Another "what if" traffic stop thread

This is a discussion on Another "what if" traffic stop thread within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; As I am want to do, I was late in getting my Ohio plate registration taken care of. I could have done it through the ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Another "what if" traffic stop thread

Senior Member Array HowardCohodas's Avatar

Another "what if" traffic stop thread

As I am want to do, I was late in getting my Ohio plate registration taken care of. I could have done it through the mail, but I wanted to reduce my cost by getting away from vanity plates. Don't know if I could have done that by mail. It's really cold here and my wife has stored stuff in the garage on the side I park on, so the new plates sit in my windshield ledge.

I am planning to return to participation in IDPA so I have been wearing my OWB IDPA compliant holster and mag carrier full time to get used to them again. When I participated earlier, I noticed I kept bumping into stuff, so I wanted to use biofeedback to get my brain adjusted to a wider me.

Yesterday I was out on errands and a police car pulled in back of me. I'm rehearsing my "I'm armed and I have the plates right here" speech when it strikes me. I'm still wearing my primary carry M&P 45fs in a SmartCarry holster in addition to a spare 14-round magazine. I'm wearing my LCP BUG in the left front pocket of my pants. I'm wearing my M&P 45c on my right hip. I'm wearing a mag pouch with two loaded mags on my left hip. Let's see, that's (10+1) + 14 + (8+1) + 8 + 8 (50) rounds of 45 cal and (6+1) rounds of 380.

I am armed with three guns and 57 rounds of ammunition at the moment. How on earth do I explain this?

BTW, I did not get stopped. I wonder what SIXTO would have done to me, especially after finding out he knows me from this forum.
    Howard
    I carry a gun because I can't carry a cop!!
    Politically Incorrect Self Defense

2. Remove Ads

The truth is always the best bet - I'd just say I had heard on the news there were zombies about.

VIP Member
    Even if you get stopped, is he/she going to ask WHAT you are carrying? I've personally never heard of them asking what or how much you are carrying. Just my .02
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants."
    Thomas Jefferson

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by HowardCohodas View Post
    I wonder what SIXTO would have done to me, especially after finding out he knows me from this forum.
    I would have disarmed you, then returned your pistols as I found them but without lasers.

Then I would have made fun of you for being afraid of a little cold weather and allowing your wife to exert control over the garage... everybody knows that is the mans domain.

Then I would be on here making a huge long exaggerated theatrical post about our encounter.

"Just blame Sixto"

VIP Member

I am armed with three guns and 57 rounds of ammunition at the moment. How on earth do I explain this?
    Every LEO I know say NEVER start off with "I have a gun", "I am armed" etc. The initial words "I've got a gun" sets off alarms -- esp. with newbies.

They suggest some thing like, "Officer, I want to let you know that have a Concealed Handgun Permit (or whatever your State calls it). Then a slight pause followed by "and I am carrying at this time."
    Μολὼν λαβέ

I'm just one root in a grassroots organization. No one should assume that I speak for the VCDL.

I am neither an attorney-at-law nor I do play one on television or on the internet. No one should assumes my opinion is legal advice.

Veni, Vidi, Velcro

VIP Member
    Nice SIXTO!
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants."
    Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    I would have disarmed you, then returned your pistols as I found them but without lasers.

Then I would have made fun of you for being afraid of a little cold weather and allowing your wife to exert control over the garage... everybody knows that is the mans domain.

Then I would be on here making a huge long exaggerated theatrical post about our encounter.

Your response exceeded my expectations. You hit every ball I pitched out of the park. I really do hope to meet you in person some day, but not under these circumstances.

Note to self. Do not have food or soda in your mouth when reading these posts, especially when you are soliciting funny stuff. Excuse me while I go downstairs and get a towel.
    Howard

"Good Morning, Officer Fife, I just want to let you know that I'm a legally armed Floridian."

...legally armed Texan.
    ...legally armed Georgian.
    ...legally armed whatever...
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Yesterday I was out on errands and a police car pulled in back of me. I'm rehearsing my "I'm armed and I have the plates right here" speech when it strikes me. I'm still wearing my primary carry M&P 45fs in a SmartCarry holster in addition to a spare 14-round magazine. I'm wearing my LCP BUG in the left front pocket of my pants. I'm wearing my M&P 45c on my right hip. I'm wearing a mag pouch with two loaded mags on my left hip. Let's see, that's (10+1) + 14 + (8+1) + 8 + 8 (50) rounds of 45 cal and (6+1) rounds of 380.

"Good afternoon Mister Anderson...."

"No, my name is Neo."
    "Don't be afraid to see what you see.
    -Ronald Reagan-

I'm still wearing my primary carry M&P 45fs in a SmartCarry holster in addition to a spare 14-round magazine. I'm wearing my LCP BUG in the left front pocket of my pants. I'm wearing my M&P 45c on my right hip. I'm wearing a mag pouch with two loaded mags on my left hip. Let's see, that's (10+1) + 14 + (8+1) + 8 + 8 (50) rounds of 45 cal and (6+1) rounds of 380.
    Thats a LOT of hardware.

This thing about your wife having control of the garage really concerns me.
    For as the lightning comes from the east and flashes to the west, so also will the coming of the son of man be. Mathew 24:27

NRA Member

VIP Member

Thumbs up

returned your pistols as I found them but without lasers

Back in the '60, I hunted/fished/generally hung out with with a guy who I also worked with.

He, like you, was a master of "huge long exaggerated theatrical" yarns.

Something humorous would happen in the field. I'd try tell about the incident, folks at work would nod and smile. He could come along later and talk about the same incident and he would have them holding their sides if not .

Keep up the good post.
    Μολὼν λαβέ

I'm just one root in a grassroots organization. No one should assume that I speak for the VCDL.

I am neither an attorney-at-law nor I do play one on television or on the internet. No one should assumes my opinion is legal advice.

Veni, Vidi, Velcro

Quote Originally Posted by ErikGr7 View Post
    Thats a LOT of hardware.
    That was my point. Usually when I'm out and about I'm only armed with my primary and BUG. I was wearing the OWB IDPA compliant holster and mag carriers to get used to it for IDPA shoots. The whole scene just struck me as funny as I rehearsed what I should say while mentally taking an inventory of what I was carrying.
    Howard

Reminds me of that scene from Boston Legal where Captain Kirk pulls out all those handguns..
    Yoda, I am, yes.

Quote Originally Posted by Yoda View Post
    Reminds me of that scene from Boston Legal where Captain Kirk pulls out all those handguns..
    That's really funny. Not from that scene, but my wife once remarked the he somewhat reminded her of me. She was referring to his conservative dress, argumentative style and being a little "off." I recall seeing that scene on the internet, but have never seen an episode. I don't know if I want to mention this thread to her.

Your pseudonym... One of the students, a pretty one at that, in a class I taught on using the Internet nicknamed me Yoda. My wife was present at the time. In another situation with the same group, I did something unimpressive. Another student suggested my nickname should be shortened to "Yo". Another suggested "Da".
    Howard

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links