember all the safety rules!!!!)

Accidental discharge do not happen, if the weapon is handled correctly and not modified.

A book I can recommend in this case is "Surgical Speed Shooting: How To Achieve High-Speed Marksmanship In A Gunfight"

Please be safe!

Ready to fire

There should be one in the chamber. If the gun has a safety, it should be on until you need to use the gun. After taking the safty off the gun should be pointed at the target or pointed at the ground. Your finger should be off the trigger until you are ready to fire. Beware of what is behind your target.

I too am pretty new to CC. I can only carry when out of state so not too often. When I first got my permit I decided to carry with an empty pipe figuring it was safer and I would have time to rack one in when needed. It didnt take me long to figure out that was a lie. I always carry with one in the pipe, ready to go. It did take me a little while to get used to that but it doesnt bother me at all now.Most defensive situations happen in less than 3 seconds, not enough time to get yourself and your weapon ready.

1 in the chamber waiting to be used if needed. A Sig will not go bang unless you pull the trigger.
    Les Baer 45
    Sig Man
    N.R.A. Patron Life Member
    M.C.R.G.O.

The defensive weapon you carry on your person should be ready to fire immediately upon drawing the weapon.

There should be a round chambered if you use a semi-automatic pistol.

If there is a mechanical safety on the weapon, (as in a single action 1911 platform), the mechanical safety should be engaged when the gun is holstered and disengaged after you have made your draw and are bringing the weapon on target.

This Is Most Important: It is imperative that you are competent not only with the weapon you use, but the gear that carries your weapon before you start carrying a gun in public.

Do not rush things just because your permit arrives before you are ready.

You are absolutely responsible for everything that happens with that firearm and every bullet that leaves the barrel.

Society will come down hard on you for any irresponsible or negligent act you make. It can cost you every dime you've ever held or hope to make in the future and may even cost you your freedom.

There's no room for ignorance or mistakes when carrying a gun in public.

Reading books and magazines and such may help, but you have to read the right books and magazines. And you have to be smart enough to know the difference between sound reliable information and what is trash.

There is No Substitute for professional training, period.

If you are new to shooting a gun, and you plan on carrying a gun for self defense too, I strongly urge you to go beyond what is required in your ccw class and get some sort of basic training from someone who can not only evaluate your skills, but also provide reputable information and training.

Good luck and welcome to the forum! There are plenty of good decent folks here who are more than willing to help steer you in the right direction.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Distinguished Member Array orangevol's Avatar
    Welcome to the forum. Let me congratulate you for how much you have read and studied to prepare yourself before your permit arrives. I did the same thing as I thought about the responsibility that comes with carrying a firearm for protection.

As others have already stated your carry gun should always be in the ready to fire condition at all times.

Practice...practice...practice!!!

Distinguished Member Array Elk Hunter's Avatar
    Good to here you are spending time at the range. Know your weapon, holster, and ammo, train some more with a professional instructor. Believe me if you have a question there are plenty of other folks who will benefit from you asking.

Shoot straight

I carry with one in the chamber of my XD. As the saying goes, "Cocked, Locked, and Ready to Rock!"

In all seriousness, who knows if you will have time to rack the slide if an unfortunate incident occurs.
    Semper Fi - USMC 1987-1991
    God Squad 1985-Present

SA XD 40s&w Subcompact
    Ruger GP161 357 Magnum

If you've got questions, this is definately the right place to ask. But if you're going to carry, your weapon needs to be ready when you draw it.
    The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits. ~ Albert Einstein

Sig P229 DAK - .40 S&W
    Ruger SP101 - .357 Mag

As mentioned by others, your gun should be READY for action, when in the holster. You should have confidence in your gun handling skills to avoid an AD.
    FINGER OFF THE TRIGGER on your draw and return to holster. Finger on the trigger, once your are prepared to shoot.

Quote Originally Posted by sass20485 View Post
    As mentioned by others, your gun should be READY for action, when in the holster. You should have confidence in your gun handling skills to avoid an AD.
    FINGER OFF THE TRIGGER on your draw and return to holster. Finger on the trigger, once your are prepared to shoot.
    Amen!
    Semper Fi - USMC 1987-1991
    God Squad 1985-Present

SA XD 40s&w Subcompact
    Ruger GP161 357 Magnum

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Sponsored Links