What do you say?

This is a discussion on What do you say? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; What do you say when someone asks... "Why do you carry a gun?" Try to be serious OK?...

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: What do you say?

Question What do you say?

What do you say when someone asks... "Why do you carry a gun?"
    Try to be serious OK?
    Jeff
    NRA Member
    Kimber Ultra Carry II, Glock G23 & G36, Kahr PM9, Winchester 1300 Defender 12gauge pump
    (my favorite but hard to hide)

2. Remove Ads

Senior Member Array highvoltage's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by johnsonabq View Post
    What do you say when someone asks... "Why do you carry a gun?"
    Try to be serious OK?
    To protect myself, and possibly others, should (God forbid) something go wrong and I find myself in a situation that requires self-defense.

I say:

Because I am a peace loving individual who doesn't want his rights, property nor his life to be put in jeapordy by criminals. I am not a threat to citizens, they don't have to know nor see my gun and/or knive.

Up here in Vermont the economic times are really tough! A lot more people are hitchhiking and I have started picking people up, especially on the days where temps are well below -10 but I only help people out when I am armed. So far, so good and I have helped many a greatful people out who didn't know nor find out I was carrying.
    I am sworn to protect the Constitution of the U.S.A. from all threats both foreign and domestic.

"The same reason you wear a seat belt, to be prepared in the event i should need it."

If they argue the point, I then tell them to not put on thier seat belt until they are about to be hit or about to hit something since the odds are that they won't need it.

Bu then I've never been real good at diplomacy, but at least I don't just tell them that why I wear a gun is none of their business.
    NRA life member.

To be safe!

"Read the paper"
    Treat me good, I'll treat you better. Treat me bad, I'll treat you worse.

Because I am proud to be an American and it is my right.
    I know what you're thinking, "Did he fire six shots or only five?" Well, to tell you the truth, in all this excitement I kind of lost track myself...you've got to ask yourself one question: Do I feel lucky? Well, do ya, punk? - Dirty Harry

I cannot disagree with anyone's answers so far. However, I hope that no one ever discovers that I carry and I hope they never have any occassion to ask why I carry. I try hard to keep concealed as concealed as possible. If they ask, I will probably use one of the above answers.

Actually I just told my father-in-law "because I can and if he don't like it move to Canada". He was really ticked when he came over and I was wearing my pistol around the house. Told me, "what if the gun goes off and hits one of the kids". So I told him, "guns dont just go off you have to pull the trigger" but he don't belive me says you always hear about guns getting bumped and going off. He keeps his guns in the moisture haven addict letting them rust to bits. Never uses them. Idiot. Suprising because he works at a prison.
    Prior to his visit I was wearing my pistol around the house my wife didn't say a thing about it until his visit. So she had to say something about it. So I told her if she didn't like she could always move with her father to Canada. LOL

Also I tried the why do you wear your seat belt thing but it's voided because it's a law that you have to wear it. It's not a law that you have to carry a gun.

Ask if they have fire extinguishers or smoke alarms in their houses, and why...
    Treat me good, I'll treat you better. Treat me bad, I'll treat you worse.

Read my sig below
    Being peaceful does not guarantee peace, strength and a willingness to commit violence when needed does.

Why I carry

Because I can't fit a cop in my pocket. If more is necessary quote the ruling saying Police have no duty to protect any citizen
    George Washington: "A free people ought to be armed."

Honestly?

1) For protection
    2) Because I can
    My Music: www.reverbnation.com/dickiefredericks
    New tunes added.
    "The Double Tap Center Mass Boogie. Learn it, know it, love it, shoot it. Good guys should live, bad guys not so much. " - Ted Nugent 09

I always say, when asked that question, " to defend the lives of my family friends and myself. I would run away to save my life, I just won't beg for my life."

Distinguished Member Array MinistrMalic's Avatar
    Because of the old adage: "When seconds count, the police are only minutes away!" I carry for the same reason that I have a spare tire in my car and a fire alarm and extinguisher in the house. I hope that I will never need it but if I ever do I will need it immediately and desperately!

And with it I can protect myself and others from the rising violence in our world.
    "...whoever has no sword is to sell his coat and buy one." (Luke 22:36)
    Christianity and Self Defense from a Biblical Perspective

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Links