Minimum residency for license...

This is a discussion on Minimum residency for license... within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Do most states require that you be a resident for "X" amount of time before you apply for a license? Is there a list somewhere ...

Do most states require that you be a resident for "X" amount of time before you apply for a license? Is there a list somewhere that mentions each state's minimum residency requirement if such a thing even exists?

Moving this summer to one of 7 states and am curious as to how long it will take me to get my permit after moving to that state.

Not in VA. The permit does ask you to list other addresses withing the last 5 day period. Do a search for CCP in those states that you may move to.

Well I'm not worried about IL or IA... I am curious about CO, WY, NE, PA & OK though.

Looking around I found this: pdf link

Now I guess the gray area comes into "when are you considered a resident"? The moment you move to the state? The moment you get your Driver's License? After a certain period of time?

Once I know which state for sure I'll just contact the state and find out for sure. Just hoping it isn't like most colleges... they don't treat you as an actual resident until you have lived there for at least a year.

VIP Member
    Here's Oklahoma's requirement:

TITLE 21 1290.9 Eligibility
    ELIGIBILITY
    The following requirements shall apply to any person making application to
    the Oklahoma State Bureau of Investigation for a concealed handgun license
    pursuant to the provisions of the Oklahoma Self-Defense Act. The person must:
    1 Be a citizen of the United States;
    2. Establish a residency in the State of Oklahoma. For purposes of the
    Oklahoma Self-Defense Act, the term residency shall apply to any
    person who either possesses a valid Oklahoma driver license or state
    photo identification card and physically resides in this state or has
    permanent military orders within this state and possesses a valid driver

license from another state where such person claims residency;

I believe most 'non-communist' states only require you to have a driver's license (which will have your instate address on it)...meaning that you live within the state.
    Pretty simple in FL...you can become a resident the day you move here.
    Now residency for other things within the state may require you to have that residency for a specific period of time, i.e., college tuition in state costs (one year of residency), etc.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Just need a DL for Indiana.
    Kahr CW9
    Sig P239/9mm
    Ruger LC9 (when the girlfriend lets me carry her gun)

"First Duty is To Remember"

In NC it is a minimum of 30 days of residence. A lot of people here don't have driver's licenses, many because they can't seem to not drink and drive. Unfortunately a DUI doesn't preclude one from gun ownership or concealed carry (Though IMO if they are that irresponsible with a car how are they going to be with a gun in public).

So in cases where one doesn't have a DL I'm not sure how it works since our permits are attached to your DL number. I do know that utility bills are often used to establish residence here.

Distinguished Member Array T Bone's Avatar
    Obviously it'll vary from State to State. I'd go to Hangunlaw.US and follow the links to the page for each of the States you're interested in.

Michigan (which is NOT on your list, but someone else may be interested?) requires 6 months to establish residency for a CPL. But if you move here from out of State and have a CPL from that State, you can obtain one here instantly (thanks PCON, for letting us in on that little known bit of knowledge!).
    Regards, T Bone.

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety". Benjamin Franklin

I see it is not on your list, but FWIW Texas is a little funny on that.
    Texas requires you to be a resident for six months. Unless, that is, you have a valid carry permit from another state! I moved from Maryland, with a Florida non resident permit and they had no problem me taking the class and getting my CHL at my first opportunity.
    Read the fine print on any states residency requirement, there might be a way to avoid needless delays!
    Infowars- Proving David Hannum right on a daily basis

Wyoming is six months. Most people come here for work, which is fairly plentiful here, and their first winter drives a lot of them out. So I think to cut down on paperwork it works best this way.
    "Those who would give up essential liberties for a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty or safety" -Benjamin Franklin-

Links