Dumb Question about Gun Carry Signs

This is a discussion on Dumb Question about Gun Carry Signs within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; In Virginia, any sign will do. I carried in my bank 3 times before I finally noticed the sign. It was low down(about waist height) ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Dumb Question about Gun Carry Signs

In Virginia, any sign will do. I carried in my bank 3 times before I finally noticed the sign. It was low down(about waist height) on the door. It was a gun with a circle and an line through it. It was also about the size of a half dollar.

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by hawkster View Post
    Thanks everyone. As others said, keep it concealed which was and remains my intention. I just wanted clarification on the "legal" sign referances.

Thanks!!

I did try to read the TN (I saw Memphis as your location)laws but I couldn't stay with it.

If you have a CWP you should have been instructed on the signage IF your state requires any level of training. With that in mind, hit up your instructor, if that is the case, or dig through the law until you find it for yourself.

In either case learn the law and how it applies to you. We can't be much more than a guide dog here sorry.
    Certified Glock Armorer

It's not an issue of the signs being "legal" it is a quesiton of is the sign legally enforceable.
    Each state has it's own standards ranging from the signs meaning nothing to going to losing your weapon and your permit and maybe jail and a fine for ignoring a sign.
    Know the laws in any jurisdiction where you will be carrying.
    Example. A previous post mentions the 30.06 signs in Texas. The law clearly specifies what is required for the sign to be legally enforceable. I went into a local government building near my home yesterday, and noticed that the sign they had was only a clear sticker with black letters and the whole thing was about the size of a cigarette pack. This sticker was on a glass door and was practically invisible when viewed from the outside. The sign clearly did not meet the standard set by law to be legally enforceable. But that doesn't mean the sign is not "legal". It just means I am free to ignore it if I so choose.
    Infowars- Proving David Hannum right on a daily basis

Distinguished Member Array nutz4utwo's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by hawkster View Post
    Please forgive me if this is a dumb question
    Oh, and there are no dumb questions, only dumb politicians...

Each state is different and you have to look at your states specific laws. In MN it is spelled out down to the size of the sigh as to how it must be written and placed. Any deviation means to me that the owner is trying to make the sheep happy while not really complying with the law. The sheep don't know the difference, I do.
    DEMOCRACY IS TWO WOLVES AND A LAMB VOTING ON WHAT TO HAVE FOR LUNCH. LIBERTY IS A WELL ARMED LAMB CONtestING THE VOTE.

Certified Instructor for Minnesota Carry Permit
    NRA Pistol and Personal Protection Insrtuctor
    Utah Permit Certified Instructor

Lightbulb If they don't want me to carry

If they don't want me to carry they don't want me to buy.

A local gun store has a sign that says "Absolutely no loaded firearms allowed in store."

What's up with that?
    Quote Originally Posted by atctimmy View Post
    If you really need it, you will need it really fast. ALWAYS one in the chamber.
    Nuf said!

Quote Originally Posted by cv7713 View Post
    A local gun store has a sign that says "Absolutely no loaded firearms allowed in store."

What's up with that?
    While I don't agree with the sign, I think I can answer that one. I work 2 days a week in a gun store and you would be surprised how many people take out their loaded weapons to see if a holster fits or bring in a gun for sale or consignment and hand it to you with the comment: "It ain't loaded". Then when we drop the magazine it is loaded, when we open the slide, a round ejects. Unfortunately many who carry do not carry responsibly. Even so, our shop is not "posted".
    NRA life member.

In reference to the stores (other than gun shops) who post these signs- what they don't know won't hurt 'em. As was stated before, concealed means concealed- i.e. don't draw attention to yourself. I have carried and will continue to carry in a lot of places I can't. My piece is a lot safer on my hip than in my glovebox...

I will say that if I saw a sign outside of a gun shop that said "No guns allowed" or something similar, they would not be getting my business. As for stores and other places that have signs asking us not to carry, I will abide by their wishes just for the fact that it's their decision as to who and what they allow on their private property. As for pistol free zones, I am allowed to carry in pistol free zones but if I wasn't legally allowed, I would never do so. I would not risk my license or my freedom to break the law. Granted, I feel that CPL holders should be able to carry anywhere, but until the laws are changed, I would not recommend it to anyone wishing to stay out of trouble.

Quote Originally Posted by cv7713 View Post

What's up with that?
    Why not get the store owner and simply ask?
    Some have said that they have problems with people bringing loaded guns to sell. Som folks like to discuss their firearms, branishing them, loaded of course.

IT'S NO FUN WATCHING an inexperienced firearms owner unload a gun at the counter. He/she has no worldly idea, WHERE A SAFE PLACE IS TO POINT the gun.

ASK, and you will receive.
    Certified Glock Armorer

Quote Originally Posted by Stainless45 View Post
    In reference to the stores (other than gun shops) who post these signs- what they don't know won't hurt 'em. As was stated before, concealed means concealed- i.e. don't draw attention to yourself. I have carried and will continue to carry in a lot of places I can't. My piece is a lot safer on my hip than in my glovebox...
    Strong words. Advocating we break the law.
    Will you be available for our court appearences?
    Will you help help with the lawyer fees?
    Will you protect us after we lost our right to CW's because we took your advice?

I think not. I will continue to abide by the law as I understand it. Those that post don't get my revenues nor my answer to a cry for help.

We all make choices, I hope your's works out for you.
    Certified Glock Armorer

Quote Originally Posted by H8SPVMT View Post
    Why not get the store owner and simply ask?
    Some have said that they have problems with people bringing loaded guns to sell. Som folks like to discuss their firearms, branishing them, loaded of course.

IT'S NO FUN WATCHING an inexperienced firearms owner unload a gun at the counter. He/she has no worldly idea, WHERE A SAFE PLACE IS TO POINT the gun.

ASK, and you will receive.
    I did ask at Greentop in Ashland Va, because they used to have a sign, and I didn't see it the last time I was there. I was told by the employee I asked, that he had thought the sign was still there, but they had no problem with permit holders carrying with or without the sign. I told him that I was glad the sign was gone because carrying would be illegal if it was still there. I had left my pistol locked in the car because I knew there was a sign there previously. In the past, just about every clerk at Greentop was open carrying when I went in there. On my last visit I only saw a couple carrying.

Glad somebody else brought that up.........

So for instance, we have a local mall in here in my Texas town that has a "no weapons on premises" sign. It even has a picture of a handgun with a circle/bar through it. However, this sign is etched on the glass. There is no 30.06 sign. Does this make it null and void in regards to concealed carry?
    Our kindness may be the most persuasive argument for that which we believe.

-Gordon B. Hinckley-

Opinions from Michiganders

I know there are more experienced members here from Michigan. What is the concensus on signs in Michigan. If the sign is present are you automatically in violation if you carry, or do you need to be requested to leave and refuse, before you could risk a criminal trespass charge. The statues I believe only mention gun free zones and that in other cases you must leave if requested, but make no mention if a sign is considered a request.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links