Traveling to Broken Bow, OK

This is a discussion on Traveling to Broken Bow, OK within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; For my brethren just North of me, I have a question. I will be traveling to Broken Bow in May for a canoing trip and ...

Thread: Traveling to Broken Bow, OK

Traveling to Broken Bow, OK

For my brethren just North of me, I have a question.

I will be traveling to Broken Bow in May for a canoing trip and I was wondering if the river and areas around it are considered part of the state park? I will not be going to the lake, but we will put in just past the dam and heading down stream for approx. 10 miles.

Also what do you guys suggest as far as carrying while on a kayak (open kayak)? I am not a beginner, so as long as I draw the kayak and not have to share a canoe, I will only go in the water when I want to and not 'cause some newbie doesn't know how to communicate or follow directions and we dump.
    "Don't hit a man if you can possibly avoid it; but if you do hit him, put him to sleep." - Theodore Roosevelt

-Paco
    http://www.shieldsd.net

2. Remove Ads

Don't live in OK or know anything about the park but according to HandgunLaw, carry in State Parks in OK is legal. Might want to check with a local authority. Have fun.

Hoss
    Sig 239 SAS 40 S&W / Sig 239 9mm / Kahr PM-9 / Walther PPS .40 / Sig P-245 / Ruger LCP
    Beretta Tomcat / Walther PPK / BDA 380 / Taurus 85 / Kel-Tec PF-9 / Am. Derringer 357

NRA Life Member
    My Web Site

Oklahoma has preemption and carry in state parks is legal, as long as you do not go into buildings. Also, a lot of water areas and parks in Oklahoma might be owned by the Army Corp of Engineers, which could be considered federal land and carrying of a firearm might be illegal. I have never been able to figure out if the parks here are actual Corp of Engineer land or just managed by them.

As far as carrying while canoeing, I have put my firearm in a ziplock bag and put that in a watertight and floatable ammo can while on the water before. It would take a while to get it to it but its better than losing it to the water.

Quote Originally Posted by cvhoss View Post
    Don't live in OK or know anything about the park but according to HandgunLaw, carry in State Parks in OK is legal. Might want to check with a local authority. Have fun.

Hoss
    Cool, I checked there to make sure my CHL was recognized but missed the state park part.
    "Don't hit a man if you can possibly avoid it; but if you do hit him, put him to sleep." - Theodore Roosevelt

-Paco

I don't know about the CCW situation, but

We went through Broken Bow back about '83 and there was the best little cafe on the left as we entered town from the east. Stopped there for one of the best breakfasts I've ever had on the road!

I was on a road trip with my wife and two of her sisters. Picked up the second sister in DeQueen, AR, left out early and had breakfast in Broken Bow. The only words I got in for the rest of the trip were to the waitress!
    The very atmosphere of firearms anywhere and everywhere restrains evil interference - they deserve a place of honor with all that's good.

George Washington

Paco, if your going to be on the Mountain Fork river you should be good to go with your carry.

Also, if your going in below the dam, I don't think you have to worry too much about dumping even in a canoe. It has been many years since I have been on that river but since the water level is determined by the lake output it should be more of a float trip than a white water adventure.
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

Quote Originally Posted by farronwolf View Post
    Paco, if your going to be on the Mountain Fork river you should be good to go with your carry.

Also, if your going in below the dam, I don't think you have to worry too much about dumping even in a canoe. It has been many years since I have been on that river but since the water level is determined by the lake output it should be more of a float trip than a white water adventure.
    You have never been with the guys I go with, they will tump over just by thinking off balanced thoughts

I figure what I'll do is either pit it in a ZipLock baggie in a maxpedition type bag or carry OWB in a Black Hawk holster covered with a big T-Shirt, I'm just afraid my life vest will make the shirt ride up too much and expose my handgun.

If I tump over for some reason I have the Serpa retention and I carry tupperware as it is, so good cleaning back at the cabin and I'll be G2G.

-Paco

If the folks your going with are that unstable, I would suggest leaving your firearm at home. Do you have to sign a release form for the weeking when you check them out or no?
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

Quote Originally Posted by farronwolf View Post
    If the folks your going with are that unstable, I would suggest leaving your firearm at home. Do you have to sign a release form for the weeking when you check them out or no?
    Not unstable, just uncoordinated in a canoe.

It also doesn't help that I am very competitive and tipping a canoe is not fun for me, especially if it wraps around a rock with the open side facing up stream collecting all the water.

But having gone many many times before and seeing some of the drunks on the banks and floating by I have always been a bit nervous and until I got my CHL I only carried a knife and my wits.

-Paco

Links