Traveling to San Diego, CA

This is a discussion on Traveling to San Diego, CA within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; OK, so I am planning a family vacation to San Diego and would like clarification from the CA people on this forum. I understand that ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Traveling to San Diego, CA

Traveling to San Diego, CA

OK, so I am planning a family vacation to San Diego and would like clarification from the CA people on this forum.

I understand that my CHL is not recognized by CA, but am I understanding this right:

California Penal Code section 12025 does not prevent a citizen of the United States over 18 years of age who is not lawfully prohibited from firearm possession, and who resides or is temporarily in California, from transporting by motor vehicle any pistol, revolver, or other firearm capable of being concealed upon the person provided the firearm is unloaded and stored in a locked container.
    This says that I can have my handgun with me in my COM safe in my rental car, since I am

1. Over 18
    2. A citizen of the United States
    3. and will be temporarily in California

I know I can't carry, may have issues with even storing it in the car depending on where I am (Disney, Sea World, Lego Land, etc.).
    "Don't hit a man if you can possibly avoid it; but if you do hit him, put him to sleep." - Theodore Roosevelt

-Paco
    http://www.shieldsd.net

2. Remove Ads

Technically open carry is legal in CA but I would HIGHLY advise against it. You will be arrested for obeying the law. Just keep it in your COM safe and hide it under the seat.
    III

VIP Member
    Thanks for this thread, you beat me to it. I will be in S.D.,Ca later this month, what are the laws pertaining to my gun in the hotel as well?

I hope this isn't a threadjack, sorry, if it is, will a mod please move it?
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants."
    Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by sigmanluke View Post
    Thanks for this thread, you beat me to it. I will be in S.D.,Ca later this month, what are the laws pertaining to my gun in the hotel as well?

I hope this isn't a threadjack, sorry, if it is, will a mod please move it?
    Not sure, I'll have to find that out as well as I will obviously be staying in a hotel since it would way too uncomfortable for me, my pregnant wife, and 4 kids to sleep in the mini van we rent

The only thing I have found so far is CA Penal Code 12303.2 that states:

Every person who recklessly or maliciously has in his
    possession any destructive device or any explosive on a public street
    or highway, in or near any theater, hall, school, college, church,
    hotel, other public building, or private habitation, in, on, or near
    any aircraft, railway passenger train, car, cable road or cable car,
    vessel engaged in carrying passengers for hire, or other public place
    ordinarily passed by human beings is guilty of a felony, and shall
    be punishable by imprisonment in the state prison for a period of
    two, four, or six years.
    When I am on vacation I will neither be reckless or malicious, so does that mean I am G2G?
    "Don't hit a man if you can possibly avoid it; but if you do hit him, put him to sleep." - Theodore Roosevelt

-Paco

VIP Member
    That's what I'd like to know, I guess we'll both find out.
    (we hope)
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants."
    Thomas Jefferson

You can have the LOADED weapon in your hotel room.

You have to UNLOAD it (including the chamber) and put it into a locked container (NOT the glove box) while transporting it. You may do this while in the hotel room and carry it DIRECTLY to/from the car.

DO NOT put the magazine in the locked container unless the magazine is UNLOADED.

Possession of a loaded magazine is NOT a crime unless you are a gang member.

NO magazines greater than 10 rounds. PERIOD!

You don't need permission. Or a permit. Or be required to tell anyone that you have a handgun in California while visiting here.

Spend lots of money on stuff and have a good time while visiting.

VIP Member
    Tanks Rob, where did you get this info?
    Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by Rob P. View Post
    You can have the LOADED weapon in your hotel room.

You have to UNLOAD it (including the chamber) and put it into a locked container (NOT the glove box) while transporting it. You may do this while in the hotel room and carry it DIRECTLY to/from the car.

DO NOT put the magazine in the locked container unless the magazine is UNLOADED.

Possession of a loaded magazine is NOT a crime unless you are a gang member.

You don't need permission. Or a permit. Or be required to tell anyone that you have a handgun in California while visiting here.

Spend lots of money on stuff and have a good time while visiting.
    Rob got'em all.

That locked container Rob spoke of would be on the order of a COM gun safe. Center Of Mass Central
    An armed populace are called citizens.
    An unarmed populace are called subjects.

open carry in san diego\/ http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...148494&page=54

just call the sheriff and let them know you will be Open Carrying ;)
    S&W M&P40/M&P9c OC rigs
    S&W 640-1 or Sig P238 as a CC rig
    proud www.georgiacarry.org member
    Second Amendment Foundation Life member

Quote Originally Posted by Rob P. View Post
    Guess I need to buy a 10 rd. mag for the Sigma then.

Thanks for the info

-Paco

over 10 even if its an unloaded mad then its a felony :(
    S&W M&P40/M&P9c OC rigs
    S&W 640-1 or Sig P238 as a CC rig
    proud www.georgiacarry.org member
    Second Amendment Foundation Life member

Only way I will ever return to CA is if I have to for business. I will never vacation there and I have informed them to such. In fact I will try and set up any business trip to avoid CA is I can.

If you own a business in CA am sorry its the same with NY and other states that limit my freedom. Sense I don't live there its the only way I have besides support for a national CHL/CWP bill to show my disapproval for there anti 2A laws.

so being I used to live in CA did they drop the over 10 mag rule even if you inherited the gun? That was the law when I got my gun from my dad you just could not buy one from a certain year forward. Good to know if not since my Rugar Mark II is a 25 round mag....

Quote Originally Posted by buzzgum View Post
    Technically open carry is legal in CA but I would HIGHLY advise against it. You will be arrested for obeying the law. Just keep it in your COM safe and hide it under the seat.
    Technically, it's UNLOADED open carry. Otherwise, unless you're LEO or have a guard card, you're asking for a felony arrest!

Quote Originally Posted by IssaquahWA19 View Post
    so being I used to live in CA did they drop the over 10 mag rule even if you inherited the gun? That was the law when I got my gun from my dad you just could not buy one from a certain year forward. Good to know if not since my Rugar Mark II is a 25 round mag....
    Provided you owned the magazine in CA prior to 2000, sure, you're fine.

Now as for the folks talking about bringing handguns into CA for a visit - I didn't see any bad advice, but I did see one conspicuous oversight: the assault weapon law. Most pistols one would use for self defense are not covered by this, just so you know. BTW, you are absolutely fine in having your pistol in your hotel room. If you intend to open carry, check up on OCDO as there are a number of CA specific wrinkles. If you're going to be around tourist attractions, I really don't recommend it... see if your hotel room has a safe and use that when you aren't present. Keep the pistol out for protection when you're around... no problems there.

Threaded barrels or magazines OUTSIDE of the pistol grip (like a Skorpion for example) will both render a pistol a California AW, even if it's on a 22. So will a forward handgrip too.

The one thing folks are semi-likely to forget on CA pistol laws is the threaded barrel.

Do NOT get wrapped around the axle trying to reinterpret the shroud to be anything other than a heat shield/whatnot... and for heaven's sake don't start thinking the pistol you bring in for self defense has to be listed on our ridiculous handgun drop-test roster. That covers only purchases of handguns by Californians; it doesn't restrain what you can bring into the state, whether you're visiting or moving in.

An assault pistol is:
    A semiautomatic pistol capable of accepting detachable magazines and any of the following:
    ▪ a threaded barrel;
    ▪ a second handgrip;
    ▪ capacity to accept a detachable magazine at some location outside the pistol grip;
    ▪ a shroud attached to, or partially or completely encircles, the barrel allowing bearer to fire weapon without burning his/her hand, except for a slide enclosing the barrel;

A semiautomatic pistol with a fixed magazine having capacity to accept over 10 rounds.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links