South Carolina while driving and CC

This is a discussion on South Carolina while driving and CC within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I am new to this forum. I am from North Carolina and have my NC CCP. I travel to SC on business frequently but I ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: South Carolina while driving and CC

I am new to this forum. I am from North Carolina and have my NC CCP. I travel to SC on business frequently but I cannot exactly figure out SC gun laws. What do I do with my CC gun while driving in SC. Also NC and SC are reciprical, correct.

The law seems to be screwy or am I missing something

THANKS

Go to handgunlaw.us and build a map or call/email the SC AG office

http://www.handgunlaw.us/states/northcarolina.pdf

Nedrgr21 beat me with this info -sorry for the duplicate info
    Last edited by bdub; March 2nd, 2009 at 04:37 PM. Reason: additional info

Distinguished Member Array Pro2A's Avatar
    If I am not mistaken I believe you can keep a loaded handgun in your glovebox or console without a SC permit.

To the best of my knowledge NC and SC are reciprocal so you would not have to do anything as long as you have your ccp or CWP as SC calls it.
    Without that it needs to be secured in a glove box, center console (that closes) or trunk. If you are in a minivan or suv behind the rear most seat counts as a trunk it can be loaded.

1 keep it concealed on your person. 2 put in a seperate compartment with a closed lid ie:glove box, center console 3 trunk area. 4 in a closed container or zip-up gun rug and put in the lugage area. which is the most rearward area in the veh. in a pick-up truck that is BEHIND the seat in a suv thats the very back area. 5 in a purse or briefcase that is in arms reach.

Yes, your NC CWP is valid in SC.

In SC, you may carry a concealed weapon on your person with a CWP while in your car. Otherwise, you may keep the pistol in your glovebox, center console, a locked container or the trunk/cargo area. The glovebox or center console do not have to be locked.

You cannot carry your pistol in any government building, school or college property, or any business that sells alcohol for on premises consumption. With express permission, you may carry a concealed weapon in a church or medical facility. Concealed carry is permitted in interstate rest area restrooms.

If dealing with LE on official business and you are armed, you must inform the officer of your permit, that you are armed, and present your ID and CWP.
    Owner/ Instructor
    Your Best Defense, LLC
    SC CWP training
    1st Aid & CPR training
    www.yourbestdefensesc.com

YBD thanks so much for the info. That is what I thought but the language of the law had me guessing do I keep it on me or in the glove box.

Again Thanks to all...

Quote Originally Posted by yourbestdefense View Post

In SC, you may carry a concealed weapon on your person with a CWP while in your car. Otherwise, you may keep the pistol in your glovebox, center console, a locked container or the trunk/cargo area. The glovebox or center console do not have to be locked.

You cannot carry your pistol in any government building, school or college property, or any business that sells alcohol for on premises consumption. With express permission, you may carry a concealed weapon in a church or medical facility. Concealed carry is permitted in interstate rest area restrooms.

If dealing with LE on official business and you are armed, you must inform the officer of your permit, that you are armed, and present your ID and CWP.
    Excellent!
    My Music: www.reverbnation.com/dickiefredericks
    New tunes added.
    "The Double Tap Center Mass Boogie. Learn it, know it, love it, shoot it. Good guys should live, bad guys not so much. " - Ted Nugent 09

no ,no?

seems like i remember something about never under a seat.(example; even though a pt cruiser has a "glove box" under passanger seat it's not allowed)

You are an instructor???? ... You Omitted # 5 from the above post....Perfectly legal with a CWP.

Quote Originally Posted by docman View Post
    seems like i remember something about never under a seat.(example; even though a pt cruiser has a "glove box" under passanger seat it's not allowed)
    I know there is a bill in the house right now about that very issue. Grass Roots has written ammended language for this.

I think there is some info on the GRGR website about it.
    New tunes added.
    "The Double Tap Center Mass Boogie. Learn it, know it, love it, shoot it. Good guys should live, bad guys not so much. " - Ted Nugent 09

Quote Originally Posted by BookerT View Post
    You are an instructor???? ... You Omitted # 5 from the above post....Perfectly legal with a CWP.
    This is true.
    New tunes added.

Please be advised too, you are not allowed to carry in commecial child care facilities.

You are not allowed to carry on private property unless you are invited there.
    Certified Glock Armorer

In case you didn't realize it.... I am calling you out.... You can't be what you pose to be in your signature..... speak out if I'm wrong.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links