Defensive Carry banner

Probably not a good idea

3K views 32 replies 29 participants last post by  VTXDM40 
#1 ·
So I went to a local indoor range here yesterday to do my monthly practice and the proceedure here is to sign your name on the waiting list for a lane on the range. Luckily the lanes were not all in use. I was there with just enough time before the shop closed to shoot my half hour.
So I sign in, see that there are lanes open and am waiting for someone to wait on me, so I can pay for my lane.

I happen to notice that the top name on the sign up sheet is a person I know. He is a salesman that calls on the company I work for. I have known him for 10 or more years, and see him maybe every two months. I have also seen him around town, out to dinner and such. I never knew he wa a gun guy. I don't know if he has a CCW, or just shoots pistol. The thing is, all of a sudden it dawned on me, now my name is also on this sheet for everyone off the street to see.

So what would you all do, sign your name, or make up a name to use on the sign up sheet. I don't think the gun shop cares who you are, they just need some way to call the next person when a lane becomes available.

I can see it now, Mel Gibson and Harrison Ford are shooting now and Bruce Willis is on deck!:smile:

See less See more
#3 ·
Do you have a problem with anyone off the street knowing you shoot? Do you think it makes you more vulnerable to an attack? I guess I don't understand the problem, they don't know you carry from this sign up sheet.

#5 ·
I knew a guy in college who was listed in the phone book as W.C. Fields. His reasoning was they would list any name given, so why use your own? I always disliked giving my name in a restaurant only to hear them yell it out ten minutes later. I give them Smith or Jones. Your name is a place holder in the range line list. All they really want is your credit card!!!

#6 ·
I'm with Sixto. I have a unique last name, and got tired of trying to spell it out for those perky teen queens in their prom dresses who greet you at fancy restaurants. Now I just use what my wife calls my "spy name".

It's easy to spell and pronouce - like "Cher".

I use it at restaurants, waiting lines at the range, the barber shop, and those silly lunch counters and coffe shops that feel the need to call out your name. Pick a fun one - have fun with it.

Even my kids now know what name to request if we have restuarant reservations or the like.

#7 ·
Its not necessarily a bad idea to be careful. When I dont want anybody knowing who I am, I use my middle and my GF last name.

#9 ·
Hiding your identity

I guess I don't really get the logic behind going out of my way to make sure no one knows that I carry. I am very discreet about concealed carry and have never been made, but if I were I wouldn't lose any sleep over it. I'm not doing anything illegal and I am exercising my second ammendment right. Maybe I'm not seeing something that I should. If anyone would like to set me straight, I'm always open to learning something new.

#12 ·
E. Holder?

I would sign in with the name a a well known anti-RKBA idiot.

Maybe E. Holder.

:danceban:

#13 ·
I guess I'm missing the point. To me it's kind of absurd to think that someone will come in off the street, jot your name down, and track you down because you have a gun. To me, that's what was implied.

There is the scenario where someone comes as a guest and sees your name on the list. Again, my attitude is who cares? They're obviously not gun-shy if they're there with someone to shoot, and because you sign in at a public range doesn't mean you carry. It means you shoot guns.

Am I out of line to think this is overly cautious?

#19 ·
I guess I'm missing the point. To me it's kind of absurd to think that someone will come in off the street, jot your name down, and track you down because you have a gun. To me, that's what was implied.
Although it my be what you inferred, that's not what I implied.

BTW -- I know that I am old fashion and that this mis-use is sadly so common that some dictionaries now give imply as one of the definitions of infer (and vis versa) without comment or correction. But each word has its own job to do, one at the giving end and the other at the receiving (What do you imply by that remark? What am I to infer from that remark?)

Be that as it may, I implied nothing of the sort. I seldom give my name for waiting list -- restaurants or what ever (unless important as a need to know, such as the Doctor's receptionist to pull the correct records). And no, I don't expect that someone will come in off the street, jot my name down at the local Cracker Barrel , and track me down because I might have have a doggy bag of left-overs. To me, that's analogous to what I inferred from the above.

I just don't like hearing my name on loud speakers.

There is the scenario where someone comes as a guest and sees your name on the list. Again, my attitude is who cares? They're obviously not gun-shy if they're there with someone to shoot, and because you sign in at a public range doesn't mean you carry. It means you shoot guns.

Am I out of line to think this is overly cautious?

OTOH -- See the thread http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulletin/concealed-carry-issues-discussions/71293-sheep-grrrr.html.

Had his :sheep: friend not gone to the range w/ him, but seen his name there the same sort of "discovery" might have resulted in the same issue for him.

True, his friend might have just seen him there some day -- but why broadcast more that you need to, assuming that that is a consideration for you, because of work situation, social life, etc.

To me, personally, it is no big deal. Were it, I'd not be writing LTE, politicians, OC at political meetings, etc.

As always, YMMV.

#15 ·
The gun range I go to gets your real name, holds your state ID till you are done.
Only the employees see this.

I like the idea of using an "alias" for some stuff, but one question on the cc application is that you list all aliases you have used. Somehow I think listing an alias would raise some flags and slow the process.

#16 ·
The public range I used to go to required you sign a liability waiver. I had no problem using my real name. Some one off the street seeing it only knew I shot there. They had no way of knowing if I had my own gun, or was using a rental gun. I just don't see a problem.

#17 ·
I have a friend who's last name is Reefer. We call him "weed" as a joke. It is funny though when "The reefer party" gets called at the olive garden. :)

I think in Sixto's case with him being involved in under cover work an alias is a smart thing. The rest of you are just being (for the most part) silly.

#20 ·
Dave H. said:
BTW -- I know that I am old fashion
Okay, as long as we're doing the word correction thing.... that wold be old fashioned. :biggrin:

As to the name thing, I'd consider using some alias if I were in this situation. I've never been in that situation though, I try to time it so the range is not packed when I arrive. And AFAIK, they don't shout out names at the ranges I go to, and definitely don't post them on a board for the world to read.

#21 ·
Okay, as long as we're doing the word correction thing.... that wold be old fashioned.

"wold" ??? :biggrin: :biggrin:

Good catch on old-fashion :redface:

However, FYI --

Kenneth G. Wilson (1923–). The Columbia Guide to Standard American English. 1993.

old-fashion, old-fashioned (adj.)

Old-fashioned is the conventionally formed participial adjective, and old-fashion is a variant, made (according to the Oxford English Dictionary) of the noun fashion rather than the verb and now obsolete. Old-fashion has reappeared, however, and is criticized in much the same way and for the same reason that ice cream once was and handicap parking is now.
So, maybe I'm old-fashioned (verb form) enough to use old-fashion (noun form) :biggrin:

Given the fact that I am very bad at proofing something I have written until after I have let it be for a few hours, I shouldn't throw stones in an medium of instant posting -- glass houses and all that. :embarassed:

However, these two are just below modified "unique" (e.g., very unique) on my screeching chalk list.

#23 ·
Going back to what I said earlier, what difference does it make if someone reads your name on a waiting list at the range? What is it exactly that everyone is afraid is going to happen? Do you think that someone will track you down and come after you because you carry? I am still confused as to what the concern is.

#24 ·
I am sorry to have to enter my reality float in the paranoia parade, but you want your name on that sheet, often. On the off-chance that you ever have to use your firearm in self-defense, and in that circumstance a bystander is struck, there is a good chance you will be defending yourself from some form of reckless endangerment suit. One thing they will call into question is your proficiency with your firearm. If you cannot show that you are proficient then your recklessness will be given more credence. You were just one of those nuts who carried a gun but never took the time to learn to shoot it. Those records from the gun range with your name on them are your evidence of being a responsible shooter who attained and maintained their shooting proficiency. I don't have to tell you what your attorney would say when you answered his question about maintaining proficiency under they name "Smithen Wesson". That would just make you look worse than never training at all. Besides, if you are that worried you would never go to a range. People could photograph you or follow you home and know you were a gun owner. Then they could rob your home while you were at the range or ambush you. Concealed means concealed, just because your name is on a range sheet doesn't mark you as a concealed carrier. Use your head on this one and get on the sign-in sheet.

#26 ·
I am not afraid of writing my name. I belong to a responsible gun club that does a lot of good work. I trust my colleagues. Nothing illegal is happening.

I am, however, very discrete about carrying. I don't walk onto the range and draw my loaded pistol and start firing. I follow range rules about unloaded/action open for my safety and those around me.

One of the nice things about carry permits here in Washington State is that they are easy to get and they eliminate the pistol 5 day waiting period. Almost everyone who owns a gun has one...

#27 ·
Gats Gunnison.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.