Florida ccw

Florida ccw

This is a discussion on Florida ccw within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I am A master Firearms instructor, Does anyone know how you go about teaching CCW or gun saftey courses in FL. ciricullium or sylibuss they ...

Thread: Florida ccw

Florida ccw

I am A master Firearms instructor, Does anyone know how you go about teaching CCW or gun saftey courses in FL. ciricullium or sylibuss they require. Thanks for your input

VIP Member
    First off, welcome to the forum.
    You should be able to contact the Department of Agriculture, Division of Licensing for the info you need.

Quote Originally Posted by archer51 View Post
    First off, welcome to the forum.
    You should be able to contact the Department of Agriculture, Division of Licensing for the info you need.
    And you might as well also contact your local gun range/club

Welcome to the forum. Below is an extract from FS 790.06 (2)(h) which delineates what the state accepts. If you meet or have the credentials below then you are good to go. I am currently scheduled to take the NRA Basic Pistol Instructor course this weekend. With this credential I can teach the 10 Hr basic pistol course or the abbreviated "first steps basic pistol orientation" course, both of which is honored for qualification for the FL permit.

(h) Demonstrates competence with a firearm by any one of the following:

1. Completion of any hunter education or hunter safety course approved by the Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission or a similar agency of another state;

2. Completion of any National Rifle Association firearms safety or training course;

3. Completion of any firearms safety or training course or class available to the general public offered by a law enforcement, junior college, college, or private or public institution or organization or firearms training school, utilizing instructors certified by the National Rifle Association, Criminal Justice Standards and Training Commission, or the Department of Agriculture and Consumer Services;

4. Completion of any law enforcement firearms safety or training course or class offered for security guards, investigators, special deputies, or any division or subdivision of law enforcement or security enforcement;

5. Presents evidence of equivalent experience with a firearm through participation in organized shooting competition or military service;

6. Is licensed or has been licensed to carry a firearm in this state or a county or municipality of this state, unless such license has been revoked for cause; or

7. Completion of any firearms training or safety course or class conducted by a state-certified or National Rifle Association certified firearms instructor;
    rolyat63
    NRA Certified Pistol Instructor

A gun in the hand is a million times more valuable than a cop on the phone!

FL Concealed Weapon or Firearm Program

Thanks for the feedback, I am excited about getting involved.

Distinguished Member Array Tally XD's Avatar
    What do these two below mean? Does this mean any CWL holder, former military, competition shooter or FFL licensed gun dealer can give concealed carry basic course training?

5. Presents evidence of equivalent experience with a firearm through participation in organized shooting competition or military service;

6. Is licensed or has been licensed to carry a firearm in this state or a county or municipality of this state, unless such license has been revoked for cause; or
    I am consistently on record and will continue to be on record as opposing concealed carry.
    - Barack Obama Chicago Tribune, April 27, 2004

Not much info

I have e-mailed Dept Of Agriculture after not finding very much about it. apperantly Florda has them but it is a chore to be one Ha Ha .Its like they don't want to many gun toters in Fl. I have e-mailed them and I will await their reply.

Thanks again
    Randy

Quote Originally Posted by Tally XD View Post
    What do these two below mean? Does this mean any CWL holder, former military, competition shooter or FFL licensed gun dealer can give concealed carry basic course training?

Sorry for not being explicit. These are the requirements to get the carry permit in FL. The two that I really can speak to are number 2 and number 7. If someone becomes a NRA certified instructor then he/she can: either teach a NRA course for which they are credentialed and/or teach their own course that meets the state guidelines.

There is a NRA counselor here in the Tampa Bay Area who is scheduling another basic pistol instructor course the weekend of the 28th of March. He does two or three a year. PM me if you would like his contact info.
    rolyat63
    NRA Certified Pistol Instructor

A gun in the hand is a million times more valuable than a cop on the phone!

FL Concealed Weapon or Firearm Program

Distinguished Member Array Tally XD's Avatar
    I work at a FFL gun dealer. My boss, the owner, has checked with the Dept. of Agriculture on this issue. He wants to give CCW classes (basic weapons/handgun safety course) to those applying for a Florida CWL.

He tells me that the Dept. of Agriculture stated that Florida has no real written state qualifications for giving such a course. He said the Dept. of Ag told him he should have already been giving the classes. What I didnt get from him was whether they meant for him [my boss]to be giving the instruction or whether or not they meant the classes held at his store. We are currently having classes at the store but there is a certified trainer and police officer trainer giving the classes.

The Florida statutes do say that to get a CWL you must either have the necessary training or you must attend a class that teaches, and is given by a certified instructor, basic firearms safety so you can get a "state certified" certificate of training. Florida has no "state certificate". It says it, but it doesn't exist.

The statutes do not explicitly outline who qualifies to give the instruction.
    I am consistently on record and will continue to be on record as opposing concealed carry.
    - Barack Obama Chicago Tribune, April 27, 2004

Links