Marijuana + Roomate = DQ my CCP? (NC)

This is a discussion on Marijuana + Roomate = DQ my CCP? (NC) within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have a question. My roomate and best friend for many years has begun a bad habit. He has not told me yet, but I ...

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

I have a question. My roomate and best friend for many years has begun a bad habit. He has not told me yet, but I am a very observant person and seem to be catching on to his habit. If he were to get caught with his substance in the home that is in my name will it count towards me in any way? Will I lose my CCL?

I am in NC by the way and can't find any information on it.

Thanks in advance!

You know the answer, you have to live at a higher standard. He's not a good friend if he put you in this situation.

My $.02, put his butt out. I have no idea if this would cost you your CCW, but you could possibly go to jail.
    And I will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger those who would attempt to poison and destroy my brothers. And you will know my name is the Lord when I lay my vengeance upon thee.

VIP Member
    You need to tell your "friend" to move out. If he has a controlled substance in your house and you know it, your as guilty as he is. You stand a chance of not only loosing your CCL but also possible jail time.
    To be perfectly honest, if he is putting you in this position, he's no friend. JMO

Thanks for the prompt replies guys!

+1 on those. Had a friend that brought some weed on spring break years ago and stashed it in my truck and a friend's car. I flushed it at a restaurant. It was funny as hell watching him tear thru the vehicles while refusing to disclose what he was looking for. Any person that would put you in a position to confront them about it or have an encounter with LE ain't no friend. Not just your permit at stake, your career as well as other opportunities you may not have considered yet.

Quote Originally Posted by puncho View Post
    You know the answer, you have to live at a higher standard. He's not a good friend if he put you in this situation.
    +1 No better way to put it.

Your friend... needs to find a new place to lay his head at night. Or you might as well give up your CCW. You can't live in the fringe and claim to be a responsible person. Hypocrisy abounds in this country... It leads to trouble in the long run. You can't have it both ways.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

A best friend of many years is a serious thing. See if you can help the guy get off of the stuff, be there for your friend,as you would want someone to be there for you. If your permit matters more than your friends life ,you may want to re-evaluate your priorities in life.

To me it sounds like you may need to "reassess" your friendship.

"Hit The Road Jack" seems to be an appropriate response, to me, on your part. Having knowledge of a crime or criminal activity places you in a precarious legal situation. You have to look out for yourself first, because nobody else will.

Biker

If you live in an obvious roomate type setup, then maybe you can be ok - but it still does not look good, at all.

It's unlikely the weed will ever leave, so chances are you will have to, unfortunately. It just isn't worth it. Regardless of whatever substance it is, the illegality puts you in a bad spot, especially if you ever get in a home defense situation and call the police.

Quote Originally Posted by PNUT View Post
    A best friend of many years is a serious thing. See if you can help the guy get off of the stuff, be there for your friend,as you would want someone to be there for you. If your permit matters more than your friends life ,you may want to re-evaluate your priorities in life.
    +1 First priority should be to help your friend. Flat out saying hit the road to a friend of many years seems very irresponsible to me. Only AFTER trying to help should you consider other options.
    Sig Sauer P229 9mm
    Sig Sauer P238 .380
    Colt XSE 1911 .45

Drugs + gun =Felony,you really want to lose your gun rights
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

good lord the guy isnt making crack in the kitchen, if hes a best friend i see no reason why you should kick him out and stop being friends, i mean really? Tell him that you would appreciate it as a friend, to not bring that stuff into the place and try to stop smoking, and if he cant take it somewhere else. If it looks like its still going to be a problem after that then consider more aggressive steps...

Just my thought.....

Quote Originally Posted by Twiggy View Post
    good lord the guy isnt making crack in the kitchen, if hes a best friend i see no reason why you should kick him out and stop being friends, i mean really? Tell him that you would appreciate it as a friend, to not bring that stuff into the place and try to stop smoking, and if he cant take it somewhere else. If it looks like its still going to be a problem after that then consider more aggressive steps...

Just my thought.....
    IT'S JUST WEED MAN!

If you knew how many times I have heard that, and the effects of weed on society as a whole, you wouldn't be taking the position you are on this matter, IMO.

Seeing and dealing with people that are transporting the stuff "across the line" on a daily basis gives me a very low tolerance for any illegal drug activity. I understand that some people can be "recreational" users of the drug, and I've even tried it myself a few times, but as I see more and more of what it does to our society I become more and more opposed to it.

Are you, the OP, willing to risk a possible felony charge for "friendship"?

That's it, in a nutshell.

Biker

Well i've never tried it and dont have any friends that do it. But i still stand by what i said, it just seems dumb that people wouldnt want to try and get the friend to stop, then if it doesnt happen, drop him. I think of this by just thinking about my best friends, most ive known for 15 years, most my life. I wouldnt tell them to get lost if i found out they smoked a joint. If it could in some way impact my life then i would simply ask them to not bring it around me.

*while ill agree people who are around it as a job or anything of that sort see it in a different way. My sister, a city prevention counselor, works with kids that are caught up in it everyday, she would prob freak out and act the same as most people here are, but im not her...

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Links