Defensive Carry banner

Just 2 days short of 8 weeks got my CCW

5K views 26 replies 25 participants last post by  Rock and Glock 
#1 ·
Just thought I let people know its taking about 8 weeks to get your CCW permit here in Butte county, California.
just got my permit today in mail :danceban: :banana:

#4 ·
Congrats!

Congrats to you The Equalizer... VERY exciting!

Would you please share a little about the process you went through within your county?

I'm looking at applying for a CCW soon, albeit in San Bernardino county.

Any info you could share would be appreciated!

Congratulations again!
-Jeff

#6 · (Edited)
Lets see I had to attend a 4 hour safety class and firearm qualification test. the written test had 17 questions and had to get at least 12 right to pass. The the firearm test you had to hit 26 out of 30 shots at 21 feet and that was for each weapon you were qualify for on your permit up to 4 weapons. full and dim lighting. This class cost 65.00, after you pass all that you go down to the Butte Co sheriff office, give them $138.00 fill out the app and have good cause to carry which my cause was I carry large sums of money on dark county roads I am the manager of two Liquior stores some miles apart. Than do the electronics finger prints, and thats it you wait. 8 week wait for DOJ and FBI results

#7 ·
That's great! I don't like it that we have to get permits but It still feels great to be able to exercise what rights remain!!!!

There's also a sense of responsibility too but I think it's also great having my gun with me. It's a bit of piece and I just like guns so I enjoy having it near by!

Congratulations!

Gideon

#8 ·
New here on the forum - I'm in Orange County, CA and after taking the 16 hours manadtory class - Personal interview at the O.C. Sheriff's station - Three demanding letter to the Sheriff - Letters for people and my shooting range - Close to $800.00 in fees and classes - Fingerprinted - And now, after 10 weeks I am still waiting for the call to go down and pay additional fees and have my firearms OK'd by the sheriff ... Still waiting - Still waiting. ~ THEY just don't make it a simple and time efficient task to get the CCW (Orange County, CA has 2.5+ million residents - Just over 1,000 CCW's have been issues and nearly 60% of those are judicial, ex-LEO's. - Oh well, if and when the time comes, it will all be worth the efforts, money and time............waiting!

#9 ·
Hi Fred and welcome :smilez:

Holy moly - hoops and hurdles and big bucks - but I guess if finally you come out with that precious permit it'll have been worth it.

Just so sad, the contrast between your ''system'' and mine - worlds apart and yet we live on the same great chunk of real estate!

#16 ·
Congrats on the permit! :hand10:

I've an idea how you must feel, just got mine today, too. It didn't go as smoothly as it normally does here in Florida, but the state offcials really did work on my behalf, not against me as they seem to do in other states.

Now go climb the nearest flag pole and "Long May You Wave!" :congrats:

mm

#19 ·
EQ,
It's good to know someone in California got a permit. My congratulations on your tenacity. Now carry your weapon all the time.It'll scare Barbara Streisand out of her sox knowing your armed and dangerous.

#20 ·
Congo-Ratz!

Carry for life!

#21 ·
The Equalizer, I hope that you don`t mind if I get in hear too.
I won`t mention "wishicould" with the secret issues, sheesh.

Anyway I live in Kern County, California. And yes I have a CCW.
You have to love our local Sheriff. While doing a radio interview the Sheriff states that if you live in the city and want a CCW, an have been turned down by the local PD, come and see him. The city is in the County.

I had my CCW before I heard the interview.

How it happened?
Took a class that lasted about 5 hours. 4 hours of classroom instruction, California Law, Fed. Law, cases on self defense explained, etc. Shot 50 rounds (instructed on target, range, rounds to fire, and when to fire). After completion of the class AND PASSING take certificate to the Sheriff`s Office and get application for CCW. Fillout application, pay XX amount of money and told to wait for up to 12 weeks for a reply from the DOJ. 8 weeks later I get a call from the Sheriff`s Office asking for me by full name. Told me I was OK`d for CCW and to come down and bring what firearm I will carry with me along with ID.

If you don`t try, you will never know.

#22 ·
Congrats, Equalizer. My wife and I will be making a short visit to Monterey County in April and it's good to know that there are still some people in the land of fruit and nuts who are alive, responsible and armed. I am taking my wife on a quick visit to where I spent most of my military career. Though it is not Fort Ord any more the neighborhood is the same.

Keep safe.

#23 ·
I'm a little lucky in that here in TX (I don't know about anywhere else) you can take the CHL class up to 6 months before you turn 21. And I plan to do exactly that. You send it in 1 month before your birthday. Hopefully I'll have it before by birthday.

#24 ·
texas is 10 hr course qualifing(3 yds,7 yds,15yds-total 50rds.) get fingerprinted, get passport photos taken then send in 140.00 to DPS and wait about 60 days. shall issue state is nice you don't have to come up with an excuse why you should be able to exercise your rights.

#25 ·
I went in to the sheriff"s office filled out application paid $52, got finger printed, asked were I got training, said Military. Three weeks later got license. I love Idaho

#26 ·
Thats all alot tuffer than what I went though to get mine. Went to the Sheriff's office got the application. Filled it out. Waited a couple of weeks, got a card in the mail that I was OK. went back to the Sherriff's office paid for the license (20 bucks then I think) and that was it. No clasess no nothing. Granted thats why most of the US does not recognise the CCW permit from the state of Alabama. But lucky for me the states that do are GA, MS, FL, and TN. Why would anybody want to leave the south anyways. O, there are several others, but I don't think that I want to go there right now.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.