Marijuana + Roomate = DQ my CCP? (NC)

This is a discussion on Marijuana + Roomate = DQ my CCP? (NC) within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by cdwolf ...Alcohol is ten times worse then weed!!!... Originally Posted by isaiah357 ...I work in mental health and ive seen hundreds if ...

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Marijuana + Roomate = DQ my CCP? (NC)

Distinguished Member Array Paymeister's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by cdwolf View Post
    ...Alcohol is ten times worse then weed!!!...
    Quote Originally Posted by isaiah357 View Post
    ...I work in mental health and ive seen hundreds if not thousands of people destroy their lives with alcohol, and in my professional opinion alcohol is 10x more of a problem in this country then marijuana. ...
    Not taking sides on which is worse: abuse of alcohol, marijuana, pills, powders, injectables... all wrong, all bad for you I'm not talking about legit medical use, but rather recreational 'check-out-of-the-real-world' use in defiance of law - think of alcohol's use in Communion (good) vs. drunk driver/wife-beater (bad).

But the issue here is with the law, and cdwolf and isaiah357are making the noble mistake of trying to make sense of the law. It's great if the law DOES happen to make sense, but it seems a rarity when they go together sometimes!

Here, presence of the drug-positive roomie is not good but probably acceptable in terms of risk. Presence of illegal drugs, however, is WAY over the line in terms of the roomie putting the OP at risk of:
    • Loss of good name,
    • Arrest;
    • Jail;
    • Loss of 2A rights;
    • Loss of concealed permit;
    • Injury/loss of life/family if DOWN THE ROAD a concealed weapon would have stopped an event, if he can't have a permit;
    • Injury/death from a dealer/dealee;
    • Injury/death from a LEO on a no-knock warrent; and
    • Killing a LEO with a family yadda yadda if the OP happens to respond as trained to home invasions.

Read Tough Love: in a nutshell, is says to forget promises and call things what they are - wife kicks cheating husband out on his kiester so he recognizes he can't enjoy the privileges of a 'happy marriage' and his philandering at the same time (he's made a choice already), and don't take him back until there's a solid history of proper behavior.

Applied here, the roomate gets the option of no drugs on the property (if in his car, the car stays off-property), or he walks.
    • If he's on the lease, tell him to get his sorry backside out and keep paying the rent, as that's what he signed up to do.
    • Pursue it with the landlord, as there's sure to be a clause in the contract about illegal activities: see other threads on this subject.
    • Move, then call the cops, perhaps.
    • If you're on the lease, sue your pal AND the landlord in small-claims court.

But DO NOT turn a blind eye to this! Out of love for your friend and concern for your own safety (and the safety of wife and kids down the road, since you might or might not have that permit based on idiot roommate's behavior now), do not turn a blind eye. It ain't "just weed" - it's your life and your family-to-be he's messing with!

Is this cold and heartless? Cold, perhaps. Heartless? Not at all: your pal needs to recognize that there are consequenses to his actions. The sooner he realizes this, the easier it will be for him to turn back to the real world and lead a responsible life. If this is considered to be "no big deal", he's move on to the next indulgence and the next and the next. You are doing this to 1) protect yourself (hey, you're into self-defense, yes?) and 2) rescue your friend. Sure, it may kill the friendship, but that's the price your friend has ALREADY chosen to pay to permit his habit - it is/was HIS decision: you just happen to be the vehicle through which his already-bought-and-paid-for consequences arrive.

Praying for wisdom and courage - for both of you.
    Last edited by Paymeister; March 7th, 2009 at 09:06 AM. Reason: clarified abuse vs. medical use
    Recently updated website: http://www.damagedphotorepair.com

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array morintp's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by kpw View Post
    Pot is always called the harmless drug but it is illegal. I'd agree that alcohol is a much bigger problem in society. The LE in this country have a duty to find and arrest growers, smugglers and dealers. In doing their job, they put their lives on the line and sometimes pay the ultimate consequence. Those people that say it's harmless never think of the families that have to deal with those consequences. There is nothing harmless about smoking a little weed when you look at the big picture.
    I have to join the minority here in saying that the only reason weed is harmful is because it is illegal. If it was legal, it would be grown by farmers and corporations, sold in stores, etc. No smugglers or dealers in the picture. The reason it can be considered a "gateway" drug is because it is illegal and lots of times sold by the same people that sell crack, heroin, etc. Pot is a lot easier for our kids to get than beer because it's illegal. Most of the "harm" associated with marijuana is directly related to it being illegal.

Personally, I think it should be made legal for adults. Save officers lives, save money investigating, prosecuting and incarcerating people for it. Tax the crap out of it. Use the saved money and new tax money to wage a real war on the bad/harmful drugs.

But with that said....because it is illegal, the OP does need to talk with his buddy. Maybe call a lawyer familiar with your states gun laws first and ask what your legal consequences would be if he was arrested. But even if the lawyer tells you that you're fine, I'd still worry about having someone your buddy met at his dealer break in your house looking for drugs or money.
    64,999,987 firearms owners killed no one yesterday.

Quote Originally Posted by Dakota97 View Post
    How about the reason that the OP is still at risk while this guy cleans up? Maybe he stops using, maybe he doesn't but what if he is caught while the OP is giving him a chance to quit. The room mate obviously has no concern for the OP or he would not have put the OP in danger of being arrested. The OP simply should not take the risk. Maybe he should tell the room mate to get out, stop using, clean himself up and then, and only then, would he be welcome in the OPs home? Now that the OP knows about the drugs in his home, he would be covering up a crime and that in itself could bring charges upon him.
    One of the problems we have today is that too many people are "given chances" without having to be held accountable for their actions!!
    Too many people in this thread are jumping from point A to point J and skipping all the points in-between.

Let me preface this by saying I don't smoke weed, I don't condone the smoking of weed and aside for a few casual acquaintances I see in passing I don't associate with people who smoke weed.

Here is the thing I do know, and where a ton of you are missing some points. Pot smokers come in all shapes and sizes ranging from the idiot wannabe O.G. tHuG Snoop Dogg types that can't wait to tell the world about their habits to the guy who comes home from work, sits down on the couch, lights a joint, smokes it and then goes to bed.

We don't know which type of pot smoker this guy's roomate is. Some of you will say it doesn't matter but it DOES matter from a legal standpoint. Why? Because in order for the OP to get in trouble the roomate would have to do something to give cause for a search of the house. Getting pulled over and getting caught with a bag of weed is not P.C. for a search of one's home (Unless it is a large enough quantity to fall into intent to distribute). Getting busted buying a dime bag from a cop isn't enough P.C. for a search of one's home.

So if this roomate is buying a small bag here and there from another friend, and smoking it at home and then staying there the risk to the OP is greatly reduced from a legal standpoint. You all make it sound like cops sit outside of our houses just waiting to kick the doors in as soon as someone lights up a joint and that simply isn't the case.

With that in mind - I further state my belief that throwing this guy out instantly isn't the proper course of action AT THIS TIME. Tell him to keep it out of the house. If he wants to have a bag tell him to keep it in his car where there won't be any confusion as to who it belongs to if and when it is found. Tell him there will not be any smoking on your property. End of story.

Chances are he will whine, pack the stuff up and put it in his car and comply with your wishes.

Remember - living with a pot smoker isn't illegal. Having pot/paraphernalia in your house is.

Wow! One day and the thread is very informative! I appreciate the help and concern!

My friend does not smoke at the house (to my knowledge)
    He is a recreational user, the same habit he had a few years back and stopped and we were all very proud of him.

Here is how it went down.

Yesterday I was at work, he sent me a text message asking if I was at the office and I said no, im out running errands now, why? He said he would tell me later. Next thing I know my girlfriend calls and said my friend is coming to get the house key from her because he locked himself out. I called and said "Stop smoking weed and you'll get your brain cells back" (I am a smartass when it comes to things like that).

To make a long story short I go into explaining laws, rights we could and would lose, pretty much everything that was stated in this thread. I said, "Your're your own person and therefore I don't care what you do but have the respect as a friend and get this stuff off my property."

A few minutes later my girlfriend calls and explains to me she pretty much gave him the same lecture but took it a step further to the healthcare standpoint.

She is a nurse on the intensive care level of a local hospital and gave him many lectures about patients she sees affected by drugs and invited him to come take a look.

I hope this is a wake-up call for him.

I want to thank all you guys for your input and opinions!

Quote Originally Posted by SmithErick View Post
    I have a question. My roomate and best friend for many years has begun a bad habit. He has not told me yet, but I am a very observant person and seem to be catching on to his habit. If he were to get caught with his substance in the home that is in my name will it count towards me in any way? Will I lose my CCL?

I am in NC by the way and can't find any information on it.

Thanks in advance!
    You may think of him as your friend but, he doesn't feel the same way about. This is evidenced in the fact that he is bringing an illegal substance into YOUR home, and breaking the law further by using it there. He shows no respect for you as a friend or your possesions (Your home) so you need to get past the friendship that seems to have decayed.

Put him out. Cover your own butt because he doesn't care about it.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

W/e I wouldn't make a big deal out of it, it's his business, just tell him to keep the stuff in his room, and do it outside or in the balcony....

Quote Originally Posted by SmithErick View Post
    She is a nurse on the intensive care level of a local hospital and gave him many lectures about patients she sees affected by drugs and invited him to come take a look.
    How many of those people your girlfriend sees affected by drugs at the hospital are there for marijuana? This is what I see as the problem with marijuana being associated with those drugs that actually put people in the hospital. Too many people don't understand the distinction, they just generalize the entire group.

kpw
    I know two people that went through treatment for marijuana dependence. For most people it may be a benign drug but it does affect many others psychologically.
    Regardless of it's effect on people, the impact it can and does make on some and the risk to law enforcement make it anything but a harmless drug.
    Legalize it, restrict it like alcohol and I don't have a problem with it.

Quote Originally Posted by puncho View Post
    You know the answer, you have to live at a higher standard. He's not a good friend if he put you in this situation.
    I agree with Puncho and that's not a good basis for a friendship. No honor in deception!! He's willingly placing you in harms way and not being straight forward with you.
    What else could you trust this friend who could cause a change in the rest of your life with? His activities are more important to him than you as a friend.

The BOOT >>>>>>>>

Quote Originally Posted by kpw View Post
    I know two people that went through treatment for marijuana dependence. For most people it may be a benign drug but it does affect many others psychologically.
    Going through treatment for dependence is different than ending up in the intensive care unit of a hospital. People go through treatment for gambling and sex addiction.

Quote Originally Posted by kpw
    Regardless of it's effect on people, the impact it can and does make on some and the risk to law enforcement make it anything but a harmless drug.
    It is our laws that have made it harmful. The same way Al Capone and his ilk murdered people over alcohol during prohibition. Throw a non violent pot head in jail for a year for possession and he comes out with a new group of friends, mostly thieves, muggers, murderers and rapists. Force him to buy weed from a dealer instead of at a liquor store kind of place, and now he's been exposed to cocaine, heroin, crack, meth, etc.

The real opponents of legalization are the dealers and the cartels that stand to lose billions of dollars if they can't sell it.

Quote Originally Posted by kpw
    Legalize it, restrict it like alcohol and I don't have a problem with it.
    I agree. I do see you have an open mind. Most don't when they think about this kind of stuff. Personally, I just don't think weed is that big of a deal and worth so much effort and expense to keep it illegal. I've known a lot of productive, successful people that have used it at one time or another. Doctors, lawyers, teachers, engineers. Even our last 3 presidents have admitted to drug use.

Distinguished Member Array bandit383's Avatar
    This is a no brainer...there is an element of guilt by association (hummm...ask the New Yorkin about losing his firearms and license because of his grandson). Someone else here also had the same problem you are describing awhile back...you willing to risk it is really the question.

Rick

Distinguished Member Array JerryM's Avatar
    One should always remember that he is not the only one who suffers the consequences. He has parents, siblings, and other friends who will be impacted. As for parents, when the child hurts, the parents hurt also. "No man is an island."

I cannot understand that anyone would put their future in jeopardy for such a cause. I would not do it for friends or kin.

Regards,
    Jerry

Restricted Member Array SelfDefense's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by morintp View Post
    I agree. I do see you have an open mind. Most don't when they think about this kind of stuff. Personally, I just don't think weed is that big of a deal and worth so much effort and expense to keep it illegal. I've known a lot of productive, successful people that have used it at one time or another. Doctors, lawyers, teachers, engineers. Even our last 3 presidents have admitted to drug use.
    I have known people whose lives have been ruined by marijuana. I have seen careers destroyed. I have seen families ruined. Marijuana is hardly the benign drug some think. And yes, once someone goes down this destructive road they do tend to use other drugs.

Yes, many people have experimented with marijuana but most grow up and they understand how detrimental marijuana is to the individual and society. Comparing it to alcohol is disingenuous. Justifying bad behavior by pointing to other bad behavior is a weak argument.

It is also interesting that the 'medical marijuana' sham has any legislative support whatsoever. There is already a pharmeceutical drug that has extracted the active ingredient in marijuana in a pill. The drug addicts don't want the beneficial effects, if any. The potheads simply want to get high. The 'medical' nonsense is simply a smokescreen.

To the original poster, get your friend help and kick him out. Nothing good can come from association with law breakers.

Quote Originally Posted by SelfDefense View Post
    I have known people whose lives have been ruined by marijuana. I have seen careers destroyed. I have seen families ruined. Marijuana is hardly the benign drug some think. And yes, once someone goes down this destructive road they do tend to use other drugs.

Yes, many people have experimented with marijuana but most grow up and they understand how detrimental marijuana is to the individual and society. Comparing it to alcohol is disingenuous. Justifying bad behavior by pointing to other bad behavior is a weak argument.

It is also interesting that the 'medical marijuana' sham has any legislative support whatsoever. There is already a pharmeceutical drug that has extracted the active ingredient in marijuana in a pill. The drug addicts don't want the beneficial effects, if any. The potheads simply want to get high. The 'medical' nonsense is simply a smokescreen.

To the original poster, get your friend help and kick him out. Nothing good can come from association with law breakers.

Weak argument.....Alcohol is a drug and if you don't see the connection your blind!! Marijuana is the largest cash crop in the U.S. the war on drugs is a joke! Legalize it and tax it. That would put 95% of drug dealers out of business and if someone wants to ruin there life let them. I can go buy a fifth of jack right now, drink it,and not remember getting into my car driving down the road.
    Just buy stopping the need to smuggle weed you could crack down on coke and heroine being brought in and meth being cooked.

That's a mighty high horse you ride
    GUN CONTROL= I WANT TO BE THE ONE IN CONTROL OF THE GUN

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

Quote Originally Posted by cdwolf View Post
    Just buy stopping the need to smuggle weed you could crack down on coke and heroine being brought in and meth being cooked.
    How do you figure that?

Do you really think meth heads and heroin addicts will quit those drugs if they could smoke pot legally?

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Links