Carrying while cycling (bike not motor)

This is a discussion on Carrying while cycling (bike not motor) within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Don't know how many (if any) here are cyclists or triathletes. I've got many friends who are triathletes and I wanted to inquire if when ...

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Don't know how many (if any) here are cyclists or triathletes. I've got many friends who are triathletes and I wanted to inquire if when you go out for training rides... do you carry? And if so... how? I'm sure those that go running do but I'm curious how you guys accomplish it while on the bike.

I've heard story after story about cyclists and triathletes training and being assaulted during the process. Stuff thrown at them through car windows, vehicles purposefully trying to run them off the road. Pulled off their bikes and beaten. Many of my friends are doing 40-80 mile training rides on back roads and I imagine the potential for encountering BGs with no LEOs within a 30 minute radius is pretty high.

So... do you carry while cycling? What extra precautions should one take while cycling? Special holsters? Squirrel runs across the road right between your tire spokes and you, your bike and your gun go tumbling at 25 mph end over end... are you and those around you safe? Don't laugh... my SA is always high while on the bike but I've had squirrels shoot out of bushes just barely missing my front tire several times before... scary! =)

Some fodder for you to chew on:
    Cyclist Assaulted for stopping at a yellow light.

Hit & Run

Cyclist beaten by 50 teens

Two cyclists attacked by three teens

Thanks in advance for the responses.

-Brock

I mainly mountain bike, but occasional will ride the road. Last year I just put my J frame into my camelback, and thought it was better than nothing. I did wear a Kabar folder or Spyderco Delica IWB. But I now have a smartcarry and am going to try it out while just sitting on the bike to see if it would be possible to actually ride with it. Gotta do something. Another option would be OC spray carried by the waistband.

Maybe wear a fanny pack? Or somehow attach a pack to the handlebars (as long as you don't walk away from the bike).
    Better to die on your feet, than to live on your knees.

tag
    As much as I hate them I use a fanny pack when I ride.

Actually, you'll find quite a few threads on jogging and cycling....just do a quick search.

I'm a triathlete and a fan of the fuel belt products. Along with a cell phone and ID, I carry my Seecamp whether cycling or running.

I do leave it behind while swimming though.......
    "Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in a grey twilight that knows not victory nor defeat."

Theodore Roosevelt

They used to make a bag that attached to the frame of the bike under the seat, it was triangular. It was designed so that you could place your bike on your shoulder and the bag would pad the shoulder making carrying/fording the bike easier. That bag would fit a Kahr, or Airweight SW.

What about one of the holster shirts, designed for undercover work? Tight, wicking, and designed to hold a small frame pistol or revolver. I'd build a padded case that mounted on the down tube like a water bottle. That way you'd have access while riding. Good luck

Quote Originally Posted by David in FL View Post
    Actually, you'll find quite a few threads on jogging and cycling....just do a quick search.

I'm a triathlete and a fan of the fuel belt products. Along with a cell phone and ID, I carry my Seecamp whether cycling or running.

I do leave it behind while swimming though.......
    Yea... I guess searching "forums" instead of searching "blogs" probably would have turned up something! =) I was surprised when I did the search and no posts were returned. After seeing no results I just figured maybe cyclists aren't the type to carry (which surprised me). That is the reason I prefaced my post with "if any" when inquiring about cyclists here.

Good to see that there are some cyclists and triathletes who carry!

I don't bike, but do go running. The dog serves sufficiently as protection from dangerous squirrels.

DCT
    I'm an avid racer (Road, TT, CX, MTB ...) and personally there's no way I would consider carrying one of my guns while riding. It would be nice, but then again I have thousands of dollars invested in a light weight racing rig .. and the biggest danger in my experience is the car coming up from behind and there is little you can do it they really are intent upon causing you injury. I've had my share of encounters with motorists .. many who have fair gripes with idiots on bicycles .. but they then decide to take out there frustrations on any and all cyclists. I've had guys slam their brakes on in front of me, head at me head on forcing me off the road, spray me with gravel and lob objects (full can of soda to the head) etc ... most of the time it will happen so fast you cannot do much and then they are gone before you can do much of anything.

A fanny pack (which is unrealistic if you are training to compete - IMHO) or a hydration pack (which I only wear on the MTB and only when I can't get away with a bottle alone). The hydration pack gives you the best option to carry a gun, but it's not exactly easy to get to it in an emergency and another reason I don't bother. For a recreational rider the fanny pack / hydration pack may work just fine .. assuming you have the time. I've only had 1 roadside conflict where the driver had the guts to get our of his car and come scream at a young lady on the roadside .. but he thought better when our team training ride of 8 guys showed up to join the "discussion" ... a helmet swing by the straps can hurt and I tend to think you're better off taking your cleats off if you actually have the time.

I have taken to carrying a Kimber Pepper blaster in my jersey after a suggestion from a local LEO. It's compact and light and something I think I can actually employ fairly quickly if need be. Face it, you're exposed as can be on the roadside in Lycra and shoes that don't exactly promote being overly graceful .. so to me it's about incapacitate and make tracks.

FWIW ...

VIP Member
    Reminder to self- Get back to bike riding

Whenever I ride I use a OWB retention button holster for my G27 and cover it with a long-tailed t shirt. I think bike riding holsters should have retention in the fact that a crash is likely to loosen your weapon. I'd rather for the EMS to find my holstered weapon than some kid find it in someone's yard later on.

You are pretty vulnerable on a bike, ride with a partner.

Quick access pepper spray for dogs?
    Turn the election's in 2014 to a "2A Revolution". It will serve as a 1994 refresher not to "infringe" on our Second Amendment. We know who they are now.........SEND 'EM HOME. Our success in this will be proportional to how hard we work to make it happen.

I just bought the Safepacker and am happy with the multiple variations of carry options.

Wilderness Tactical Products, LLC | Home of the Titanium Instructor Belt

Quote Originally Posted by DCT View Post
    and I tend to think you're better off taking your cleats off if you actually have the time. Face it, you're exposed as can be on the roadside in Lycra and shoes that don't exactly promote being overly graceful ..

FWIW ...
    When seconds count... I don't know if I would be fast enough to get out of my cleats for a toe-to-toe confrontation. And god knows I'm not gonna go swinging a Ka-Bar while IN cleats... I would be rear-first on the ground in a matter of seconds. It seems like on a bike... you are just overall vulnerable (especially road bike with cleats). Can't really avoid a hit & run from behind... not going to be able to muscle your way back on to the road if a truck is pushing you off... really aren't going to be able to outrun a vehicle, and if you don't get out of those cleats quick you aren't going to be able to outrun those "teens on foot". I guess you could avoid the situation completely and just give up that part of your life but that doesn't seem right.

I could see pepper spray in the back pockets of a cycle jersey as an alternative... not quite sure how you could have a handgun on your person in cycling attire without it printing (unless you used a fanny pack).

DCT
    Quote Originally Posted by Brock View Post
    When seconds count... I don't know if I would be fast enough to get out of my cleats for a toe-to-toe confrontation. And god knows I'm not gonna go swinging a Ka-Bar while IN cleats... I would be rear-first on the ground in a matter of seconds. It seems like on a bike... you are just overall vulnerable (especially road bike with cleats). Can't really avoid a hit & run from behind... not going to be able to muscle your way back on to the road if a truck is pushing you off... really aren't going to be able to outrun a vehicle, and if you don't get out of those cleats quick you aren't going to be able to outrun those "teens on foot". I guess you could avoid the situation completely and just give up that part of your life but that doesn't seem right.

I could see pepper spray in the back pockets of a cycle jersey as an alternative... not quite sure how you could have a handgun on your person in cycling attire without it printing (unless you used a fanny pack).
    Brock, I don't disagree with your statements at all. My point with removing your cleats is that if forced to go toe-to-toe on the roadside .. I'd rather do so in my stocking feet that in a pair of road cleats. I mentioned this as a buddy of mine did this once .. but luckily the situation diffused before any punches were thrown. :-)

There have been a few stories on the news about some paved trails that I frequently ride where in the afternoons and evenings, people will string fishing line across the bike path... tied up to a couple of trees. People don't notice the wire, get clotheslined off the bike and pounded to the pavement. Guys come up and are off with your bike, car keys (if they can find where you parked... your car) anything else you have on your person and you are lucky if that is all (don't take a beating first). I've luckily never experienced that and I won't say it happens all the time but I recall more than one story on the local news describing the same thing.

That safepacker does look like an interesting alternative. I might have to check that out. Thanks for the link. Now let me ask a (probably silly) question. Would the safe-packer be considered "a holster". And if so... in states that don't allow open carry... would you then have to conceal the safepacker inside something else? There are a couple of places I could see on the tri-bike where the safepacker would fit nicely and still be aerodynamic (not that I have to worry about aerodynamics which MY body shape). Just curious if that could be construed as a holster and if so would open mounting it be construed as open carry?

and personally there's no way I would consider carrying one of my guns while riding. It would be nice, but then again I have thousands of dollars invested in a light weight racing rig .......

Light is for racing.......heavy is fine for training!
    "Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in a grey twilight that knows not victory nor defeat."

Theodore Roosevelt

then again I have thousands of dollars invested in a light weight racing rig ..
    OT but curious... what kinda rig do you have?

I've got a Quintana Roo Seduza, all carbon with a Dura Ace / Ultegra mix package. Was three grand at the time (3 years ago) but they've come down in price quite a bit (think the '09s you can get for $2,000). Actually a little bit too much bike for me but I learned rather early that with many things in life... you do get what you pay for.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Links