Knife Attack in Bar

This is a discussion on Knife Attack in Bar within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; What would you have done as a Conceal Carry patron in this bar scene? From the St.Paul (MN) Pioneer Press 2/10/07: http://www.twincities.com/mld/pioneerpress/13834947.htm article: Bar assault ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Knife Attack in Bar

Knife Attack in Bar

What would you have done as a Conceal Carry patron in this bar scene? From the St.Paul (MN) Pioneer Press 2/10/07:

http://www.twincities.com/mld/pioneerpress/13834947.htm

article:
    Bar assault to bring charges
    A 21-year-old Anoka man will be charged with assault, possession of a dangerous weapon and underage consumption after he is released from a hospital, Winona officials said Thursday. Jonathan H. Minor is suspected of stabbing a Winona bar bouncer five times after Minor was told to leave the bar about 11 p.m. Tuesday. According to Winona police, Steven D. Adams, a 24-year-old bouncer at Schyde's Drinks and Whatnot Bar, was stabbed after he approached Minor and several friends who earlier had been asked to leave. Minor also was injured in the fight and suffered lacerations to his hands. Minor, whose 21st birthday was Wednesday, was apprehended at the Second Street bar. Both men were taken to Community Memorial Hospital in Winona. Adams was transferred to Gundersen Lutheran Hospital in La Crosse, Wis., where he remained Thursday in fair condition. Minor was transferred to St. Marys Hospital in Rochester, Minn. When Minor is released, the Winona County attorney said Thursday, he will be taken into custody and charged. — Kevin Harter
    Last edited by Kat; February 10th, 2006 at 03:23 PM.
    Luke 22:36 And He said to them, "But now, whoever has a money belt is to take it along, likewise also a bag, and whoever has no sword is to sell his coat and buy one."

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    Not a lot of info. However no CCW in bars where I live or in states where I carry. So I would be an unarmed bystander. That makes me a witness. Seems the bouncer gave it to the minor pretty good (in the hospital), so it would seem he didn't need further assistance.

So can you guys in Minnesota carry in bars?

-Scott-

Yes, carry in bars is allowed in MN. Blood Alcohol limit of .04.

No, not much info. Was the bouncer an "unwilling participant" (this must be present in order to use lethal force in MN)?

Maybe it's one of those situations where finding the exit is my best strategy.
    Luke 22:36 And He said to them, "But now, whoever has a money belt is to take it along, likewise also a bag, and whoever has no sword is to sell his coat and buy one."

As a CCW, there wouldn't be much to do- in most localities, you aren't supposed to be armed, in a bar. Outside the bar, sorry, I've never carried enough ammo to handle everyone who might decide to get involved.

Having several friends who have/currently work security and clubs- one of them had a knife pulled on him after leaving the club. He promptly disarmed the guy and stuck the knife through the guy's shoulderblade. This particular friend has also blown out several knees and elbows -other folks- who thought they could belt/knife/bottle/chair fight. Rough work, you have to be prepared to play hardball.

Same as Scott, no carry allowed in TN where alcohol is sold for onsite consumption.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Kat
    Yes, carry in bars is allowed in MN. Blood Alcohol limit of .04.

No, not much info. Was the bouncer an "unwilling participant" (this must be present in order to use lethal force in MN)?

Maybe it's one of those situations where finding the exit is my best strategy.
    Short of the bouncer being down and the minor doing his best to kill him I would be a witness. Pulling my pistol would be an absolute last resort. From the sounds of it the bouncer wascut up, but still managed to put the minor in the hospital, so unlikely I would have to worry about the bouncer.

-Scott-

No carry in bars in MI. Fox 5.3 in left hand and Cold Steel Gunsite in right hand. I never go to bars because I don't drink and try to avoid places I can't carry.

If he is 21, how is he charged with underage consumption?
    07/02 FFL/SOT since 2006

The dringking/stabbing took place on Tuesday @ 11 p.m., the punks birthday was Wednesday. Missed it buy one hour.

No CCW in Texas bars...a call to 911 would seem to be in order. As long as the bouncer was holding his own, I'd be a witness. When it started going the other way, I think I would've found the largest implement of destruction available and applied it repeatedly until the attacker stopped, hopefully with the help of other bystanders. No sense in letting someone die when there are other options available...drunks can do some really stupid things. They're similar to poison ivy, avoid them if possible.
    noli nothis permittere te terere...

The best way to win a fight is not to be there. I can't remember the last time I was in a place that had a bouncer. The very fact that a bouncer is present is a hint as to what kind of clientele the place might attract - I have no use for that.

No restriction on carry in bars here, but if I were to go into one of the places for a beer, I would be unarmed since I won't drink and carry. That's another reason I wouldn't be there.

Geez, I guess I'm no fun anymore!

SSKC

Quote Originally Posted by Kat
    The dringking/stabbing took place on Tuesday @ 11 p.m., the punks birthday was Wednesday. Missed it buy one hour.

That sucks. My brother got a similar thing, only about a week shy of 21.
    07/02 FFL/SOT since 2006

Assistant Administrator
    Too little info. I can carry in a bar - and if I do I ain't drinking of course.

I would doubt tho I personally would be in any place that requires bouncers!! Not often in any bars either.

I doubt tho too if I had been there - most unlikely it could have been a shooting scene - simply because too many people almost certainly. It would have to be a witness-only drill for most observers. I could imagine someone skilled on CQC fighting intervening to disarm the punk - but hey - as said, really not enough data to build a credible scenario.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

In NC, if I even pulled a gun in a bar, I would be in more trouble with LE than the punk or the bouncer! No carry anywhere alcohol is bought and consumed, even Pizza Hut, where they sell beer.
    "Let not your heart be troubled." John 14:1

USN Retired Vietnam/Desert Shield/Desert Storm

i wouldnt be armed with a gun but i would have some fox brand pepper spray to put the guy down with.

Easy for me. The instructor at my 1st CHL class gave a What would you do Q. & we each had to answer. His was bar too. I said Nothing. I would not be there. Hey, CNC Marine, just noticed your avitar. Good job. With your forum name, might you be a machinist. Me too.
    Carry 24-7 or guess right.
    NRA Life Member/TSRA Life Member
    Texas CHL Instructor. www.pdtraining.us

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links