Few Questions about NH / MA Gun Laws.

This is a discussion on Few Questions about NH / MA Gun Laws. within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have a Glock 36 and a CC Permit just incase that matters. Is it legal for me to leave my gun in my car.. ...

Thread: Few Questions about NH / MA Gun Laws.

Few Questions about NH / MA Gun Laws.

I have a Glock 36 and a CC Permit just incase that matters.

Is it legal for me to leave my gun in my car.. locked in a box which is attached to something stationary (ie to hardware under the seat), if i go into the gym to play basketball?

I live on the MA border, how is it legal for me to travel across into MA without having to leave my firearm at home?

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array Pro2A's Avatar
    Put simply if you are in NH with a NH permit you are OK. Do not go to MA with your gun, unloaded or not. Not even a quick dip.

If the gym is in NH, you can have the gun where ever you want. On you, in the car, loaded or not. That is your choice. If the gym is in MA... I'd suggest finding another gym in your state.

In Delaware, East of the Mason Dixon Line.
    Doesn't MA still have a non-resident permit?

Edit: Yes they do http://handgunlaw.us/states/massachusetts.pdf
    "To believe that social reforms can eradicate evil altogether is to forget that evil is a protean creature, forever assuming a new shape when deprived of an old one." - SAT

Never argue with an idiot - they'll bring you down to their level then beat you with experience.

Quote Originally Posted by bbqgrill View Post
    Doesn't MA still have a non-resident permit?
    I've heard that they do issue them to non-residents easier then residents. It may be worth the $100 bucks a year if you are right on the border... but someone like me who rarely goes there, it's not worth it.

Quote Originally Posted by xxsjxx1 View Post
    I have a Glock 36 and a CC Permit just incase that matters.

Is it legal for me to leave my gun in my car.. locked in a box which is attached to something stationary (ie to hardware under the seat), if i go into the gym to play basketball?

I live on the MA border, how is it legal for me to travel across into MA without having to leave my firearm at home?
    Join the club, I'm right next door in Vermont and end up in MA weekly
    I just get in and out of MA as quick as I can, leave your firearm at home. I would not risk it.
    In God we trust, Everyone else we monitor...

You are not allowed to leave a gun in a vehicle unattented....loaded or not. You must be in possession of your firearm at all times in MA.

I know definately not in mass... but when ibought my gun in nh he said it was illegal to leave it unattended in my car, if it was locked and attached to my car would that make a difference?

I know definately not in mass... but when ibought my gun in nh he said it was illegal to leave it unattended in my car, if it was locked and attached to my car would that make a difference?
    No you can't have it in your car period in MA loaded or not, unless you have a MA permit to carry.

The only way you can have a gun in MA is unloaded, locked in the trunk and only if you are passing thru the state, or are going to a range or gun shop.

Quote Originally Posted by Pro2A View Post
    No you can't have it in your car period in MA loaded or not, unless you have a MA permit to carry.

The only way you can have a gun in MA is unloaded, locked in the trunk and only if you are passing thru the state, or are going to a range or gun shop.

sorry i was referring to NH, my home state... is it okay to leave it locked in a lockbox attached to my car while im at the gym?

sorry i was referring to NH, my home state... is it okay to leave it locked in a lockbox attached to my car while im at the gym?
    In NH as long as you have your permit you are legal to do what you want with it... i.e. leave it in the car (loaded or unloaded), or on you. Just be sure its out of sight.

Ok thanks for the info guys

Distinguished Member Array T Bone's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Pro2A View Post

Related question (sorry for the thread drift), if I am travelling to Ma. for an overnight stay, am I legal to keep the weapon in the trunk as you describe, so I may have it with me for personal protection at the hotel overnight (I would presume it is legal to be armed in the home for defense, my hotel becomes "residence" does it not?). Curious on this, as I do drive to Ma. for an overnight for various business matters once in awhile.
    Regards, T Bone.

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety". Benjamin Franklin

Quote Originally Posted by T Bone View Post
    Related question (sorry for the thread drift), if I am travelling to Ma. for an overnight stay, am I legal to keep the weapon in the trunk as you describe, so I may have it with me for personal protection at the hotel overnight (I would presume it is legal to be armed in the home for defense, my hotel becomes "residence" does it not?). Curious on this, as I do drive to Ma. for an overnight for various business matters once in awhile.
    If the hotel is part of the "travel thru" then you should be ok. If it's an extended stay I wouldn't risk it.

Links