Musings of a new member of the concealed carry community...

This is a discussion on Musings of a new member of the concealed carry community... within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Glad to hear that your experience, so far, has been a good one. The trick is to not get complacent and sloppy. It's a big ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Musings of a new member of the concealed carry community...

Glad to hear that your experience, so far, has been a good one. The trick is to not get complacent and sloppy. It's a big (serious) responsibility and it should be handled with the utmost care. Practice, practice, practice, and be safe. Good Luck!

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by PiperLambie View Post

. . . . On more than one occasion I have been in queue with many people . . .

Cheers!

I think I can detect a slight British accent.

Am I mistaken or are you enjoying a right that the government of your country of origin denies you?

Concealed means concealed, and if it is concealed why should anyone freak out???? Just remember being legally able to carry is not a magic cure all for protection. It is just the begining, what should follow is many, many hours of dry practice, as well as live range time. I agree with the above member, never become complacent, or feel you are bullet proof. I have been CCing for almost 14 years now and my wife took het class a few weeks back, I spoke to the guys at the gun shop and they said the vast majority taking the class will never return for the 5 free range visits they give everyone taking the class. That's really sad, because most of them were first timers. Carrying a firearm is a HUGE responsibility and should be taken very, very serious. The members on this forum are the minority I am sad to say!!

NCH
    When Seconds Count, The Cops Are Just Minutes Away!!
    Carry On!
    NCHornet

Quote Originally Posted by Bark'n View Post

Hey even if you have a big honkin bulge on your hip... as long as it's covered, the will never give it a second thought.

In the summer I often carry a Springfield XD9sc in my front shorts pocket with a Desantis Nemesis pocket holster. It bulges like all get out, but it does not have an obvious gun shape and no one has given it a second glance.

Just remember, covered bulges are really not a problem. You are legally carrying and it could be anything.

However, "flashing" or exposing the weapon is a major party foul that may have serious repercussions.

Thanks for your post and welcome to the dark side.
    oh so true.... I carry a Glock 26 the same way, and no one ever notices.

Oh ya... welcome to the world of DC

Quote Originally Posted by Firkin View Post
    I think I can detect a slight British accent.

Am I mistaken or are you enjoying a right that the government of your country of origin denies you?
    Actually I am proudly United States born and raised. The slight accent and verbiage comes from large amounts of time spent visiting those relatives (in the U.K. and Canada) that do not enjoy my rights. It is a difficult habit to break after 24 years of living partially exposed to it.
    It's Great to be a Florida Gator!

Gene Police: "Hey You! Out of the Pool!

nice post. nice story. best wishes.
    Save a Greyhound. Adopt one.

Actually I am proudly United States born and raised. The slight accent and verbiage comes from large amounts of time spent visiting those relatives (in the U.K. and Canada) that do not enjoy my rights. It is a difficult habit to break after 24 years of living partially exposed to it.
    Sometimes I find myself slipping into the same verbiage, but that is due primarily to me watching too much BBC and the semester I spent in London back in the 80s.

VIP Member
    The slight accent and verbiage comes from large amounts of time spent visiting those relatives (in the U.K. and Canada)
    I was going to ask the same question. That plus your id made me think it might have been a wee bit to the north in the UK.
    Μολὼν λαβέ

I'm just one root in a grassroots organization. No one should assume that I speak for the VCDL.

I am neither an attorney-at-law nor I do play one on television or on the internet. No one should assumes my opinion is legal advice.

Veni, Vidi, Velcro

Congrats to a fellow FNP-9 owner!! How do you like it so far?

Interesting post - thanks.

I do sense some weirdness in follow-on posters referring to the great unwashed masses as sheep, sheeple or the picture of ewe. It also creeps me out when someone feels the urge to laugh about having a ccw. Feeling like you're Superman cloaked in your Clark Kent persona seems somewhat odd to me.

Ridiculing people who don't share your concerns for personal safety and willingness to accept this responsibility is not a sign of a thoughtful person. Some are simply unaware it is an option.

I feel it is an awesome responsibility and, yes, even a burden. However, some people seem to be called to this responsibility. As I practice and await my permit due any day, I feel a bit a kid whose father entrusts him to go to the store on his own for the first time. Looking down my nose at others doesn't seem like an appropriate frame of mind.

Just my $0.02

VIP Member
    Good post Piper and welcome to the fold from another FNP-9 carrier.
    You have to make the shot when fire is smoking, people are screaming, dogs are barking, kids are crying and sirens are coming.
    Randy Cain.

Ego will kill you. Leave it at home.
    Signed: Me!

Quote Originally Posted by DaveH View Post
    I was going to ask the same question. That plus your id made me think it might have been a wee bit to the north in the UK.
    Actually, aside from shooting, my other hobby is playing in a world-travelling competition pipe band, which is where the name came from.

Quote Originally Posted by kccad View Post
    Congrats to a fellow FNP-9 owner!! How do you like it so far?
    One of the best pistols I have shot- hands down...not to mention it comes with an ambi decocker standard...which makes it stand out to southpaws who are DA/SA fans like me- even over the Sig...
    It's Great to be a Florida Gator!

Gene Police: "Hey You! Out of the Pool!

Carrying for your defense is a great thing isn't it?

Welcome to the club and glad you have had such good experiences with it.

Very good write up on your CC experience so for too.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

Actually, aside from shooting, my other hobby is playing in a world-travelling competition pipe band, which is where the name came from.

One of the best pistols I have shot- hands down...not to mention it comes with an ambi decocker standard...which makes it stand out to southpaws who are DA/SA fans like me- even over the Sig...
    Welcome to the forum, Piper', from a fellow Celtic musician! Your post was inciteful and well-crafted (and also seems to have acquired paragraph breaks).

My young bride, also a lefty, has the FNP-9, and I concur that it's an outstanding handgun. She loves it and is extremely capable in its use. For myself, I'm an old-school single-action kinda guy, so I prefer my 1911s and Hi-Powers, but there's room for all on the bus.
    Cheers,
    Rod
    "We're paratroopers. We're supposed to be surrounded!" Dick Winters

NCHORNET WROTE
    "I spoke to the guys at the gun shop and they said the vast majority taking the class will never return for the 5 free range visits they give everyone taking the class. That's really sad, because most of them were first timers."

You raise an excellent point. I was amazed by how many people in my class had never even touched a firearm prior to that day. The shooting standards are so low that it's virtually impossible to fail. One person actually screamed after every shot....lol. I'd like to see the basic marksmanship portion of the class be much longer and more intensive. I left the class feeling that most of my fellow students knew just enough to be a public menace.
    Last edited by PNUT; February 28th, 2009 at 01:54 AM. Reason: messed up the quote function.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links