Animal Hospital

This is a discussion on Animal Hospital within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; In Missouri, a hospital is off limits. Would this include an Emergency Vet Office, or as some call it, an Animal Hospital? I took my ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Animal Hospital

Animal Hospital

In Missouri, a hospital is off limits. Would this include an Emergency Vet Office, or as some call it, an Animal Hospital?

I took my dog to her appt yesterday and was carrying, and the question occurred to me after I left.

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    I wouldn't think a vet's office would count, but I've seen screwier things!

Distinguished Member Array tinkerinWstuff's Avatar
    that's a tricky one. 1st, does the law define hospital at the beginning of the section? 2nd, what is the generally accepted definition of the word hospital? And 3rd, what was the legislatures intent in the law?

http://www.thefreedictionary.com/hospital

Looking at dictionary definitions on the web, 'hospital' doesn't appear to differentiate between humans and animals. So your answer would probably have to stand in either how your state's law is written or a court challenge of what the legislatures intent was when passing the law. (provided you were ever caught carrying and someone wanted to make a stink).

That's my take on it.
    "Run for your life from the man who tells you that money is evil. That sentence is the leper's bell of an approaching looter. So long as men live together on earth and need means to deal with one another-their only substitute, if they abandon money, is the muzzle of a gun."

Who is John Galt?

VIP Member
    I would like to think that common sense would prevail and an animal hospital would not be covered by the law--but wow, crazy things can and do happen.

Personally, I wouldn't hesitate to carry at an animal hospital because I think it would be unlikely that even if found out, no one in their right mind would think the hospital prohibition actually applied to that situation.

Now, if the animal hospital is at a University's Veterinary College, then a whole other set of carry on campus issues crop up.

Distinguished Member Array Der Alte's Avatar
    Don't know about your situation but my Vet always wants to know what I'm carrying.
    Its a shame that youth is wasted on the young.

Hmmm.... did the vet see your gun and make a big stink about it?

No? Probably because it was concealed!
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

In Delaware, East of the Mason Dixon Line.
    It depends on what the definition of "is" is.
    "To believe that social reforms can eradicate evil altogether is to forget that evil is a protean creature, forever assuming a new shape when deprived of an old one." - SAT

Never argue with an idiot - they'll bring you down to their level then beat you with experience.

Simply put.... Our dogs are like our children..Right ?..(wink,wink) Looks good to the animal lovers.
    It takes over 40 muscles to frown. But yet less than 10 to smack the hell outta who makes you frown. Work smarter, not harder......

Sounds ridiculous, but a similar thing occured to me while driving past a place called "The Doll Hospital"

I guess they fix antique dolls or something. Anyhoo, while there is the common sense opinion, I can certainly see some whacko prosecuter arguing that it is a hospital, because I haven't seen "hospital" defined.
    Spend few minutes learning about my journey from Zero to Athlete in this mini documentary!
    Then check out my blog! www.BodyByMcDonalds.com

Cupcake - 100 pound loser, adventurer, Ironman Triathlete.

I would think that you couldn't carry there because of the drugs the Vet has. Its the same stuff as hospitals except the label says something like "For Veterinary Use Only".

Distinguished Member Array tinkerinWstuff's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Cupcake View Post
    Sounds ridiculous, but a similar thing occured to me while driving past a place called "The Doll Hospital"

I guess they fix antique dolls or something. Anyhoo, while there is the common sense opinion, I can certainly see some whacko prosecuter arguing that it is a hospital, because I haven't seen "hospital" defined.
    Check out the link I posted the the definition of 'hospital'

It lists dolls
    "Run for your life from the man who tells you that money is evil. That sentence is the leper's bell of an approaching looter. So long as men live together on earth and need means to deal with one another-their only substitute, if they abandon money, is the muzzle of a gun."

Who is John Galt?

You guys are "over-thinking" this one............

Without even looking I can guarantee that the folks who wrote in the "no carrying" in hospitals rule never even considered a pet hospital....

I doesn'treally matter what they intended, it is how it will later be interpretted(?).

There were no problems, no one other than me and the dog knew that I was carrying, just one of those "what if scenarios" running through my head after I left made me think of it.

I would like to think that common sense would prevail
    If that were the case, there would be no Criminal Protection Zones.
    "Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups"

Quote Originally Posted by akhimark View Post
    I would think that you couldn't carry there because of the drugs the Vet has. Its the same stuff as hospitals except the label says something like "For Veterinary Use Only".
    Using the "they have drugs there" line of thinking would lead you then to assume that it would also be prohibited to carry anywhere that had a pharmacy...Walmart, Walgreens, your doctors office, clinics etc.

I'm going to go out on a limb here and guess that some CCW restrictions are there simply to get the CCW fence sitters to pass the CCW law. Things like no carry in church, hospitals, day care centers and schools are things the CCW supporters typically give up in order to get a CCW initiative to pass.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links