Someone in Louisiana gets it!

This is a discussion on Someone in Louisiana gets it! within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Lawmaker wants to allow guns on college campuses - Breaking News from New Orleans - Times-Picayune - NOLA.com Lawmaker wants to allow guns on college ...

Thread: Someone in Louisiana gets it!

Distinguished Member Array Paymeister's Avatar

Someone in Louisiana gets it!

Lawmaker wants to allow guns on college campuses - Breaking News from New Orleans - Times-Picayune - NOLA.com
    Lawmaker wants to allow guns on college campuses

by Ed Anderson, The Times-Picayune Monday March 02, 2009, 6:42 PM

BATON ROUGE -- College students, faculty and employees who are licensed to carry concealed handguns should be able to tote them on their campuses, where they are now banned, according to a bill filed Monday by Rep. Ernest Wooton, R-Belle Chasse.

The measure is identical to one Wooton abandoned on the House floor last year after getting the House committee he chairs to approve it 11-3. Wooton said last year he counted 46 votes of support, seven shy of what was needed and withdrew the bill in the last stages of the session.

Wooton served notice at that time he would bring the bill back at every session as long as he is in the Legislature.

And as last year, college and university officials are lining up against Wooton's House Bill 27.

Wooton, a former Plaquemines Parish sheriff, could not be reached for comment Monday.

The bill would carve out an exception in the law that not prohibits the carrying of firearms in or near courthouses, government buildings and schools.

Tulane University spokesman Michael Strecker said that university officials "feel strongly that legislation allowing guns on campus is not in the best interest of our students, faculty and staff. We believe college campuses, like elementary and high schools, houses of worship, courthouses, parades, polling places, airports, the State Capitol and government buildings should, remain gun-free zones."

Loyola governmental relations director Tommy Screen said although officials at the Jesuit-run university have not seen the bill, if it is the same as the one filed last year, "we would be gravely concerned about it for our campus. .ยค.ยค. We don't think it is a good idea and will work to defeat it again this year. It is not in our best interest to have students or professors walking around with guns."

Meg Casper, chief spokeswoman for the State Board of Regents, the body that oversees all public colleges and universities, said Higher Education Commissioner Sally Clausen has not seen the bill. "We will approach it from a campus safety perspective, and not a Second Amendment (right to bear arms) issue," Casper said.

Wooton said last year that the bill is designed to let students, faculty and staff who have passed background checks and have qualified to carry firearms to do so on the campus of a university, college or post-secondary vocational technical school campus without being barred from doing so by school administrators.

He argued last year that the bill is needed to enhance safety of individuals who have to walk to their dorms or cars on campuses late at night.

The bill says that while university officials could not prohibit carrying a firearm on campus, they would have the to establish "rules or regulations relating to the storage of firearms."

So far, 27 bills have been filed in advance of the session that begins April 27. The focus of session in odd-numbered years is in fiscal issues but each lawmaker can file an unlimited number of local bills and up to five general issue bills each.

Ed Anderson can be reached at eanderson@timespicayune.com or 225.342-5810.
    Recently updated website: http://www.damagedphotorepair.com

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by Paymeister View Post
    Tulane University spokesman Michael Strecker said that university officials "feel strongly that legislation allowing guns on campus is not in the best interest of our students, faculty and staff. We believe college campuses, like elementary and high schools, houses of worship, courthouses, parades, polling places, airports, the State Capitol and government buildings should, remain gun-free zones."
    I'm sure the future Cho is really upset right now.

Quote Originally Posted by notagangsta View Post
    We believe college campuses, like elementary and high schools, houses of worship, courthouses, parades, polling places, airports, the State Capitol and government buildings should, remain gun-free zones."
    I'm sure the future Cho is really upset right now.
    Right. Murderers and rapists love nothing more than a low chance of detection and capture, and campus environments provide that and more as the target-rich environments they are.

Upstanding citizens who have passed background checks and are trained as competent and responsible carriers of firearms are not a threat. And by any standard, increasing the percentage of such people in an otherwise weapons-free environment does one thing: makes it riskier for those who would commit such crimes as murders, rapes and other violent felonies.

Surely, at any level, the best interests of a potential victim at the moment of an attempt on one's life or well-being is the ability to defend against that. On a campus open to the world, there's only one real way to accomplish that.

One need only witness what Utah's doing on its main campus in order to see the results of such a sane and rational approach to self-defense. Upstanding carriers are not the threat.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Hard to understand ...

Its hard for me to understand why college administrations oppose legal concealed carry on campus. Some of these schools are in high-crime urban areas and students are victimized on a regular basis by local thugs. Even on suburban campuses, I often read of murder and rape. These policies are especially dangerous for women and those who often must be on campus late at night alone. Its not just for those who would opt to carry, the "victim disarmament zones" attract criminals and make these places more dangerous for everyone.

I do know of one case where a student ignored the rules, and when he was attacked by two thugs and beaten, drew a 9mm and shot one of them. The other ran. Luckily, the incident happened just off the campus or otherwise he may have been expelled for protecting himself.

I don't think these policies result from hoplophobia, I think it is politics. Most of the staff on these campuses are Democrats, probably way-left Democrats. They would die for their beliefs - and take the students with them.

Distinguished Member Array Paymeister's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by CharlieP View Post
    ...I don't think these policies result from hoplophobia, I think it is politics. Most of the staff on these campuses are Democrats, probably way-left Democrats. They would die for their beliefs ...
    Gotta love someone who is committed. Wish some of these folks were...
    Recently updated website: http://www.damagedphotorepair.com

I teach graduate school at an urban campus, and I can tell you that what has been said above is correct. This is a political decision, not a logical one. Our campus puts out weekly email alerts of the robberies, beatings, attacks, rapes, and other charming intramural pursuits that students and staff are caught up in - mostly outside the classroom.

Where I teach it is not only illegal to cc in the city limits, it's doubly illegal on campus property, even though most of the buildings owned by the university are urban high-rises than contain apartments, offices, retail shops and condos. The thugs and other criminal elements recognize no such fine distinctions, and I have had to run between my classes (that often end after 9:00 pm) to my parked car to avoid very suspicisous individuals and groups.

The crooks live in their own little Disneyland of Victimhood created, sponsored, and enforced by local politicians, civic "leaders", community organizers, and school officials. In the world of these politicians, it's all about intentions, not results. Since they have the best intentions for outlawing responsible weapon possession, that's good enough for them. Don't let the facts get in the way of...

....feeeEEEEeeelings, nothing more than, feeeeeEEEEeeelings....

I am a student at the University of Utah. Number of times i've lost my temper and threatened someone with my gun? Zero. Number of times I've shot a guy who looked at me weird? Zero. Number of incidents of any ccw student misusing or shooting anyone on campus? Zero. There was one guy who is wheelchair bound who wanted to do open carry because its too hot in the summer, but that's about it. The police told him to keep it covered please, they actually threatened him with expulsion. He complied but was kind of annoyed about it.

VIP Member

Loyola governmental relations director Tommy Screen said although officials at the Jesuit-run university have not seen the bill, if it is the same as the one filed last year, "we would be gravely concerned about it for our campus. .ยค.ยค. We don't think it is a good idea and will work to defeat it again this year. It is not in our best interest to have students or professors walking around with guns."
    These two comments gripe me no end. These are two private institutions and are not in the least affected if the law changes. They can still be as gun-free as they stupidly want to be. Like many in academia they may not be intelligent enough to know this. But they certainly should. So I suspect these two are just trying to fuel the flames of their own personal agendas.
    George

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe. Albert Einstein

Senior Moderator
    Why have ANY exclusion zones?

exclusion zone= target rich environment
    The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it...- George Orwell

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Links