Sheep grrrr

Sheep grrrr

This is a discussion on Sheep grrrr within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; The topic of ccw came up at the bi monthly poker game I play in. I mostly sat back and did not diclose that I ...

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Sheep grrrr

Sheep grrrr

The topic of ccw came up at the bi monthly poker game I play in. I mostly sat back and did not diclose that I carry. The host is pro gun but his wife is strong anti (and a British national). Well I ran into the host today and he said " leave your gun in the car if you come on friday it makes some people uncomfortable. Now he is the only one who knows I carry because we go to the range together. I think he mentioned it to his wife and she is the only uncomfortable one. She has never even seen my firearm (thank you smart carry). It just grinds my gears that people are so anti that the can not be in the room with a firearm.
    God invented cops so that firemen could have heroes too!

VIP Member
    She's no different than many non smokers, the only view that counts is theirs. You have 2 options:
    1. Disarm
    2. No longer go to their home

Quote Originally Posted by jdivence View Post
    The topic of ccw came up at the bi monthly poker game I play in. I mostly sat back and did not diclose that I carry. The host is pro gun but his wife is strong anti (and a British national). Well I ran into the host today and he said " leave your gun in the car if you come on friday it makes some people uncomfortable. Now he is the only one who knows I carry because we go to the range together. I think he mentioned it to his wife and she is the only uncomfortable one. She has never even seen my firearm (thank you smart carry). It just grinds my gears that people are so anti that the can not be in the room with a firearm.
    Sounds like it is a case of his wife making him uncomfortable to me.

My response is from now on if you want to have visits you can come to my house. Deliver me from uneducated knee jerk liberals.

Distinguished Member Array tinkerinWstuff's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by archer51 View Post
    She's no different than many non smokers, the only view that counts is theirs. You have 2 options:
    1. Disarm
    couldn't have said it better myself. I'm hard headed enough that I'd probably vote #2.
    "Run for your life from the man who tells you that money is evil. That sentence is the leper's bell of an approaching looter. So long as men live together on earth and need means to deal with one another-their only substitute, if they abandon money, is the muzzle of a gun."

Who is John Galt?

Quote Originally Posted by archer51 View Post
    1. Disarm
    I agree with the options, however I disagree with the statement that she is no different than non smokers. That would be like me saying, "Don't come into my house with those cigarettes in your inside coat pocket that I cannot see nor that affect me in any way."

I have been confronted with this only once. I politely told them fine, I will not disarm, and I will no longer come to your home. If people are like that to me, I simply write them off. Just my two cents, your mileage of course is your own to drive.

That's too bad, I guess the host is not "pro-gun enough". Another good reason not to tell anyone your carrying concealed. If you have to disarm can you still enjoy your friends and card game? I would have to bow out, no longer could be comfortable. My advice don't get between wife and friend on this one.Good luck!
    While people are saying "Peace and safety," destruction will come on them suddenly, ... and they will not escape. 1Th 5:3

Quote Originally Posted by NavyLT View Post
    I agree with the options, however I disagree with the statement that she is no different than non smokers. That would be like me saying, "Don't come into my house with those cigarettes in your inside coat pocket that I cannot see nor that affect me in any way."
    +1. I think the the OP has another option also, maybe he could start hosting the games at his house?One other question for the OP, do you drink at these poker games?
    You gain strength, courage, and confidence by every experience in which you really stop to look fear in the face. You are able to say to yourself, "I have lived through this horror. I can take the next thing that comes along." . . . You must do the thing you think you cannot do. Eleanor Roosevelt

Quote Originally Posted by NavyLT View Post
    I don't think it was meant (at least in my case, I know it wasn't meant) to reference smoking in someone else's house.

It was a generalization and broad paintbrush of the typical non-smoker who isn't willing to listen to other peoples side of an arguement.
    "Run for your life from the man who tells you that money is evil. That sentence is the leper's bell of an approaching looter. So long as men live together on earth and need means to deal with one another-their only substitute, if they abandon money, is the muzzle of a gun."

Who is John Galt?

No booze at the game. 3 of 9 regulars are "friends of Bill W". I think I need to go find a new poker game.
    God invented cops so that firemen could have heroes too!

If it were my buddy, I'd tell him to man up and grow a pair. He goes shooting with you but isn't willing to defend his (assumed) pro-2A viewpoints in the home?

Who is John Galt?

Quote Originally Posted by tinkerinWstuff View Post
    If it were my buddy, I'd tell him to man up and grow a pair. He goes shooting with you but isn't willing to defend his (assumed) pro-2A viewpoints in the home?
    +1 Have to agree with tinkerin, you buddy has to find out what stance on 2a he takes and stick with it.
    For as the lightning comes from the east and flashes to the west, so also will the coming of the son of man be. Mathew 24:27

NRA Member

Quote Originally Posted by tinkerinWstuff View Post
    While I agree with you 100%, the host is caught "between a rock and a hard place". After all his home is also his wife's home so he can't win either way. Either he causes friction with his wife of his friends, not a good spot to be in. Since the wife will be there when the friends leave, he made the best choice for his own situation.
    I personally would find another poker game or suggest another location.
    NRA life member.

One thing I have always understood is that firearms make some people uncomfortable. I carry concealed because I have no interest in causing some to feel that way. As responsible gun owners I think we need to respect the wishes of others and not bring a weapon into their home if that is what they ask. It is their home and they have the right to decide. To go with a smoking analogy for a second we do not allow smoking in our home and we feel people should respect that and not smoke in our house when visiting.
    JimH
    Kentucky
    S&W 442, Bersa 380, S&W 9mm M&P, Springfield XD40c
    Member: NRA, USCCA

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Links