Defensive Carry banner

Interesting slip up..

4K views 35 replies 29 participants last post by  BkCo1 
#1 ·
So I had an interesting slip up at work the other day that I thought I would share with you guys so that you may laugh at my stupidity. This story must be prefaced by an explanation of my work environment:

I work in an office where everybody (literally everybody) voted for Obama and/or has Obama t-shirts, bumper stickers, etc. They are all very much against guns and 2A rights. Typical :sheep:. I commute 60 miles one way to work every day, and most of that commute is on the bus. I am not so stupid as to ride the public transit systems with the types of people that come with that unarmed. My daily routine is as follows: Strap on the G33 OWB on the strong side, and clip my spare mag holder and cell phone holder on the weak side. Then I cover up with a jacket and head out. I am armed until I walk into the door to my office, at which time I go to the closet and disarm. I leave my weapon secured in my closet, in a backpack, within my office.

The other day I did this normal ritual, rode the bus to work, got to my office, took the G33 off the strong side and the mag holder off the weak side, and headed out to meet with a co-worker at my desk. I was talking with him, and needed to make a phone call. I reached down and grabbed my phone from the holder. At that time I realized that what I held in my hand was in fact not my phone from the holder, but my spare mag from the mag holder! In my complacency, I had put the G33 and CELL PHONE in the pack, leaving the spare mag on (they sit right next to each other on my belt!). I dont *think* my :sheep: coworkers noticed, although there was no way to be sure. Nothing was said about the mishap, so I am assuming that nobody saw. It sure was a wake-up though!

See less See more
#3 · (Edited by Moderator)
I work in an office where everybody (literally everybody) voted for Obama and/or has Obama t-shirts, bumper stickers, etc.
Let's see.

You work there, right?

So, "literally everybody" means.... :wink:

#4 ·
I'd say you work in a hostile work environment. You should complain to HR. As for the mistake, it's easy to get into a routine and make a mistake without even knowing it until it is too late. Good thing you didn't swap the phone for the gun.

#5 ·
Funny... I did the same thing the other day getting out of my car. My neighbor came over to talk. As I see him coming over I slip my pistol back into my car. I also had mail in my hand. After 5 minutes of conversation I look down and notice my spare mag sitting on top of the mail in my left hand clear as day. :22a:

Not sure if he noticed, but during the conversation he brought up the fact he likes to collect guns... so no harm done. :bier:

#6 ·
Is there any way or have you considered keeping your weapon concealed on you during the work day? Locking up in closet makes one lonely G33 that's not very available if needed quickly. If not, I would carry cell in different location like front breast pocket during commute.

#12 ·
I work in healthcare security. Unfortunately, this means I cannot carry. If it was just company policy, I would say "screw that, I'm carrying". I have to be licensed as an unarmed security guard through the state of WA to work at my current employer. If I carry "while carry out my duties at work (AKA on the clock)" then I have violated the LAW regarding ARMED security guards, not just my employer's policy. Now I am in more of an administrative/supervisory position at my employer, as in I have my own office/desk etc, but that does not change the fact that I am registered as an unarmed security guard at my current employment.

#7 ·
When I was buying my car, I left my pistol in the console, locked the car and went inside to do the paperwork. Well, the salesman had to go to the car to retrieve something, and low and behold, he found the pistol(didn't think he would have looked there). :gah: Later he told me that he saw it and of course was cool about it!
It's nice living in a gun friendly State!!! :wink:

#9 ·
I know that you're trying to balance the weight on both sides, but don't put the phone and the mag holder so close together. You could find yourself in a gunfight and have to reload. You might try to put your cell phone in your handgun and the magazine will still be in its holder. It's just a bad practice.

#19 ·
People have tried to speedload cellphones, knives, and all sorts of crap into their pistols instead of magazines. That said, I think it's OK to clip both the cellphone and mag pouch on the same side, as long as the mag is in front of the cell phone, so your hand will reach it first.

#11 ·
I work in an office where everybody (literally everybody) voted for Obama and/or has Obama t-shirts, bumper stickers, etc. /QUOTE]

Let's see.

You work there, right?

So, "literally everybody" means.... :wink:
HAHA. OK well not everybody. I DID vote, and I DID NOT vote for Obama...

#13 ·
LOL, a similar thing happened to me last week. We were out with some friends and my GF reached around behind me to hook her hand in the back pocket of my jeans - right where my spare mag was sitting upright in a pocket holster next to my wallet. She gave me a look and then somebody said something to her. I took advantage of the distraction and the relative noise and darkness of the place to swap the mag and my Flip Mino camcorder that was in another pocket.

When her attention was back to me, she whispered "is that your gun?" and I pulled out the Mino - "what, this???" with my most innocent face. It's not exactly the same dimensions as a 9mm Kahr mag, but the general rectangular shape and smooth hard surface and the two glasses of wine she had already imbibed were enough to convince her of her (ahem) mistake. :saroll:

#25 ·
Some of my 'funniest' range stories have to do with speed/combat loading and watching "experienced" people grab thier cellphones and try 'inserting' them into thier carry guns.

I carry like the OP describes most of the time and I make it a point to 'practice' with my cell in place just to insure I don't make that mistake when/if i need to while my heart rate is up in a moment of crisis.

Lesson learned I'm thinking for OP. Experience is the best teacher.

#24 ·
You should look into your states public transportation laws. They might fall under federal territory.

In CO, you can not carry on pubic transit (bus, light rail).

#33 ·
#29 ·
I ride the bus frequently here, sometimes in Miami. You're silly if you're not carrying.

J

#31 ·
I was distracted the moment you mentioned that you had a 60 mile bus ride. Holy cow!

If it makes you feel any better...

A few years ago I and a couple of employees were hanging out around the front door of our office, end unit of a business strip center, non emergency ambulance transport company, just after dusk on a hot summer day.

Car rolls down the drive in front of out lot real slow, makes the circle at the end, rolls back. This puts me in orange alert. Just as they get past our door, a barrel comes out of the back window and we hear a quiet (suppressed) semiauto firing. I instinctively draw my strong side OWB weapon and take cover against the slanted wall that leads into the door. Or did I? I have my work pager in my hand, in the ready position! Oops!

Turns out they were firing a semiauto BB gun at a neighboring business' store front and vehicles.

#35 ·
One in the pipe, 12 in the mag and 12 more in the former now redundant/surplus cell phone holster. :rolleyes:

:theyareontome:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.