Just got my NYS carry permit!!

This is a discussion on Just got my NYS carry permit!! within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; To start, My name is Jason, 23yo, from upstate NY. I just picked up my permit from the Sheriffs office today. Im Very excited in ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Just got my NYS carry permit!!

Just got my NYS carry permit!!

To start, My name is Jason, 23yo, from upstate NY. I just picked up my permit from the Sheriffs office today. Im Very excited in many ways, and a little nervous.

i dont yet have a "carryable" handgun, but im working on it. Ive got a med-frame Ruger 357,w/6" barrel... so i cant exactly conceal it.

i have been doing alot of reading since i applied for my permit, in regards to rules, regs, and issues. Im tryin to research carrying in the workplace.
    I work for a small security company as a dispatcher, and i work all nights(c-line) location could not be worse.... very un-desirable neighborhood. i really want to carry here while on duty, and i am not sure how to approch it with managment.
    any suggestions?
    A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercises, I advise the gun. While this gives moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprise and independence to the mind...Let your gun therefore be your constant companion of your walks. --- Thomas Jefferson

2. Remove Ads

Congrats on the permit, Jason!

There are a lot of great folks here to give you advice and ideas on concealed carry and attendant issues.

On the workplace issue, you might directly ask the owner if they have an informal policy that prohibits or allows concealed carry. I assume as a small company they have few written "formal" policies, but could be surprised.

You could pose the question on a theoretical or hypothetical basis "since the neighborhood" is a bit tough. Just make sure he doesn't live next to the office.

Welcome!

VIP Member
    Congrats on the permit, and welcome from Middle Tennessee!

Rock and Glock's suggestions seem sound to me! Good luck!
    If the public are bound to yield obedience to laws to which they cannot give their approbation, they are slaves to those who make such laws and enforce them.--Samuel Adams as Candidus, Boston Gazette 20 Jan. 1772

Veteran--USA FA
    NRA Benefactor Life
    Tennessee Firearms Association Life

Congrats and welcome!!!
    My Music: www.reverbnation.com/dickiefredericks
    New tunes added.
    "The Double Tap Center Mass Boogie. Learn it, know it, love it, shoot it. Good guys should live, bad guys not so much. " - Ted Nugent 09

FordDriver

Congrats on the permit!

Are you one of the fortunately few in NYS that have a license with no administrative restrictions (carry only for target shooting or hunting)?

Regarding your employers attitude, it's tough to say. If you ask and they give you permission and the unthinkable happens they could share a portion of the responsibility and liabilty for how you use or misuse the firearm on their property. In this liability phobic society we live in many companies would not risk that exposure.

Full Concealed Carry!
    but id love to see legal open carry, as they say, an ARMED society is a safe society!

as for the issues at work, I have good reason to want to carry, let alone that it is MY LEGAL RIGHT.
    Ive seen all sorts of crime right in the back parking lot of my job... drug deals, prostitution, and petty larceny(guy got into a co-workers vehicle and stole several items). even had someone jimmy the latch on the outer foyer door and set the alarms off one night, i nearly bumped into him as i was checking the building on my round, only a door and a lexan window between us as he took off out the door!
    It really bugs me walking out at midnight some nights to my truck. I really wanted to have a sidearm many times.
    I guess i should sit down with managment and discuss it.
    wish me luck
    A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercises, I advise the gun. While this gives moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprise and independence to the mind...Let your gun therefore be your constant companion of your walks. --- Thomas Jefferson

glad for your ccwp

Cong on ytour ccwp what part of upstate do you live in, about carring on the job a lot of companies do not allow it simply due to insurance purposes, even though it may be a security firm unless there are other security employees who have permits related to their security jobs, I know it sounds crazy but thats the way it is with the insurance co.

Ulster County. I live in the Catskills, but work in City of Kingston

Distinguished Member Array Siafu's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 2edgesword View Post
    FordDriver

Congrats on the permit!

Are you one of the fortunately few in NYS that have a license with no administrative restrictions (carry only for target shooting or hunting)?

Regarding your employers attitude, it's tough to say. If you ask and they give you permission and the unthinkable happens they could share a portion of the responsibility and liabilty for how you use or misuse the firearm on their property. In this liability phobic society we live in many companies would not risk that exposure.
    Full Unrestricted Carry is not too difficult to get in NY as long as you aren't anywhere near that hell-hole called NYC. All the liberal stupidity has expanded out from the center of Manhattan and turned brains into tofu as far as Albany. Luckily for me I'm further west. Unfortunately NY political types are most easily infected with the anti-itis. Case in point: Carolyn McCarthy. Her single minded agenda is so myopic that it makes Governor Patterson look like he has 20-20 vision. Only the political power brokers like Chuck U. Schumer get carry permits in NYC while he fights tooth and nail in the Senate to strip away our rights to lawful gun ownership. Welcome to NY, you're gonna love it here.

Congrats on the new permit!
    Research the employee handbook...if there's nothing there...keep your mouth closed (don't tell anyone)......don't ask about it either.

Stay armed...concealed is concealed...stay safe!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

VIP Member
    Welcome to the forum and congrats on your permit.
    I agree with retsupt99. If the company doesn't have a written policy and you haven't been specifically told you can't carry don't ask.

Quote Originally Posted by archer51 View Post
    Welcome to the forum and congrats on your permit.
    I agree with retsupt99. If the company doesn't have a written policy and you haven't been specifically told you can't carry don't ask.
    +1 If not written and not specified verbally, DON'T ask. This is one of the few times I agree with the statement, "it's better to beg forgiveness than ask permission."
    ~Coriantan~

"When seconds count, the police are only minutes away." * "Don't bring a knife to a gun fight."

If you ask your boss for permission and they don't have a policy, they may tell you not to carry. Because of the liability issue.

As others have said, if it's not in the handbook, don't ask. Just follow the wise advise of your own signature line: "Let your gun therefore be your constant companion of your walks."

From another nystater,congrats and stay safe!
    Always be alert and aware!!!

Given what you described, I also recommend carrying a good light!
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links