Marijuana + Roomate = DQ my CCP? (NC)

This is a discussion on Marijuana + Roomate = DQ my CCP? (NC) within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Here is my .02. I personally have never tried it but I have done this with friends and empolyees. I would sit the friend down ...

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Marijuana + Roomate = DQ my CCP? (NC)

Here is my .02. I personally have never tried it but I have done this with friends and empolyees. I would sit the friend down in a smallest room of the house and explain that with his drug use you dont him or you to spend the next years of your life in a room 6 x 9. Either he to quit smoking, clean his self up and go for a piss test or he can pack his stuff and get out.
    What happens went your friend loses his job and doesn't have the means to support himself and to get his little enjoyment the dealers extend him some credit and then they come knocking on your door looking for him or payment. Not good all around.

2. Remove Ads

I'd say that it certainly seems within the realm of possibility that you'de find yourself in hot water.

I'd just sit the roommate down and spell it out for him; you're not willing to risk what you have because of his bad habit. The choice is then his; either quit or find a different place to live.

Hopefully, since you're such good friends, you will be a positive influence on him!
    NRA Endowment Member
    GOA Life Member

If it is in your place of residence, you can be charged. It may not stick, but you can be charged.

You need to separate yourself from that activity, one way or another.

Get a lawyer to be sure

I've rented a room in my home, separate property I've owned, and even my primary residence when I was overseas for 2 years. My guess is all of those situations would be different if the tenant was caught with illegal drugs. I'm sure some of it might depend on the house layout (is there an outside door to his room).

Talk to a lawyer.

I'm sure there have been parents with a CCW permit in a similar situation with their child. Does that change things? Child being 16, 17, 18, 21?

Quote Originally Posted by Twiggy View Post
    good lord the guy isnt making crack in the kitchen, if hes a best friend i see no reason why you should kick him out and stop being friends, i mean really? Tell him that you would appreciate it as a friend, to not bring that stuff into the place and try to stop smoking, and if he cant take it somewhere else. If it looks like its still going to be a problem after that then consider more aggressive steps...

Just my thought.....
    I am going to sort of take Twiggy's side on this. Certainly I think his response is a bit more "casual" than what the situation deserves BUT throwing out a friend of many years is also not as cut & dry.

If it were me I would take Twiggy's stance BUT with a good bit more stern-ness. Instead of asking him "as a friend" to pretty please don't bring it in the house I would tell him straight up either it goes or he goes. End of discussion.

There is no reason to NOT give him the chance to clean up his actions. As a friend that is what is owed to him. If he doesn't comply then begin eviction proceedings.

You are putting yourself at risk.
    JimH
    Kentucky
    S&W 442, Bersa 380, S&W 9mm M&P, Springfield XD40c
    Member: NRA, USCCA

Distinguished Member Array JerryM's Avatar
    We used to say, "Birds of a feather, flock together." As has been said you are guilty by association.
    Amos 3:3 *Can two walk together, except they be agreed?

I would immediately get rid of the roommate. No one is so good a friend to put you in such a position, and you must use mature judgment and realize that you could suffer a consequence that would last a lifetime if you continue to have him for a roommate.

A young man who was very dear to me did not want to stay away from a friend of longstanding who got involved in marijuana. Although not involved himself in any way it cost him his life for being in the wrong place at the wrong time.

Stay away from such people, and it will save you some serious problems.

Regards,
    Jerry

Quote Originally Posted by Evil Drew M View Post
    There is no reason to NOT give him the chance to clean up his actions. As a friend that is what is owed to him. If he doesn't comply then begin eviction proceedings.

How about the reason that the OP is still at risk while this guy cleans up? Maybe he stops using, maybe he doesn't but what if he is caught while the OP is giving him a chance to quit. The room mate obviously has no concern for the OP or he would not have put the OP in danger of being arrested. The OP simply should not take the risk. Maybe he should tell the room mate to get out, stop using, clean himself up and then, and only then, would he be welcome in the OPs home? Now that the OP knows about the drugs in his home, he would be covering up a crime and that in itself could bring charges upon him.
    One of the problems we have today is that too many people are "given chances" without having to be held accountable for their actions!!
    NRA life member.

Quote Originally Posted by JerryM View Post
    We used to say, "Birds of a feather, flock together." As has been said you are guilty by association.
    Amos 3:3 *Can two walk together, except they be agreed?

I would immediately get rid of the roommate. No one is so good a friend to put you in such a position, and you must use mature judgment and realize that you could suffer a consequence that would last a lifetime if you continue to have him for a roommate.

A young man who was very dear to me did not want to stay away from a friend of longstanding who got involved in marijuana. Although not involved himself in any way it cost him his life for being in the wrong place at the wrong time.

Stay away from such people, and it will save you some serious problems.

Regards,
    Jerry

+1,000
    NRA life member.

interesting

alright, and time to be oposition at the risk of being ripped apart by this group. im not a LEO, just an open thinking person. (not that LEO's arent) so just as a hypothetical, your in your house say grilling a few steaks and having a couple of beers with your wife. say a BG kicks in your front door comes at your with a knife you kill him where he stands.
    do you get into trouble because you've had a few beers or does your right to defend yourself supercede your clear deterioration of judgement? now say your sitting at your house smoking a joint, someone kicks in your door comes at you with a knife and you kill him where he stands. now your going to jail for sure. i understand marijuana is different in that it is illegal, but its effects on a person are similar if not less profound then alcohol. (and certainly alcohol's much much more destructive over a long term period of use. ever see someone detox?!) I work in mental health and ive seen hundreds if not thousands of people destroy their lives with alcohol, and in my professional opinion alcohol is 10x more of a problem in this country then marijuana. i can honestly say ive seen only a handful of people wreck their lives because of marijuana. they destroyed themselves because they would put buying pot over feeding their family (which is horrible too) i understand the violence associatied with illegal drugs is bad especially in the south west, but durring prohibition it was just as bad except it was with the border of canada because thats where the alcohol was comming in. LEO's how do you feel about all of this? not to hijack the thread, and if someone has already covered this please let me know.

kpw
    Pot is always called the harmless drug but it is illegal. I'd agree that alcohol is a much bigger problem in society. The LE in this country have a duty to find and arrest growers, smugglers and dealers. In doing their job, they put their lives on the line and sometimes pay the ultimate consequence. Those people that say it's harmless never think of the families that have to deal with those consequences. There is nothing harmless about smoking a little weed when you look at the big picture.

Quote Originally Posted by isaiah357 View Post
    alright, and time to be oposition at the risk of being ripped apart by this group. im not a LEO, just an open thinking person. (not that LEO's arent) so just as a hypothetical, your in your house say grilling a few steaks and having a couple of beers with your wife. say a BG kicks in your front door comes at your with a knife you kill him where he stands.
    do you get into trouble because you've had a few beers or does your right to defend yourself supercede your clear deterioration of judgement? now say your sitting at your house smoking a joint, someone kicks in your door comes at you with a knife and you kill him where he stands. now your going to jail for sure. i understand marijuana is different in that it is illegal, but its effects on a person are similar if not less profound then alcohol. (and certainly alcohol's much much more destructive over a long term period of use. ever see someone detox?!) I work in mental health and ive seen hundreds if not thousands of people destroy their lives with alcohol, and in my professional opinion alcohol is 10x more of a problem in this country then marijuana. i can honestly say ive seen only a handful of people wreck their lives because of marijuana. they destroyed themselves because they would put buying pot over feeding their family (which is horrible too) i understand the violence associatied with illegal drugs is bad especially in the south west, but durring prohibition it was just as bad except it was with the border of canada because thats where the alcohol was comming in. LEO's how do you feel about all of this? not to hijack the thread, and if someone has already covered this please let me know.

isaiah357,

Philosophically I agree, but the bottom line is that pot is illegal & the OP asked if his roommates actions could negatively affect him. We may not all agree that they (the roomy's actions) should have an impact on the OP, but I think we all agree that they certainly could.
    NRA Endowment Member
    GOA Life Member

I do not understand asking for guidance. This is a very simple yes or no situation. Your "friend" is putting you in harms way for the rest of your life.

Which do you like more?

These...?

or

This...?
    Last edited by RETSUPT99; March 7th, 2009 at 02:42 PM.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Since the roomie is a"friend", I would say that I've chatted with an attorney buddy and according to (quote state law here), I could get into (quote penalties here) trouble. Therefore, I would require him to have no marijuana in my house. Then I would suggest to my friend that if he really wants to smoke his pot, he should join NORML and enlist in the battle to have marijuana decriminalized. Once his possession is deemed legal, he can bring it back into my house.

Some of you guys talk like pot is similar to crack or heroin. Gimme a break. Pot is basically non-toxic. Have you ever heard of anyone OD'ing on pot? It doesn't happen. Contrast that to all the people that die every single year from "safe" prescription drugs.

Besides being benign, pot has plenty of valid medical uses. A neighbor of mine has severe MS and he says that smoking pot is the only thing that helps him. Thankfully, we live In Rhode Island where medical marijuana is approved. Additionally, my mother recently died from cancer (in Canada) and she was taking doctor-approved (could not officially prescribe it) hemp oil, which is made from marijuana plant. The hemp oil was the ONLY thing that gave her any appetite and helped her sleep. I saw it first-hand, as I was there most of the time. The hemp oil worked.

Anyway, your roomie needs to keep pot out of house and work to make his possession legal. Otherwise, he (and you) could be among the almost one million people arrested every year (a serious waste of taxpayer money IMO) for marijuana offenses.

Just MHO..........

-
    'Be careful, even in small matters' - Miyamoto Musashi

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Links