Musings of a new member of the concealed carry community...

This is a discussion on Musings of a new member of the concealed carry community... within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Rather than immediately set out for Wal-Mart and then immediately post in the typical fashion upon reciept of my permit, I decided to carry for ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Rather than immediately set out for Wal-Mart and then immediately post in the typical fashion upon reciept of my permit, I decided to carry for a while (about a month) and just muse on the experience overall. First, the ice breaker and the ongoing reminders of carry. It is funny; if you are reading this and have not gotten to carry yet, realize that everyone's advice is correct: when correctly concealed and carried, no soul will notice that you are packing. I carry an FNH FNP9, in a Crossbreed Supertuck, at about my 7:30-8:00 (I am a lefty). This gun all but disappears as soon as my top shirt goes on, but the feeling of vulnerability to people noticing is unavoidable...at first. I have made multiple trips to multiple Wal-Marts, Shopping centers, and many other (legal) locations for me to carry without even the slightest glace of recognition by people.

The defining realization that people just don't notice a properly concealed weapon came when at Panera Bread one day. I take online classes, and will often use the free internet at Panera to change up the environment I do school work in. On more than one occasion I have been in queue with many people, including some local and state law enforcement, and never once has anyone given me a look of recogntion to the fact that I carry. It is these experiences that really help to ease the nervousness of carrying concealed. I carry every day, and when I can't carry on my person, Florida law permits me to leave it loaded in the car (in legal locations), so my pistol is never too far from me.

As I write this, I am in the same Panera, with people walking to and fro in their own little worlds, and I am nothing more than a fellow patron. The fact that I have my 16 rounds of 9mm hollowpoints ready to rock and roll, should it ever come to that, is not even a consideration in the minds of these people. This is a great experience, in that it is comforting to know that the concealed "secret" is as quiet as you choose to keep it. This has been truly life changing for me in a positive way, and while I pray every day and night that I never have to use this tool in my defense, I know that I am as ready as I can be should the moment arrive. My biggest lesson learned is that safe and responsible concealed carry is possible as long as you leave no reason for others to single you out as a person "packing heat."

I want to thank the people who I have, and continue to, interact with for giving me lots of ideas that I could sift through to develop and use my own methods of training and carry that leave me capable of protecting myself and my loved ones in that moment everyone hopes never comes. DefensiveCarry is a great resource that always leaves me thinking about something new when I log off. Best wishes to all on here, and may we all be kept from the moment that we dread happening, but steadfast in our readiness to perform against evil if it does.

Cheers!
    Last edited by PiperLambie; February 24th, 2009 at 02:04 AM. Reason: to break up what ended up being a giant blob of words- didn't seem that way when I typed it.
    It's Great to be a Florida Gator!

Gene Police: "Hey You! Out of the Pool!

glad your experience has been good. I have just begun carrying about a month or so ago, and I feel so much more confident. Not confident like I'm just waiting for a time to use it, but I feel good about myself and taking responsibility for my own life and those I love.
    Smith & Wesson M&P9cCrossbreed Supertuck
    Ruger LCP
    Nitecore EX10 R2
    SOG Access Card 2.0

The half I read was a really good post and I expect to come to the same realization, much like forgetting the words you carefully practiced for a speach, no one else will notice because they weren't looking for it.

That said... please use the "Enter" key.

Be safe, be confident, practice, practice, practice and never ever be complacent.

How about some paragraphs? Even double spacing, anything to break that up some, I didn't bother to finish it, way to busy.

Regardless of what you posted, welcome to the club.
    Also, I like your avatar.

Hey even if you have a big honkin bulge on your hip... as long as it's covered, the will never give it a second thought.

In the summer I often carry a Springfield XD9sc in my front shorts pocket with a Desantis Nemesis pocket holster. It bulges like all get out, but it does not have an obvious gun shape and no one has given it a second glance.

Just remember, covered bulges are really not a problem. You are legally carrying and it could be anything.

However, "flashing" or exposing the weapon is a major party foul that may have serious repercussions.

Thanks for your post and welcome to the dark side.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Good musings for sure. Thanks for sharing.

As others, I echo that "paragraphs are your friend".
    "It's a big gun when I carry it, it is also a big gun when I take it out” – Clint Smith

Welcome to the America our founding fathers gave us.
    It’s so much easier now days, to "Love and honor" my wife, when she is armed, and shoots a better group than I do. (Till death do us part, eh?)

“The way you get shot by a concealed weapons permit holder is, you point a gun at him,” the Sheriff said.

Sometimes it makes me laugh when I see people walking all around completely unaware that I am carrying. It's a scary realization that its so easy to conceal a firearm.
    Wreck'em Tech! Go Red Raiders!

I have the Signess!

Sig Sauer P225 Montage Suisse / Sig Sauer P238 / Sig Sauer P226 9mm CPO / S&W M&P9c

Quote Originally Posted by WC145 View Post
    How about some paragraphs? Even double spacing, anything to break that up some, I didn't bother to finish it, way to busy.

Regardless of what you posted, welcome to the club.
    Also, I like your avatar.

Yes, paragraphs....

Tough read for sure. Congrats.
    My Music: www.reverbnation.com/dickiefredericks
    New tunes added.
    "The Double Tap Center Mass Boogie. Learn it, know it, love it, shoot it. Good guys should live, bad guys not so much. " - Ted Nugent 09

As part of my SA routines I believe that I make people often, yes even in Walmart and Publix. Even when I am wearing my black Galco fanny pack, which SCREAMS gun to anyone in the know, it is extremely rare for me to get that look and nod from anyone other than a LEO. Contrary to some conventional wisdom, I tend to overtly make that eye contact and nod when I am a pedestrian in the vicinity of a Uniform or Detective type. I always get what I read as an appreciative nod in return. Every once in a while an Officer will engage me in a confirming and positive chat about it. I have friends on the local force and they warn me about the youngsters but the veterans all seem nothing but positive about my approach in specific and responsible 2A in general.

So, welcome and cheers. I am new in this forum too. Be cool. And just a hint - people are easy to make when they do that little mental maneuver and body twist when they wonder, "am I printing?".

Great post! The greatest feeling in the world is knowing that you have the tools available to defend yourself or others if the situation arises. The second greatest feeling is knowing that no one can tell.
    Duty, Honor, Country...MEDIC!!!
    ¡Cuánto duele crecer, cuan hondo es el dolor de alzarse en puntillas y observar con temblores de angustia, esa cosa tremenda, que es la vida del hombre! - René Marqués

Excellent post and a good read. I just got home with my 3 1/2 year old daughter from McDonalds, where she played on the inside play area for 1 1/2 hours (need to bring something to read next time). I was carrying 10+1 .45 acp in my Glock 30 which is in a Tagua OWB holster at 3 o'clock, with an extra 10 round magazine at my 9. I dress around my gear and know one is ever the wiser and I prefer it that way. It is a great feeling to know you are armed and ready and have the mindset to do what is necessary if it comes to that, praying it never will.
    Sejune
    Glock 30 .45
    Springfield XD 9

You describe the state of carry pretty well. I didn't have any problem reading it! And I love your avatar!
    Weapons list suppressed...........

Absolutely a great read. You actually had something to say that was worth reading. Thanks
    I don't carry a gun because I feel inadequate.

I carry a gun because unarmed and facing three armed thugs, I am inadequate.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links