The cell phone problem - Page 2

The cell phone problem

This is a discussion on The cell phone problem within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I havnet seen Channel 9 being monitered in a dispatch center for the past 10 years. However any cell that can reach any tower can ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The cell phone problem

Distinguished Member Array fed_wif_a_sig's Avatar
    I havnet seen Channel 9 being monitered in a dispatch center for the past 10 years. However any cell that can reach any tower can dial a 911 call. Another was that was touched on is a hand held or vehicle mounted HAM radio. There are usually many people monitering them across the nation and they do have an emergency channel. A small hand held can reach alot of miles and a vehicle mounted one can cross state lines. I'm fortunate on the cell side I only have a few places that I cannot get service that I travel. If I felt a true threat, I would rent a satalite phone and or if it was a constant problem, sign up with a satalite service and use the emergency feature only.

One last thought, there are emergency beacons that are available out there that work off satalite. They have a 911 feature and if activated will dispatch the local law enforcement agency. However its a monthly fee (about $35) and a hefty fine for misuse (typically if you "accidentially" trip it more than once). If someone is truly interested I will get the information and post it.
    Steve
    "Respect all ... Fear none!!!

Membership Revoked Array HappyGunner's Avatar
    If my cell ever fails to reach 911 I will call on 1911

Distinguished Member Array AKsrule's Avatar
    I live in PA and work in NY. (eastern half of both)

This is an area where you can't drive or walk more than
    two miles straight line without running into houses , farms, or commercial buildings.
    It's all Hills and river valleys too.

I have cell service ONLY at home - NO Land Line.

I have had service thru Verizon for 2 years , with no problems.
    There are some dead spots , but they tend to be VERY Small.
    -------
    -SIG , it's What's for Dinner-

know your rights!
    http://www.handgunlaw.us

"If I walk in the woods, I feel much more comfortable carrying a gun. What if you meet a bear in the woods that's going to attack you? You shoot it."
    {Bernhard Goetz}

Get Sprint, mine even worked in the middle of the painted desert, WOW.
    "The sword dose not cause the murder, and the maker of the sword dose not bear sin" Rabbi Solomon ben Isaac 11th century

I don't talk much on a cell phone so I went to T-Mobiles pay as you go. 100.00 for 1000 mins (good for 1 year) good any where TM has connections. It saves me about 379.00 over the 39.95/mo I had before (1 year contract). I have the phone mostly for short comms with the wife and kids when I'm out, AND just in case something BAD happens...
    My wife has the same plan. She's not high mileage on a cell either. This way we have 2 phones for less than we would for 1 contracted phone.. I'm not very rural, and about any company would work here.
    Just a thought for some of you that don't have ANY cell phones and think you may need/want one some day..
    CraigJS

I bet it won't work in our Painted Hills.

There are places near here where there is NO cell service for forty miles in any direction. Those of you who live in the cities where cell service works, I am happy for you. The rest of us who live in rural parts of the country still get along without cell service. I may be moving soon to Clarno OR, population zero. There is no service there for forty miles. I often drive over Mt Hood on Hwy 26. I have no service of over fifty miles, the service for five miles than no service for another thirty miles. That is just the way it is. We have to be prepared to take care of ourselves. In most rural parts of Oregon people still stop and help one another out.
    In HIS Service
    Scott F

My Step-Dad has a handheld HAMM for roadtrips, he seems to like it. I'd consider it but there's an awful lot to think about and much I'd need to learn to take full advantage of it.

You can only do what your tools allow you to do...

My understanding is that most cell phones (even de-activated) are capable of 911 calls in most areas. As for coverage; the phones are usually the problem as most are .5 watt but bag phones had something a bit higher.

Quote Originally Posted by rwojcik
    My understanding is that most cell phones (even de-activated) are capable of 911 calls in most areas. As for coverage; the phones are usually the problem as most are .5 watt but bag phones had something a bit higher.
    A five watt bag phone works well in some places where a standard .5 watt phone will not work. The problem is there is now no one willing to connect a bag phone any more, they are not digital. I do not know if they will work for rural 911 calls. I kind of doubt it as there is no service for miles and miles.
    In HIS Service
    Scott F

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Sponsored Links