VA sign question

VA sign question

This is a discussion on VA sign question within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; a local movie theater around here has a no gun sign thing where you buy the tickets for your movie. Its a outside kind of ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: VA sign question

VA sign question

a local movie theater around here has a no gun sign thing where you buy the tickets for your movie. Its a outside kind of thing and the doors are on both sides of the windows. kind of like the picture i have provided. Now its not small like that and you cant see the signs from the doors at all. Now I go to the movies with my father every sunday, and he buys my ticket. I never noticed the sign because i walk right in and wait for him. He told me about the sign since we bot just got our permits. Can we still carry? I mean they are not on the doors. The retired police officer of 30 years that taught our carry class said they must be on every entrance of the building for him not to carry.

I was wondering if you are left handed ? I am and I draw like that too, I also have the same type of penmanship.

another leftie here, i too have chicken scratch for writing

do signs in VA hold legal weight??>
    S&W M&P40/M&P9c OC rigs
    S&W 640-1 or Sig P238 as a CC rig
    proud www.georgiacarry.org member
    Second Amendment Foundation Life member

haha yes indeed i am left handed

i do think signs hold legal weight here, but these signs are not on the doors. I have never seen them before. So lets say your meeting friends,GF, or wife and they already have your ticket, there is no way you will see the small signs by the ticket window, your going to walk right into the place and not see anything as you look around the doors....

According to handgunlaw us if the private property is posted then you can get a trespassing charge not a handgun violation,and you already admitted you know It's posted
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Senior Member Array Free American's Avatar
    trespass charge only after you are asked to leave if discovered carrying. Signs in VA are like life jackets and escape hatches on a submarine...there for mommas and senators.
    They who give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety. Benjamin Franklin

Previously known as "cjm5874"

What signs? I believe the VA law states the signs have to be posted at every single entrance....but I can't find the law with the cite at this time.
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

That looks kind of like the layout of the Southpark mall cinema 16. I have been told that they are a gun free zone, but I haven't seen the signs, although I haven't looked for them at the ticket window, only the entrance doors. The mall is also supposed to be a gun free zone, but the entrances at the theater are not posted. Someone did tell me that the main entrance does have a sign, but I have not entered there in many years. Since I haven't seen these signs, I do carry at that theater.

Quote Originally Posted by celticredneck View Post
    That looks kind of like the layout of the Southpark mall cinema 16.
    Respectfully, it looks like the layout for every theater in any town anywhere (ticket window, two sets of double doors)!

Plausible deniability means that if it is posted on the doors, but NOT the one you came through, you didn't see it. What sign?
    A man in the hands of his enemies is flesh, and shudderingly vulnerable. - author unknown

Distinguished Member Array Rugergirl's Avatar
    This link may help:

http://www.handgunlaw.us/states/virginia.pdf

see page 3
    Disclaimer: The posts made by this member are only the members opinion, not a reflection on anyone else, nor the group, and should not be cause for anyone to get their undergarments wedged in an uncomfortable position.

another southpaw here

not sure about VA. but here in mich. one of our happy b.g. zones
    is an entertainment facilty seating 2500 or more. movie thearers
    included.
    (SHERIFF BUFORD T. JUSTICE) "what the hell is
    the world coming too"

NRA LIFE MEMBER

U.S. ARMY FT.SILL, OKLA.

VIP Member
    In the Commonwealth of Virginia, there is no penalty for carrying concealed on private property with signs erected. However, if the weapon is discovered and you are asked to leave, you must do so. Not leaving will result in a charge of criminal trespass.

1st things first...I didn't say anything bad about your drawing

I know that you are in Va, but here in NC:

North Carolina law also prohibits any person carrying a gun, rifle, or pistol into any

assembly where a fee has been charged for admission. (Even with a CCW permit)

In VA, posted means posted. There are no micromanaged sign descriptions in VA law, like some other states. Posted means one door, or all of them. Now a court or jury may decide differently, but that is the chance you take. The way the law is written, you can be charged without being asked to leave first, unlike some states where you are cited only if you refuse to leave.
    You'll rock, with a 357 Glock

I couldn't help but laugh on that one!! I believe that IS a Leftie thing..

Quote Originally Posted by PNUT View Post
    I was wondering if you are left handed ? I am and I draw like that too, I also have the same type of penmanship.
    --I'M PROUD TO HAVE THE ABILITY TO BEAR ARMS--

Glock27/ KaBar TDI/ MTAC Holster. I have more also, but this combination works well..

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links