Mesa County Colorado Commisioner

This is a discussion on Mesa County Colorado Commisioner within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Mesa County Commissioner - Colorado Finally, a county office allowing staff CC Commissioner Says Staff Can Have Guns - Denver News Story - KMGH Denver ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mesa County Colorado Commisioner

Mesa County Colorado Commisioner

Mesa County Commissioner - Colorado

Finally, a county office allowing staff CC

Commissioner Says Staff Can Have Guns - Denver News Story - KMGH Denver

DENVER -- Mesa County Commissioner Janet Rowland favors allowing county staff to arm themselves as a deterrent to threats.

Rowland told the Daily Sentinel that staffers would "need to get a conceal-carry permit."

"I don't think we should be giving out guns to them. I am not saying that," Rowland said. "What I am saying is that if employees have a concealed-carry permit, and they feel safer having a gun, I am OK with that."

Rowland said she was partially motivated by an incident at the courthouse where a man made a staffer feel uncomfortable. The staffer sent Rowland an e-mail. Rowland said she didn't know what to do and called sheriff's deputies, who arrived after the man left.

County Administrator John Peacock said he has had to walk people out of the building because the staff felt threatened. "It happens from time to time," Peacock said.

Angela Luedtke, an assistant county attorney, said clerks do have panic buttons and some training. She added, however, it had been some time since that training had been reinforced or updated.

"We actually do have an emergency plan for this building. We should be testing it once or twice a year," Luedtke said.

County Attorney Lyle Dechant said staffers may feel more stress because of the economy and that security threats may become prevalent. He said staff should be trained to deal with threats.
    We have the Federal Govt. going after a new AWB, and I am sure that handguns are on their list somewhere, along with CC. Yet at the state level in several places are at least pushing forward with CC. I don't get it. Colorado is a Dem state. This might turn into a State vs. Feds issues, not just Joe and Jane Citizen vs Big Brother.

If they would just address the evil black guns from a pro stance as well...

I'll see if I can dig up her address. I think we should send her a "Thank You", or other some such praise for good thinking.
    Sticks

Grasseater // Grass~eat~er noun, often attributive \ˈgras-ē-tər\
    A person who is incapable of independent thought; a person who is herd animal-like in behavior; one who cannot distinguish between right and wrong; a foolish person.
    See also Sheep

2. Remove Ads

Janet Rowland

PO Box 3193

Grand Junction CO 81502

970-244-1606

janet@janetrowland.com
    Sticks

A person who is incapable of independent thought; a person who is herd animal-like in behavior; one who cannot distinguish between right and wrong; a foolish person.
    See also Sheep

Sticks,

Colo may [now] be a Dem state but Mesa county & most of the other counties in western Colo are Republican by a huge margin, better than 2:1.

Thank you note sent:
    Dear Ms. Rowland,

BRAVO!

Your positive stance on allowing the Employees of Mesa County to carry concealed weapons on the job is to be applauded.

It is not often that people in your position have the courage to come out on this subject in the manner that you have.

Your opinion on this matter is truly grounded in "common sense".

Sincerely,

KenInColo
    (A resident of Montrose County)
    An armed populace are called citizens.
    An unarmed populace are called subjects.

VIP Member
    That's a good step forward.
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants."
    Thomas Jefferson

I got a reply from her

Thanks,XXXX.

The Sentinel took me to task on my comments in an editorial that is online right now and should be printed tomorrow. No surprise. They make a ridiculous comment that I was implying that when county staff is dealing with an irate person they should pull out their gun and throw them to the ground. But I wouldn’t expect any less from the Daily Sentinel.

I just don’t understand why there is a push to keep law abiding citizens unarmed and locked up- behind metal detectors. Seems it should be the other way around. Had teachers at Columbine been armed perhaps some of those children would still be alive.

Thanks for your e-mail.

Janet
    County staff should be armed, commissioner says

By LE ROY STANDISH

Friday, February 27, 2009

Mesa County Commissioner Janet Rowland favors arming county staff as a deterrent to threats.

“They need to get a conceal-carry permit,” Rowland said during a commission study session with county attorney Lyle Dechant, regarding recent security threats at the Old Mesa County Court House, 544 Rood Ave.

Her comment initially was laughed off. She then followed it with: “It would take care of it.”

A day after the meeting, Rowland was asked to elaborate.

“I don’t think we should be giving out guns to them. I am not saying that,” Rowland said. “What I am saying is that if employees have a concealed-carry permit, and they feel safer having a gun, I am OK with that. I don’t think we should prohibit them from having a gun.”

Rowland said neither the courthouse nor any other public place should be off limits to handguns in the possession of properly licensed individuals.

“In my opinion there is no gun-free zone because the bad guys always have a gun,” she said. “That right shouldn’t end when they come to work.”

It was Commissioner Steve Acquafresca who initially broached the subject of courthouse security Wednesday. He expressed concern over an incident a week ago on the third floor of the Old Mesa County Courthouse, where the commissioners and the county administrator have their offices. An upset county resident made the clerk feel so threatened she clandestinely sent an e-mail to Rowland, who was in her office on the third floor at the time, while the man stood in front of her desk.

Rowland said she did not know what to do and called Mesa County Sheriff’s Department spokeswoman Heather Benjamin. Deputies arrived within minutes, but by then the man was gone.

“It wasn’t the first time (a county employee was faced with a security threat),” Acquafresca said. “It won’t be the last time.”

County Administrator Jon Peacock said: “It happens from time to time.” He said he has had to walk several people down the stairs and out the building in the past because county staff felt threatened.

County Commissioner Craig Meis urged everyone in the room to put everything in perspective. Meis said the county treasurer’s office and motor vehicle division have incidents multiple times every day.

“We got to keep it in relation to other departments and areas,” Meis said. “They are more at risk.”

Angela Luedtke, an assistant county attorney, told the commissioners the clerks do have panic buttons and some training. She added, however, it had been some time since that training had been reinforced or updated.

“We actually do have an emergency plan for this building. We should be testing it once or twice a year,” Luedtke said.

“I think our employees deserve that,” Acquafresca said.

Dechant said with the economy the way it is, some county residents might be under an abnormal amount of stress, and security threats could become more prevalent. He suggested training county staff in proper protocol to deal with security threats and told the commission the training could be accomplished.
    I hope she sticks to her guns...so to speak.
    Sticks

See also Sheep

I received the same reply from Commissioner Rowland as did Sticks.

She knows all the good points of CCW & she's not afraid to speak her mind (on any topic), even if her thoughts might not be PC.
    An armed populace are called citizens.
    An unarmed populace are called subjects.

Quote Originally Posted by KenInColo View Post
    I received the same reply from Commissioner Rowland as did Sticks.

She knows all the good points of CCW & she's not afraid to speak her mind (on any topic), even if her thoughts might not be PC.
    That is true. I also e-mailed her and received a reply. Nice to see a local politician with good sense.

We need more Janet Rowland's holding office. She gets it!

A panic button will never stop an immediate threat ,It just alerts people to come clean up the mess
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Today's Article

Rowland's gun idea deserves to be shot down

Monday, March 02, 2009

Keeping public buildings safe and secure, both for the employees who work in them and the citizens who visit, is one of the most important responsibilities of government. And the task has, without question, gotten more difficult in recent decades.

But Mesa County Commissioner Janet Rowland’s shoot-from-the-hip solution to potential security concerns at the old county courthouse is decidedly off target.

Her initial suggestion, during a discussion about potential security threats at the courthouse, was to say that county employees “should get a conceal-carry permit” — a permit that allows them to carry concealed weapons.

Later, Rowland maintained she wasn’t advocating that the county give all of its employees weapons, only that if some employees obtain concealed-carry permits and feel more comfortable carrying weapons at work, the county should allow them to do so.

But either way, Rowland’s plan doesn’t really address the county security concerns. Her idea won’t “take care of it,” as she suggested.

We understand the thinking behind Rowland’s argument. In numerous articles and books such as John Lott’s “More Guns, Less Crime,” gun experts have argued that allowing law-abiding citizens to carry concealed weapons acts as a deterrent to crime in the general population. There is statistical evidence to support that argument, and it is one reason this newspaper supported legislation to create Colorado’s uniform concealed carry law.

But there is little to indicate that allowing public employees to carry concealed weapons in public buildings will improve security in those buildings.

Consider the incident that prompted the recent county discussion about security. An angry county resident confronted a clerk in the county administration area of the old courthouse and made the clerk feel threatened. If the clerk had a concealed-carry permit, would the situation have been improved? Would she have drawn her weapon and commanded, “On the floor, dirtbag. You’re out of line!” to the angry resident? Would the possibility of such a response make either county employees or citizens visiting the courthouse feel more secure?

To obtain a concealed-carry permit, a person is required to undergo some training in the law and in the handling of handguns. But to deal with a situation such as the one described here, one needs the kind of training given to police officers. Is the county willing to pay for that sort of training for all of its employees?

The best answer to security questions at county buildings is unfortunate but obvious. It is to install metal detectors and police security at one or more entrances to county buildings. That’s what is being done at public buildings from Colorado’s state Capitol to the Mesa County Justice Center. Before the new Justice Center was built, it was also used for a few years at the old county courthouse.

We sincerely hope that the security situation hasn’t reached the point that airport-style checkpoints are required to enter all county buildings. Perhaps having a uniformed officer patrolling the building during business hours would be a better solution for now.

If more security is needed, those are both far better solutions than hoping some unknown number of county employees are packing heat and trained well enough to use their weapons when an emergency arises.
    Sticks

See also Sheep

Distinguished Member Array tinkerinWstuff's Avatar
    We understand the thinking behind Rowland’s argument. In numerous articles and books such as John Lott’s “More Guns, Less Crime,” gun experts have argued that allowing law-abiding citizens to carry concealed weapons acts as a deterrent to crime in the general population. There is statistical evidence to support that argument, and it is one reason this newspaper supported legislation to create Colorado’s uniform concealed carry law.

But there is little to indicate that allowing public employees to carry concealed weapons in public buildings will improve security in those buildings.
    I fail to see the difference between the two. In their arguement, how are county employees any different than the rest of the state. Isn't this like the paper saying "we voted for it before we voted against it". I think the first paragraph in this portion I quoted was thrown in to difuse the arguement even though I doubt they believe in it.
    "Run for your life from the man who tells you that money is evil. That sentence is the leper's bell of an approaching looter. So long as men live together on earth and need means to deal with one another-their only substitute, if they abandon money, is the muzzle of a gun."

Who is John Galt?

And that is because it is not legal in Colorado, ergo no precedent, although it stands to reason by all the other statistics that it will be safer.
    Sticks

See also Sheep

A commissioner with common sense...how refreshing!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Quote Originally Posted by Sticks View Post
    And that is because it is not legal in Colorado, ergo no precedent, although it stands to reason by all the other statistics that it will be safer.
    How do get that it is not legal?? Only if the state legislature meets in that building or if they have 100% metal detection. They cannot refuse you entrance at a public building that doesn't have a metal detector.

Quote Originally Posted by rljohns View Post
    How do get that it is not legal?? Only if the state legislature meets in that building or if they have 100% metal detection. They cannot refuse you entrance at a public building that doesn't have a metal detector.
    Your right, my bad. I thought it was all city/county/state government management (not quite the word I am looking for, but it will have to do) offices. I am too tired right now to go looking for the correct CRS.
    Sticks

See also Sheep

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links