Moving to Hawaii, now what??

This is a discussion on Moving to Hawaii, now what?? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; can I come with you. I love HI....

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Moving to Hawaii, now what??

can I come with you. I love HI.
    Save a Greyhound. Adopt one.

2. Remove Ads

Senior Member Array preachertim's Avatar
    How do you Hide a 1911 IWB with a Grass Skirt?
    Why Would A Preacher ever need a Gun? Its Not for the Sheep , its for the Wolves!

Springfield Armory Service XD 40
    Taurus PT 1911 45 acp Taurus PT 101, PT 92
    Ruger 22/45 Ruger P95 9mm, Ruger SR9
    Kahr CW 40, Heritage 22, Rossi 38 special

I was stationed at Pearl for 3 years (been back in America about a year now) and the gun laws in Hawaii are a "bit" on the strict side. All privately owned pistols must be registered and are pretty much only allowed to be in your car as you transit to and from a range.

If you shoot at a range they are supposed to ask for proof of registration before allowing you to shoot (some do some do not)

Crime is pretty high, I personally never had any problems but a lot of the guys I worked with had incidents here and there. In the end its like any city, be careful of where you go as there are bad areas.

So, enjoy the pineapple (I don't like stateside pineapple near as much) drink tons of coffee (tough to beat 100% kona) if you don't SCUBA dive now, start when you get there. There are companies that give great deals to the military. If you don't golf you are missing out, great courses are everywhere.

However, if you really want a home defense gun take one you wouldn't be horribly upset if it got stolen and leave the rest back in America.

Any other questions about Hawaii lemme know always happy to help.
    A dozen means twelve, learn to count bakers! - Stephen Colbert

Colt 1991A1 and S&W M&P 45 Compact

Quote Originally Posted by archer51 View Post
    Since you are military are you going to be residing on base while your there? Does the base have a range you can shoot at? Can you store a weapon in the base armory? Things you might want to check out. Just because you will not be able to carry is no reason not to be able to keep in practice. Not talking about taking all your guns with you, but maybe 1 or 2 handguns to practice with. Check and see if the base has a Rod&Gun club. They should be able to answer some questions you have.
    My suggestion is to never leave your weapon in the arms room. First of all it might be safe there but getting access is really hard. You usually have to have your CDR allow you to remove it and that means getting the armorer to open the place up to get it and put it back. That is under the assumption that you have time on the weekend to do it. Also at least here at fort lewis, there are limits to the amount of ammunition that you can store in the arms room. I think it is under AR 190-11 if you are in the army. When I left for korea, I left all my stuff with a friend and felt safer about it. Hope that helps.

I was stationed there for 6 years. No carry at all.
    "Just getting a concealed carry permit means you haven't commited a crime yet. CCP holders commit crimes." Daniel Vice, senior attorney for the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, quoted on Fox & Friends, 8 Jul, 2008

(Sometimes) "a fight avioded is a fight won." ... claude clay

Distinguished Member Array Squawker's Avatar
    Aloha! I love Hawaii, but in addition to a horrendous cost of living, I wouldn't want to live there given the anti gun laws. I haven't even been back in 32 years. Back then, my ex's cousin was post commander of Fort Derussy, the military resort on Oahu. The beach was nicer than Waikiki, at least back then. HE and his wife took us around the island, nice to have locals there. Eventually, he ticked off a General, and ended up training Ski Patrol in Vermont. Sorry for the digression. At least I hope that you enjoy the islands, and also I hope that your military service allows you to at least keep your guns with you.

Last I read, Hawaii has a May Issue law that has NEVER issued.

Good Luck.

But if you can't carry, you're still in Hawaii, enjoy what you can. My wife and I moved there, right after we got married, for 2 years. Great hikes, great food, great beaches. Lots to enjoy.
    ~Coriantan~

"When seconds count, the police are only minutes away." * "Don't bring a knife to a gun fight."

Quote Originally Posted by coriantan View Post
    Last I read, Hawaii has a May Issue law that has NEVER issued.

Good Luck.

But if you can't carry, you're still in Hawaii, enjoy what you can. My wife and I moved there, right after we got married, for 2 years. Great hikes, great food, great beaches. Lots to enjoy.
    The rumor I heard was a town mayor was once issued a permit in HI.
    With a state constitutional amendment identical to the 2A, you'd think you'd at least have shall issue. It seems as if the people just don't care.
    "The right of the whole people, old and young, men, women and boys, and not militia only, to keep and bear arms of every description, not such merely as are used by the militia, shall not be infringed, curtailed, or broken in upon, in the smallest degree..."
    Nunn v. State GA 1848

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links