Moving to Hawaii, now what??

This is a discussion on Moving to Hawaii, now what?? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Just got orders to Hawaii! While excited, my preliminary research has demonstrated that I will be going into a much less gun friendly state than ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Moving to Hawaii, now what??

Moving to Hawaii, now what??

Just got orders to Hawaii! While excited, my preliminary research has demonstrated that I will be going into a much less gun friendly state than that in which I currently reside (Virginia). So, anyone have advice on the following:
    - Bring all guns, a small selection, or none at all?
    - Any leeway for military in trying to get a carry permit? (I hear it's pretty much impossible for most people)
    - Any types of guns to definitely leave on the mainland? (AR-15, Hunting Rifle, etc?)

Thanks!
    "Do your duty in all things. You cannot do more, you should never wish to do less."
    "Save in defense of my native State, with the sincere hope that my poor services may never be needed, I hope I may never be called on to draw my sword" - Gen. R. E. Lee

2. Remove Ads

We went there a couple years ago, and I did some extensive research regarding Hawaii firearms laws. As a result I left mine at home, and carried mace and a knife.

They basically fallow national transport laws, however, you may only have a firearm in your vehicle if you’re going to or from a range, and the firearm has to be unloaded, stored in your trunk, separate from the ammo.

Unless you’re an LEO or have requirement to carry from your work in the military, carrying a sidearm will be out of the question.

There a bill going through the Senate right now, that may start a national CCL acceptance.

You may want to write both of your Senators… regarding voting against cloture on S. 160

Here's what is written in the, "Traveler's Guide to the Firearm Laws of the Fifty States".

Hawaii

Traveler's checklist:
    *Firearms ownership: restricted, registration required within 72 hours of arrival
    *Assault weapon ownership: restricted in same manner as standard rifles and shotguns; ownership of assault pistols prohibited
    *Machine Gun Ownership: individual ownership of machine guns prohibited
    *Firearm law uniformity: no preemption law, localities may pass their own gun laws
    *Right of Self-Defense: no castle doctrine
    *Open carry: license issued on a discretionary basis, valid in county where issued; no reciprocity for carry permits from other states
    *Vehicle carry and transportation: firearms generally not allowed in vehicles unles one has a Hawaii permit to carry. (see below for exceptions)

Although it is doubtful anyone would ever take a "road trip" to Hawaii (absent construction of a very long bridge), travelers to America's fiftieth state may still find themselves inquiring about state regulation involving the carry and possession of firearms. Hawaii has very strict laws in this area. All firearms must be registered with authorities within seventy-two hours of entering the state. Handguns may not be possessed without first acquiring an approval permit from the police. Shotguns and rifles do not require a possession permit. But registration is still mandatory. Personal ownership of machine guns or any other Class III items is strictly prohibited. Semi-automatic military rifles are currently treated the same as rifles and shotguns with increased regulation a possibility. Assault pistols such as the TEC-9 and M-11 are prohibited along with any high capacity pistol magazine capable of holding more than ten rounds.
    Vehicular travel is extremely limited for all firearms. It is unlawful to carry rifles, shotguns or handguns in a vehicle unless one has a permit. Licenses to carry are available to local residents in theory. In practice, the police will not issue permits to anyone. An exception to the general prohibition on vehicular transport allows an individual to carry unloaded and securely cased firearms from the point of purchase to home or from home to a firing range. Non-residents may have a difficult time fitting into this exception unless they have relatives living in Hawaii. Concealed or open carry of a firearm by anyone on foot is strictly prohibited unless one is engaged in lawful hunting with a proper permit. The bottom line for Hawaii is that firearm ownership, especially by non-residents, is difficult, if not impossible.

I'm sorry to be the bearer of bad news with regard to firearms in Hawaii. It might be better to leave your guns in the custody & care of someone here in the states.

But that's the opinion of one person.
    "Gun control is being able to hit your target."
    Glock 26

To add my $0.02, I think you must prove to the local governement that your life could be danger in order for them to grant you permission to have a gun and for most people like myself my life isn't in danger so I wouldn't be allowed to have a gun in Hawaii.

Distinguished Member Array Reborn's Avatar
    Just send me all yours guns and I will shoot them and keep them cleaned for you. Ah, you will furnish the ammo too, won't you........
    Psalms 144:1
    Blessed be the Lord my strength, which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight.
    Senior Instructor for Tactical and Defensive of Texas
    http://www.tac-def-tx.com/
    CHL INSTRUCTOR
    Retired LEO
    NRA member
    TCHA member

Try giving this place a call, maybe they can do something for you or at least offer some advice.
    Hilo - Keauka Ha Military Reservation, 1046 Leilani St., Hilo, HI 96720.
    Phone: 808-933-0926
    Facilities include: Outdoor Pistol (100yds), Outdoor

bosco

I'd store them with someone I trusted beyond belief.
    Les Baer 45
    Sig Man
    N.R.A. Patron Life Member
    M.C.R.G.O.

As far as your firearms and HI,

Sorry for your loss. When you get back to America, if you ever do and it hasn't changed beyond recognition, welcome home.

These are scary times we live in. Our form of government is supposed to represent "the people". That's a joke as far as I'm concerned.

It is encumbrant on "the people" to elect represenatives that will do their duty to the Constitution. We the people have failed miserably in that respect, and have for years.

Biker

I have lived in HI twice for 7 years. I would not take any guns. It used to be that you had 7 days to take them down to the police station to be registered. Crime is common. My house was broken into and a Browning Hi-Power was stolen before I could register it. Calling the cops after the break-in they told me they could arrest me because I was a few days late registering it. "Just kidding"-yeah, right. Very gun unfriendly. My car broken into 3 times at the airport before I got smart and never left it there again. Leaving for the last time, a Spyderco stainless police model knife taken out of my luggage because agriculture x-rays (probably changed with TSA now) the luggage with the redcap standing there and they know what is in the luggage. Get a good knife and watch your back and realize you may lose your knife out of your luggage someday.

VIP Member
    Since you are military are you going to be residing on base while your there? Does the base have a range you can shoot at? Can you store a weapon in the base armory? Things you might want to check out. Just because you will not be able to carry is no reason not to be able to keep in practice. Not talking about taking all your guns with you, but maybe 1 or 2 handguns to practice with. Check and see if the base has a Rod&Gun club. They should be able to answer some questions you have.

Being in the military, you may not have to register your guns, at least thats the case in california. I don't have to register mine unless I plan on becoming a permanent resident. But you are going to be subject to Hawaii's carry laws, with probably no military exemption. And as far as assault rifles, if you are living on base, it should be up to their regulations. If not, then you might be able to get a involuntary resident exemption, because you are ordered to live there.
    USMC Sergeant
    NRA Certified Instructor
    Utah BCI Certified Instructor
    Utah Self Defense Instruction- Utah CCW, Discount NRA memberships/renewals
    Gun Blog,CCW News and Reviews

Living there, you start to realize many people are 'on the take'. If you move guns (even rifles have to be registered) the movers will know you have them. It seemed that the break-in folks knew what they were looking for so soon after moving in. Just be careful. Maybe you can rent a gun at the military range. There is a whole group of anti-haole, anti -American mainland, anti -military folks. A little bitter are we?? Let's just say I will never spend a tourist dollar there. And no, HI will not give you a break for being in the military.

The pineapple is great...that's about it.
    Hope your time passes quickly.

Your service, however, is greatly appreciated!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

One does what is necessary to protect one's self and family.

Quote Originally Posted by tns0038 View Post
    We went there a couple years ago, and I did some extensive research regarding Hawaii firearms laws. As a result I left mine at home, and carried mace and a knife.

They basically fallow national transport laws, however, you may only have a firearm in your vehicle if you’re going to or from a range, and the firearm has to be unloaded, stored in your trunk, separate from the ammo.

Unless you’re an LEO or have requirement to carry from your work in the military, carrying a sidearm will be out of the question.

There a bill going through the Senate right now, that may start a national CCL acceptance.

You may want to write both of your Senators… regarding voting against cloture on S. 160
    The amendment you quote was removed from the bill. This bill will die eventually anyway as it is blatantly unconstitutional.
    You'll rock, with a 357 Glock

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links