Golf course carry

Golf course carry

This is a discussion on Golf course carry within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I play plenty of golf and many times are out in the middle of nowhere. The course has a clubhouse along with a halfway house ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Golf course carry

Golf course carry

I play plenty of golf and many times are out in the middle of nowhere. The course has a clubhouse along with a halfway house that sells alcohol. Also beer carts to sell to the players on the course many days. If you go there just to play golf and not visit the clubhouse or halfway house can you carry or have the gun in your golf bag out on the course? Thank you

I don't mean to disrespect your question, I'm sure your being honest with it but these question about when and where to carry are getting out of control. (EX; Should I Carry In Church?)
    I have played golf for the better part of 20 years and I have been to the bar before and after playing and never once has there been a fight or argument that would warrant someone having to pull out a firearm to defend himself.
    Most people who golf have $$$ and most are non-violent in the first place with their expensive cloths, shoes, hats, clubs and all the other stuff you can buy to "make" yourself look like a pro.
    Leave the gun at home when you golf and think about taking a karate lesson or two if your that paranoid about the golf scene. Or better yet, go home after your round and stay away from the bar.

First of all, welcome to the forum!

Second......do you have a CCW? If so, you can certainly carry on the golf course itself. It makes a lot of sense to do so too. Over the years, I've seen a lot of silly arguments over slow play, people hitting balls into the group ahead of them, and such. It never ceases to amaze me how otherwise normal, sensible people can become complete morons when you put a golf club in their hands......and oh, by the way, it's worth remembering that they often do have a club in their hands!

My personal problem is that I dislike having the gun on my person while playing. Since we pretty much have to ride in a cart just about everywhere down here, that means that if I choose to carry on the course, I either have to leave it in the cart, in my bag, or I have to suck it up and keep it on me. I prefer not to leave the gun unsecured in the cart while I'm away from it, so I personally make the decision to leave it locked in my car until the round is over.

That's my personal choice and will likely horrify some people, but it's a sacrifice I'm willing to make. Besides, I figure that if worst comes to worst, I have a bag 'o clubs that I can reach into as well!
    "Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in a grey twilight that knows not victory nor defeat."

Theodore Roosevelt

That would depend on the golf course rules. As for golf courses being safe, there is one in the Richmond area, and I occasionally play there. where there was an armed robbery and a shooting on the course. I don't remember the exact details, just that the BG shot the victim in the leg. The bullet lodged in a golf ball that he had in his pocket and left a dimpled bruise. I do carry to and from my local course, but I keep my gun in a pocket of my golf bag.

The course I play at has two courses and are far away from public housing so an attack from a non golfer is nill. And I do agree with you about most people who play the game get angry at their golf clubs instead of their playing partners. But have been challenged on the course by stray dogs before not to mention seeing and avoiding deer in the springtime. I should have been more clear.

Quote Originally Posted by pmjcbryant View Post
    The course I play at has two courses and are far away from public housing so an attack from a non golfer is nill. And I do agree with you about most people who play the game get angry at their golf clubs instead of their playing partners. But have been challenged on the course by stray dogs before not to mention seeing and avoiding deer in the springtime. I should have been more clear.
    Sorry, I wasn't clear. My point was that someone who gets angry on the course has a deadly weapon available to them in the form of a golf club. From that perspective, I actually think that it is prudent to carry on the course, even though I personally choose not to do so.
    "Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in a grey twilight that knows not victory nor defeat."

Theodore Roosevelt

Your point is well taken, thanks for all the responses.

It's not fellow golfers that I'd fear, it's BGs who realize there are people with money, seemingly unprotected, out on the course. Most courses are very easy to get on and off, especially far from the club house. A set of clubs alone can quickly run into the four digit price range. That said, it's not very convenient to wear a weapon while playing, and if a BG steals your bag (with your gun in it) now they have your gun too.
    Tough call...
    "Do your duty in all things. You cannot do more, you should never wish to do less."
    "Save in defense of my native State, with the sincere hope that my poor services may never be needed, I hope I may never be called on to draw my sword" - Gen. R. E. Lee

I carry while golfing regularly. Not on me ,but in my bag(I don't stray more than 10 yeards from my bag and he won't get there before I do). There are several public courses in Houston that are adjacent to really bad neighborhoods and/or public housing. Miscreants will and do come on to the course to hassle golfers and at one course, they will steal balls and then try to sell them back. So no, to those of you who think the original question was crazy, it isn't. Just depends on the situation.

Plus in answer to the original premise, I was in a tournament at a high dollar Houston course recently, when an obviously crazy SOB walked up to us on a tee box from some $1 million + homes being built. He proceeds to hassle the crap out of us to let him drive with each of our drivers because he could hit 300+ yards. Yeah right. He put his hand on my driver and my stare made him back away really quick. Now I wasn't carrying during that round (nice course you know) but damned sure wish I was cause now the crazy SOB was holding a deadly weapon (buddy's 9 degree Ping driver).

So if you feel the need to carry on the course, hell yeah do it!
    Last edited by Captain Crunch; March 4th, 2009 at 12:34 PM. Reason: Language.
    SE Texas Patriot Guard Rider, NRA Patron, TSRA Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by thug23 View Post
    I don't mean to disrespect your question, I'm sure your being honest with it but these question about when and where to carry are getting out of control. (EX; Should I Carry In Church?)
    I have played golf for the better part of 20 years and I have been to the bar before and after playing and never once has there been a fight or argument that would warrant someone having to pull out a firearm to defend himself.
    Most people who golf have $$$ and most are non-violent in the first place with their expensive cloths, shoes, hats, clubs and all the other stuff you can buy to "make" yourself look like a pro.
    Leave the gun at home when you golf and think about taking a karate lesson or two if your that paranoid about the golf scene. Or better yet, go home after your round and stay away from the bar.
    You never know when or where an attack will happen, otherwise (hopefully) you wouldn't put yourself in hat situation. The point if carrying is to protect yourself if you are put in that situation.

People with "$$$" are just as capable of going nuts and shooting at people as anybody else.

As long as you are not drinking, I don't see why you wouldn't carry on the course.

I would have it on my person, not in my bag, as the bag can be easily unattended at times.

This forum is a place for people to ask questions and get advise. It was obvious what the thread was about by the title, and if you don't want to read this threads, SKIP OVER IT. Pretty simple concept huh?

Roger

VIP Member
    I've never played golf, but I've been all over this country and I've never been in a situation where it's warranted pulling a gun either, but I pretty much carry everywhere I go. I must be paranoid. Your "example" about carrying in church, are you saying people shouldn't carry in church because its not necessary? Or is it that you think it's just a stupid question? Not sure where you were going with that.
    It would be great to able to predict when I needed a gun or my seat belt.
    So let me understand this..... The guy is "paranoid" because he carries somewhere "you" say is a "safe zone"??? You said leave his gun at home. So if you're going to golf, nothing can happen between home and the golf course either? I guess those checkered pants are a deterrent?
    What I think is "out of control" is when someone tells me I'm paranoid because I choose to carry everywhere I go. I dont care where or when anybody carries, thats their business.
    Prepare for the worst and hope it never happens

VIP Member

Question

I detect an echo from the newspaper story in the http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulle...ght-right.html thread.

Why would anyone think their location and $$$ make them safe rather than a target?
    Μολὼν λαβέ

I'm just one root in a grassroots organization. No one should assume that I speak for the VCDL.

I am neither an attorney-at-law nor I do play one on television or on the internet. No one should assumes my opinion is legal advice.

Veni, Vidi, Velcro

One of the courses in my town was built over 100 years ago and at that time was in a very nice neighborhood, today it is the exact opposite. It has 27 holes now and some holes are a great distance from the club house. Late in the day, playing alone, it would be nice to have some extra protection.
    "The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people; it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government".
    Patrick Henry

Distinguished Member Array Elk Hunter's Avatar
    My golf swing is so bad I cannot imagine how bad it would be with my Kimber at my side. I guess I could keep in my bag with my chain saw and weed wacker. Don't laugh I know some of you guys wish you had the nerve to carry a chain saw or play in the dark so no one will see you.

Carry in the bag, I always walk so my bag is never far away. I have encountered a few knott heads on the course and a few driving by, never a SD encounter but I am ready.

Like one of the guys said you never know when you will need your seat belt or your gun.
    Last edited by Elk Hunter; March 4th, 2009 at 03:23 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by swaggs View Post
    It's not fellow golfers that I'd fear, it's BGs who realize there are people with money, seemingly unprotected, out on the course. Tough call...
    100% first part. Not a tough call.

@ 15 I was golfing and was approched (two males), beaten, and wounded with a knife(two areas). Was able to fend them off (martial arts Brown belt at the time). Then made a run to girlfriends house not to far. Who would've thought......It was a gated "well-to do" community, with secruity patrols and main entrence.

Since then I've never EVER really felt safe anywhere outside my home....even then I get a bit jumpy at times.

Two other times I've been "ruffed up" via other drama. IF there is a next time, I'm not going to get wounded in any way....I'm going to STOP the threat.

As the old sayings go...anytime anywhere...better to have it and not need it, then to need it and not have it.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links