Idiot at the TN Drivers License Service Center

This is a discussion on Idiot at the TN Drivers License Service Center within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Last week I had to re-new my TN DL. While waiting to have my photo taken a guy came in and stated he was there ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Idiot at the TN Drivers License Service Center

Distinguished Member Array orangevol's Avatar

Last week I had to re-new my TN DL. While waiting to have my photo taken a guy came in and stated he was there to apply for his handgun carry permit. The clerk asked for his paperwork including a certified copy of his birth certificate. He handed her a piece of paper and she responded, "Sir, this is not a certified copy." He said, "Yeah, I know it's the original." " It's as old as I am, because it's the birth certificate the hospital gave to my mother whan I was born." He kept re-stating this, getting louder each time he said it.

The patient clerk tried to explain to him she could only accept a state certified certificate and told him he could get one from the board of health. He ranted and raved at her and at one time and shouted, "You people seem to take pleasure in creating problems for people like me." He then collected his paperwork, turned and left with his young teenage daughter, who seemingly was not affected by his tyrate, obviously used to his behavior.

When the same clerk called me over to take my photo, I told her how sorry I was for how the guy treated her and how scarry it was that he was applying for a handgun carry permit. Her response was nice, "I guess he was just having a bad day."

I hope he fails the background check!!!

How many of you have come across others that you did not feel were worthy of carrying a loaded weapon?

Distinguished Member Array tinkerinWstuff's Avatar
    I know I couldn't help but wonder about a few people who were in the same CCW class as I.
    "Run for your life from the man who tells you that money is evil. That sentence is the leper's bell of an approaching looter. So long as men live together on earth and need means to deal with one another-their only substitute, if they abandon money, is the muzzle of a gun."

Who is John Galt?

Distinguished Member Array Doc Holliday's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by orangevol View Post
    How many of you have come across others that you did not feel were worthy of carrying a loaded weapon?
    I tend to see idiots at the range and at some gun shops that make cringe when I think of them owning/carrying firearms.

Now don't get me wrong,I am an ardent supporter of the RTKABA but some people are just too stupid to safely own and carry.
    Why Ike, whatever do you mean? Maybe poker's just not your game Ike. I know! Let's have a spelling contest!

Quote Originally Posted by orangevol View Post
    Last week I had to re-new my TN DL. While waiting to have my photo taken a guy came in and stated he was there to apply for his handgun carry permit. The clerk asked for his paperwork including a certified copy of his birth certificate. He handed her a piece of paper and she responded, "Sir, this is not a certified copy." He said, "Yeah, I know it's the original." " It's as old as I am, because it's the birth certificate the hospital gave to my mother whan I was born." He kept re-stating this, getting louder each time he said it.

The patient clerk tried to explain to him she could only accept a state certified certificate and told him he could get one from the board of health. He ranted and raved at her and at one time and shouted, "You people seem to take pleasure in creating problems for people like me." He then collected his paperwork, turned and left with his young teenage daughter, who seemingly was not affected by his tyrate, obviously used to his behavior.

When the same clerk called me over to take my photo, I told her how sorry I was for how the guy treated her and how scarry it was that he was applying for a handgun carry permit. Her response was nice, "I guess he was just having a bad day."

Well, as someone who has been there with "patient" and completely unreasonable government workers, I completely understand his frustration.

I don't think his getting visibly irritated with a clerk is a reflection on his right to keep and bear arms. Unless, of course, you think the entire nation should be "may issue."

Quote Originally Posted by Doc Holliday View Post
    Now don't get me wrong,I am an ardent supporter of the RTKABA but some people are just too stupid to safely own and carry.

Or vote. Or drive. Or serve in the military. Or have kids. Once you go down that road, you have to ask yourself "who, exactly, gets to determine if your fit for a Constitutionally guaranteed right?"

Maybe some of the people in YOUR CCW class were looking at YOU askance. I realize you might be posting tongue-in-cheek, but c'mon.

I feel that you are unworthy of being allowed to possess a handgun, or any firearm for that matter as you clearly have shown a lack of understanding in regards to the Constitution.

What I'm seeing is, "I have mine, and I don't care about the rest of you" attitude. Who in the name of all that is holy are you to decide whom is "qualified" or worthy of receiving a permit to carry, or own a firearm?

Sorry, but you have to take the good with the bad if you want to be able to hang on to your's for at least a little while longer. Now if this person was unsafe, then maybe you would have an issue, but from what I'm reading you don't.

Biker

Yeah, I agree Biker. Doc, I apologize that I came off flip in my last post to you. No offense meant.

However, the OP is playing into the EXACT same stereotypes the anti-gunners use to abridge our rights. Namely, that some CCW holder is going to go off half-cocked, get mad at someone and start blasting because they're upset the clerk at BK got their order wrong or something.

It doesn't help when we frat ourselves. I'm not saying the guy wasn't rude (I wasn't there), but he didn't do anything to prove he isn't fit to carry.

Hey from up the road in Arlington my friend.

I have come across a few people that I have wondered how they passed the tests and background checks required to get the HCP. Heck, I wonder how they generate enough mental energy to keep themselves upright let along drive a car or carry a gun.

Don't know what the answer is since the Constitution of the country, and our state says they are allowed. And really, seeing someone for a few minutes, when he may really have been having a bad day, doesn't tell you anything about them.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

Wait, so the original does not work??

playing devils advocate here, but it might have been his third time in the same line for different issues, as a Northerner from a "Blue" State I can appreciate his possible dealings with a uncaring almost hostile bureaucracy. That said, after watching the 16 yr old get a license to drive and almost hit my car while exiting the DMV last week I guess it goes crossed the board, where would you start?

I just don't see the issue.

From the little blurb you tell, it sounds like he might have gotten a little loud and frustrated. Otherwise, if it was the birth certificate that his momma got when he was born (and I have no reason to think it wasn't), they should have taken it without question. He didn't hit anybody. He didn't even cuss. All he did was express frustration.

I'm not perfect, so I'm not casting any stones. I once yelled at a guy who tried to squish me between two pallets.

It worries me a lot more that uninformed people vote.
    I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on Earth.--Steve McQueen

VIP Member
    While I can understand the guy being frustrated, he has no one to blame but himself if he did not read and understand the requirements. If the permit paperwork calls for a certified copy of his birth certificate that's what he should have had with him.

While showing his frustration and taking it out on the clerk doesn't show a level of maturity, it definitely doesn't mean he shouldn't have a permit.

Getting fed up with the bureaucracy and paperwork and passionately voicing their displeasure and opinion about it, would not concern me one bit about them owning a gun.

Someone being passionate, or aggravated, when dealing with Govt agencies.. is pretty common............... usually for good reason.

Restricted Member Array SelfDefense's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Herknav View Post
    I just don't see the issue.

From the little blurb you tell, it sounds like he might have gotten a little loud and frustrated. Otherwise, if it was the birth certificate that his momma got when he was born (and I have no reason to think it wasn't), they should have taken it without question.
    The issue is that in most official applications a certified birth certificate is mandatory. No, the one from the hospital with your cute little footprints is not the official birth certificate. The necessary document is found at the appropriate government health agency in each state. It is extremely easy to get one and can be acquired overnight if necessary.

Ignorance is no excuse for being obtuse with a civil servant, especially after he was informed as to what was necessary.

I lose a little more faith in the 2A movement everytime I read a post like this.

It seems that some people think that 2A only applies to people who think, act, look, talk, dress like, listen to the same music, or even drive a car just like them.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Sponsored Links