Had to Make 30.06 sign

Had to Make 30.06 sign

This is a discussion on Had to Make 30.06 sign within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I was asked by the HR director at my place of employment (in Colorado) to create a 30.06 sign for our Texas stores and a ...

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Had to Make 30.06 sign

Had to Make 30.06 sign

I was asked by the HR director at my place of employment (in Colorado) to create a 30.06 sign for our Texas stores and a similar sign for our New Mexico stores. Doh! She approached me with "I have a fun project for you!" Then she proceeds to tell me "In Texas and New Mexico, they have a law where you can carry concealed weapons unless we post this sign with the exact guidelines." She said it like it was a bad thing.

So as the company graphic designer I made the signs. I didn't feel like trying to argue since the decision was made by the owners of the company and I didn't want to raise any undue suspicion my way.

I almost said, "A more appropriate sign would be "Criminals, all law abiding gun owners have been disarmed for your safety" but I need my job so I kept mum.

To you Texans and New Mexicans (is that right? ), I will ask you to write the company telling them why you won't shop there. But I need to wait until the signs are actually put up. I don't want to jump the gun (har har) too soon and have it come back to me.

Sorry. I had to vent. Argg!!
    III

Which stores,We actually had the Taco Cabanas take down their 30.06 signs when they realised we have a site that lists such places and most CHL holders will not spend their money there.If I knew who your bosses were I could email them and let them know I would be more than happy to post their choice on the wall of shame so that CHL holders will take their business elsewhere.I'm sure in todays thriving economy they can stand to turn away thousands of customers dollars.
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Distinguished Member Array tinkerinWstuff's Avatar
    do the colorado stores have signs? (what stores) Kind of funny since it sounds like someone tugged on the owners ear a bit and they made an uninformed decision without looking at the rest of the states.
    "Run for your life from the man who tells you that money is evil. That sentence is the leper's bell of an approaching looter. So long as men live together on earth and need means to deal with one another-their only substitute, if they abandon money, is the muzzle of a gun."

Who is John Galt?

VIP Member
    The 30.06 signs have to meet precise specifications. If she wants them to work, that is to be legal, she should buy some from a company that sells them. If she wants you to design one, you could take a real good look at the specification; it won't be hard to miss the mark slightly. In fact you might have a hard time doing it right even if you try. The exact design, including letter height, sign size, symbols, language, reference to code, is spelled out in TX law. Get any of it wrong and the sign is invalid.

You could go back to her and tell her that as part of the project, you investigated the matter and that you think she would lose business by posting such a sign on her business door in TX.

You don't have to tell her you disagree or that you carry, or anything like that. Just say that as you looked through the net you realized that the culture is different from where you are now, and in TX very many folks won't shop at stores that display them.

so what company is it we need to boycott....might as well start now.
    Glock 23
    Beretta 92fs
    Ruger Mark 3
    S&W 642
    Looking

Distinguished Member Array tinkerinWstuff's Avatar
    just so she doesn't Google 30.06 and/or *company name* and find your defensive carry thread. Probably make the connection quickly.
    "Run for your life from the man who tells you that money is evil. That sentence is the leper's bell of an approaching looter. So long as men live together on earth and need means to deal with one another-their only substitute, if they abandon money, is the muzzle of a gun."

Who is John Galt?

You should talk to the owners. Explain the situation, and that 30.06 signs: (a) do nothing to protect anybody from criminals; (b) only disarm law abiding citizens, making them vulnerable to criminals; and (c) (the winner) result in reduced business because law-abiding concealed carriers will not do business there.

In other words, 30.06 signs provide zero upside, only downside, for a business--why would any business person want to do that?

I had a friend that worked at a sign store. Whenever he was asked to make 30.06 signs he always made the letters 7/8". I really liked that guy...

You might want to mention to her that the signs are about 2 feet by 4 feet if they actually meet the legal requirements...its kind of an eyesore. Also, like was mentioned above, you get NO leeway and absolutely NO artistic freedom in 'designing' the sign. Not that I would mind if your signs aren't legal...Just sayin'.
    There are two sides to every issue: one side is right and the other is wrong, but the middle is always evil.

http://miscmusings.townhall.com/

Who is John Galt?

VIP Member

Kerbouchard actually has the answer

Quote Originally Posted by Kerbouchard View Post
    I had a friend that worked at a sign store. Whenever he was asked to make 30.06 signs he always made the letters 7/8". I really liked that guy...

You might want to mention to her that the signs are about 2 feet by 4 feet if they actually meet the legal requirements...its kind of an eyesore. Also, like was mentioned above, you get NO leeway and absolutely NO artistic freedom in 'designing' the sign. Not that I would mind if your signs aren't legal...Just sayin'.
    I think some really artsy signs would work well for our purposes. Definitely use interesting font sizes, and maybe add a line in French just in case someone can't read English or Spanish -- that would do the trick. She'd have her signs. We'd all be happy and laughing.

Ok, I am not getting this. Buzzgum was asked by his boss to do something that the company bosses decided needed to be done. He has asked that after the signage get posted we write the company and ask them to remove them.

So far lots of advice has been given to make a sign that doesn't meet the state standards, thereby making it invalid, and possibly jeapardizing his job.

What I am not understanding is that usually when a company posts a no carry sign the response is fine, they just won't get my business. Now since one of our members has been asked to do this by the company some are saying just make it where we don't have to pay attention to it.

So do we really want to boycott businesses that don't don't want us to carry in them or is that just a bunch of bunk. If we really don't want to spend money at places that don't want us carrying, then no one should be telling buzzgum anything besides, make sure the signage meets the standards.
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

+1. If you take the money to do the job, you're honor-bound to do it right unless you're willing to resign. Plus someone has to model the kind of integrity we hope our government 'leaders' will learn from, because their parents obviously didn't teach it to them.

VIP Member

Good points farronwold, let's not confuse tongue in cheek

Quote Originally Posted by farronwolf View Post
    Ok, I am not getting this. Buzzgum was asked by his boss to do something that the company bosses decided needed to be done. He has asked that after the signage get posted we write the company and ask them to remove them.

So far lots of advice has been given to make a sign that doesn't meet the state standards, thereby making it invalid, and possibly jeapardizing his job.

What I am not understanding is that usually when a company posts a no carry sign the response is fine, they just won't get my business. Now since one of our members has been asked to do this by the company some are saying just make it where we don't have to pay attention to it.

So do we really want to boycott businesses that don't don't want us to carry in them or is that just a bunch of bunk. If we really don't want to spend money at places that don't want us carrying, then no one should be telling buzzgum anything besides, make sure the signage meets the standards.

Good points Farronwolf; First, I guess it wasn't obvious that my suggestions were tongue in cheek. Second, Tigerbleau is absolutely correct that you don't agree to do a job, take the money, and then do it wrong.

Still, it sure is fun to think in those terms and daydream about the outcome.

VIP Member
    man that sux, thats a tough job to do knowing what you know
    but, you have a job to do, gotta put food on the table and afford to buy more ammo/guns for yourself
    we can deal with the 30.06 signs well enough
    LEO/CHL
    Certified Glock Armorer

"I got a touch of hangover bureaucrat, don't push me"
    --G.W. McClintock

Independence is declared; it must be maintained. Sam Houston-3/2/1836
    If loose gun laws are good for criminals why do criminals support gun control?

Quote Originally Posted by Hopyard View Post
    You could go back to her and tell her that as part of the project, you investigated the matter and that you think she would lose business by posting such a sign on her business door in TX.

You don't have to tell her you disagree or that you carry, or anything like that. Just say that as you looked through the net you realized that the culture is different from where you are now, and in TX very many folks won't shop at stores that display them.
    I think that is the best advise. Just pass it off as part of the research you were doing to make the sign.

unless you are independantly wealthy and can pick and choose your jobs. In this day and time you must do the best job you can for your employer or they will replace you. There are lots of people out there who are out of work. I just hope your employer is not a business I frequent because I or my family will not be entering an establishment that could become another Lubys killing field or terrorest target. This is what this sign says to the criminal mind it's safe (they are just insane not stupid) Whoever spots the signs please let us know so we can avoid the locations.
    NRA Life Member
    TSRA Life Member
    NAHC Life Member
    CHL Instructor
    TXCHIA Member
    BPOE Member

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Sponsored Links