Marijuana + Roomate = DQ my CCP? (NC) - Page 2

Marijuana + Roomate = DQ my CCP? (NC)

This is a discussion on Marijuana + Roomate = DQ my CCP? (NC) within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by Twiggy good lord the guy isnt making crack in the kitchen, if hes a best friend i see no reason why you ...

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Twiggy View Post
    good lord the guy isnt making crack in the kitchen, if hes a best friend i see no reason why you should kick him out and stop being friends, i mean really? Tell him that you would appreciate it as a friend, to not bring that stuff into the place and try to stop smoking, and if he cant take it somewhere else. If it looks like its still going to be a problem after that then consider more aggressive steps...

Just my thought.....
    Just pot, eh? That may very well be. And we all know how benign pot probably is.

However, under the Controlled Substance Act (CSA) marijuana is currently classified by the FDA and DEA as a Schedule I narcotic.

Schedule I drugs are:

(A) The drug or other substance has a high potential for abuse.

(B) The drug or other substance has no currently accepted medical use in treatment in the United States.

(C) There is a lack of accepted safety for use of the drug or other substance under medical supervision.

Under the DEA's interpretation of the CSA, a drug does not necessarily have to have the same abuse potential as heroin or cocaine to merit placement in Schedule I (in fact, cocaine is currently a Schedule II drug due to limited medical use)

Now I didn't write the law, and I may or may not even agree with the law, but Marijuana Is A Schedule I Drug, and that is a fact.

Now we all know prosecution of such for breaking marijuana laws may be all over the page and is certainly lax in many places.

But one thing is certain. If you have a GUN, and you are caught up even loosely, with a charge having anything to do with a Schedule I drug, you stand a very strong chance of losing your firearm privileges. And CCW will be the first thing that goes.

It caused a big stink when they passed the law where even a misdemeanor conviction for domestic violence, even where no jail time was served mandated you can not own firearms anymore. And it was made retroactive. Convictions which took place a decade before the law was passed still resulted in not being able to own a firearm.

So you may think Pot is a little thing and no big deal. Add a gun to the mix and it may very well be a big deal.

I am not an attorney and this is just my opinion, YMMV.

LEO's feel free to elaborate in either direction.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

and i said do not worry about it and do nothing where? All i said was people were talking pretty extreme measures fast. I completely agree action must be taken, but i wouldnt go so far as to not call them a friend. Maybe he doesnt know that he could get his friend in that kinda trouble. Maybe he should let the friend know how it could affect him with the law and him owning guns. I dont see how any of what i said is unreasonable

I would tell him look either it goes or you go but not sure I would end a friendship without first addressing it. Remember that association is often used as a means for you to be guilty. This of course will be a mute point if the new legislation for CA goes into effect as it will most likely trickle to other states....

And I never said jettison the friendship either. I'm just laying out the facts as I see them.

Either the best friend/room mate needs to leave his pot totally out of the house and away from his friends existence, or he should be man enough to move out so he isn't the cause of his friend losing his firearm privileges.

I also didn't say don't sit down and have a discussion with him either. But I would also look at him with a cautious eye if he just cavalierly say's I'll quit smoking pot. That is easier said than actually done.

There are a lot of people and one or two distant family members I really don't associate with anymore because of my ccw and my association with law enforcement as a medic on the tactical team. I can't very well be part of tactical team if I'm caught up in a raid on a prior friends house because he was a low level pot dealer even though I was just there watching a movie and having a couple beers but not partaking in the illegal activity I knew was going on.

There are aspects in my life that I will no longer place at risk, and a couple of those are my ccw permit and being able to have firearms at all.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

There are aspects in my life that I will no longer place at risk, and a couple of those are my ccw permit and being able to have firearms at all.
    Well said, and I agree.

My off duty conduct is cause for being terminated in certain cases. This is one of those cases.

Biker

Depending on what LE agency ends up in your house they OFTEN will confiscate all your weapons, cash and tell you if you want it back you have to go thru a judge and they intentionally drag it out FOREVER hoping you will give up. Throw him out. Think about all the people in Mexico getting murdered, the cops getting shot and the tax dollars waisted so he can smoke his joint!
    Lions, Tigers, Bears and MTGun! Oh My!

Lead Moderator
    If you want to keep your permit I wouldn't take a chance. You need to do something!
    Rick

EOD - Initial success or total failure

Three words: Guilty by Association.
    "Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups"

Administrator
    If he is really a good friend and he got caught - he would "man up" and accept all responsibility and say that you were not in any way involved.
    Then a follow~up drug test would clear you.
    That having been said he should not be keeping or hiding any illegal drugs in a place that is not entirely his own.

Yup, time for a new room mate.
    My Music: www.reverbnation.com/dickiefredericks
    New tunes added.
    "The Double Tap Center Mass Boogie. Learn it, know it, love it, shoot it. Good guys should live, bad guys not so much. " - Ted Nugent 09

VIP Member
    Is it your house, if so it is on the line also.

Quote Originally Posted by Twiggy View Post
    good lord the guy isnt making crack in the kitchen, if hes a best friend i see no reason why you should kick him out and stop being friends, i mean really? Tell him that you would appreciate it as a friend, to not bring that stuff into the place and try to stop smoking, and if he cant take it somewhere else. If it looks like its still going to be a problem after that then consider more aggressive steps...

Just my thought.....
    Sorry, but I diagree with this aproach. While I think helping your friend is very important, the roommate does not have any consideration for the OP. The roommate and his illegal substance needs to be removed from the Ops home. This situation coud result in criminal charges against the OP and he should not be put in this situation. If the "friend" is picked up for a controlled substance, a search warrant could be issued in some circumstances and if more is found in the OPs home, he could possibly be charged as well.
    NRA life member.

He'd be gone now if not sooner. There is a lot more on line than your license.
    Les Baer 45
    Sig Man
    N.R.A. Patron Life Member
    M.C.R.G.O.

So are we sure he is only using? What happens if he decides an easy way to pay for his is to maybe sell a little here and there? How are you going to react to the "no knock" warrant service in the middle of the night?
    Infowars- Proving David Hannum right on a daily basis

Quote Originally Posted by BikerRN View Post
    IT'S JUST WEED MAN!

If you knew how many times I have heard that, and the effects of weed on society as a whole, you wouldn't be taking the position you are on this matter, IMO.

Seeing and dealing with people that are transporting the stuff "across the line" on a daily basis gives me a very low tolerance for any illegal drug activity. I understand that some people can be "recreational" users of the drug, and I've even tried it myself a few times, but as I see more and more of what it does to our society I become more and more opposed to it.

Are you, the OP, willing to risk a possible felony charge for "friendship"?

That's it, in a nutshell.

Biker
    Biker, what affect does alcohol have on our society. I mean how many people get high and grab a gun or wreck a car?
    Alcohol is ten times worse then weed!!!
    Make no mistake, it's illegal and should be dealt with, but if your best friends won't go the extra mile to help you if you start down the wrong path or make a mistake, who will.

Try to help your friend clean up and let it be known that it's not welcome in your house, if that don't work then look to kick him to the curb...JMO
    GUN CONTROL= I WANT TO BE THE ONE IN CONTROL OF THE GUN

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Links