Hey LEOs...

This is a discussion on Hey LEOs... within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Not too many LEOs in PA are going to let you slide on felony charges. Agreed. In most states LEO's are REQUIRED by law to ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Hey LEOs...

Senior Moderator
    Not too many LEOs in PA are going to let you slide on felony charges.
    Agreed. In most states LEO's are REQUIRED by law to act upon any felony even a third degree. If it was a misdenmeanor, you might get some slack. A felony violation pretty much guarantees a bad encounter.

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    In FL packing without a permit is a felony punishable with up to 5 years in prison.
    You have to make the shot when fire is smoking, people are screaming, dogs are barking, kids are crying and sirens are coming.
    Randy Cain.

Ego will kill you. Leave it at home.
    Signed: Me!

In WI its off to jail. A class A-misdemeanor. Even in a vehicle the firearm must be unloaded and in a carry case, PREFERABLEY in the trunk or out of reach by people if possible.

Huck
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside , thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming--"WOW!!-- What a Ride!!"

For me it would depend on the circumstances that led to me finding out the driver was armed. Most traffic stops don't involve any sort of Terry Frisk, so unless the driver volunteered that he was carrying, or bent over to get his reg etc and I saw it, I'd never know.

If he volunteered the information, was old enough (21), and didn't have anything of note on his criminal record, we'd probably talk about how easy it is to get a permit in Utah, and if I felt comfortable, I'd probably let him go with a friendly warning. I'm usually not comfortable disarming calm cooperative people. I think it's actually safer to leave it in place. I had a guy ask me if he wanted his pistol while we were on the stop, and then offered to hand it to me. I said no, the last thing an officer want to see is someone reaching for a gun. It's not gonna hurt anyone in a holster, leave it there.

If I were to discover a gun on someone's belt on my own, like when the reached for their glovebox, etc, it would go very differently from above. Bad people with guns are how we get killed on traffic stops. If I see a gun on you during a traffic stop that you didn't tell me about, or show me on purpose, then I assume you're a bad guy and you will be handled as such until things are under control. I know this is gonna probably irritate some members here, but while I'm working, I'm certainly not above scaring or offending someone to guarantee I'm home in the morning when my little girl gets up.

The above statements are generalizations that would of course depend on a huge amount of variables which would fill a book. The bottom line is part of CCW is CONCEALED. I think Utah law actually states that the firearm WILL be concealed. Accidentally revealing it violates the statute. If you keep the gun properly concealed and don't give an officer any reason to perform a Terry Frisk, then it should be a non-issue. I'm in favor of CCW for non law enforcement. I think it's a great idea, and so far has worked very well here. Just remember that cops don't like surprises, especially when they come in the form of firearms. Be calm and use some common sense.

I know the experience of others may well be different, but the few times I've been stopped while driving, it's always been by someone with an attitude like DeepHelmet's, and that leads me to think that the "bad" experiences recounted by some, are in the minority.

I learned a long time ago, the hard way, (the only way, I guess,) that surprising an LEO is never a good idea and seldom is it funny.

When they approach my window, my hands will always be in plain sight, my driver's license, registration, and proof of insurance at the ready.

When the usual question of "Do you know why I've stopped you?" gets asked, I answer it truthfully. I've got an honest streak in me that I simply cannot overcome. Happily, my natural inclination to be a smartass dives down very deep at that point.

I can honestly say that I've never had a problem with a "problem" LEO. I'm sure they exist, statistically they must. Sometimes I think that they can see in me, something of a kindred spirit, something that suggest to them that I'm not on the "other side," I'm not the enemy.

Or, maybe not. Could just be that re-stated Law of Karma, "What goes around, comes around."

mm
    Political Correctness has now "evolved" into Political Cowardice.

TPO

Texas Peace Officer--TPO

Speaking from experience of having pulled people over for some other probable cause(usually a traffic violation) and they having a gun and not having a CHL, no wants or warrants, and all other factors seem in good order---I will let them go with a word of caution about it being seen by someone whom is frightened by guns or another peace officer who feels the letter of the law is more important than the spirit of the law.
    An armed citizen is my "best-friend" if the situation has gone bad for me and back is still 20 minutes away. Almost all peace officiers in my county value the armed citizen. Circumstances allow for discretion and use of judgement on a peace officers response.
    Firearms are serious "buiddness" but so is being a good citizen. Hopefully I have shed some light on your inquiry as to my actions and thoughts on the subject. Go in peace but remain vigilant.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links