I don't understand this... - Page 2

I don't understand this...

This is a discussion on I don't understand this... within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by KralBlbec That actually made me think of something. I had never really considered before that even after school hours that elementary playgrounds ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: I don't understand this...

me
    Quote Originally Posted by KralBlbec View Post
    That actually made me think of something. I had never really considered before that even after school hours that elementary playgrounds are off limits. I wonder what the likely out come would be if you are caught carrying at night or in the summer on school grounds.
    same as during the school day
    Mark

"The world is filled with violence. Because criminals carry guns, we decent law-abiding citizens should also have guns. Otherwise they will win and the decent people will lose."

-James Earl Jones

My wife and I never have that issue. The only thing with her is....if i'm carrying, she usually won't. She carries in the car all the time, but not often on her person. I'm angling to change that.

Favorites: "If you can read this, thank a teacher. If you can read this in English, thank a soldier."
    Admiral Gary Roughead, CNO: "I never, ever, want to see my sailors or Marines in a fair fight."

Distinguished Member Array Pro2A's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by KralBlbec View Post
    That actually made me think of something. I had never really considered before that even after school hours that elementary playgrounds are off limits. I wonder what the likely out come would be if you are caught carrying at night or in the summer on school grounds.
    Ya I'm pretty sure the law applies to the entire school grounds at all times. I wouldn't test the water on that one. I would get in touch with a firearms attorney for clarification.

Distinguished Member Array Squawker's Avatar
    There really aren't very many places that we would go where I couldn't carry, the post office being the most common, and then I just leave it secured in the car. We don't have kids, so we won't be going to a school. And neither of us are in college. I went back in my mid 30s, and graduated 21 years ago. In Las Vegas, we can carry into restaurants, and while I wouldn't we can legally drink carrying (as long as you're under the 1.0 limit). Regardless, she and I get along well with my carrying. She knows that it is as much for her as it is me.

Quote Originally Posted by Pro2A View Post
    Ya I'm pretty sure the law applies to the entire school grounds at all times. I wouldn't test the water on that one. I would get in touch with a firearms attorney for clarification.
    Thats my assumption too, but I dont really go to schools often enough to care. To me it is even stupider than normal gun free zones because it is unpopulated outside of school hours.

It still takes my wife a second or two ti figure out why I tell her I can't/won't go somewhere but it's getting less frequent. At first she didn't get it and asked why but now she just rolls with it.
    Thanks,
    Rock

There are so very few places here in CO that we can't carry, it almost never comes up, but it has, and it's understood. My wife likes that I always carry.
    The only times it ever came up was when in transit to someplace, our destination changed, or I was asked to make a detour (to post office).
    I'd either have to stop and lock up the gun, or just stay in the car while she went in.
    (Here in CO, I can go onto public school property if I have a CCP, and the gun is locked up in the car, not on my person.)

As for your wife, it can take some time before she gets used to the idea, but it looks like she is getting there.

Carry on!
    It’s so much easier now days, to "Love and honor" my wife, when she is armed, and shoots a better group than I do. (Till death do us part, eh?)

“The way you get shot by a concealed weapons permit holder is, you point a gun at him,” the Sheriff said.

Senior Member Array Freedom Doc's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Pro2A View Post
    Ok guys, how many of you have had this problem?

My wife and I were deciding to go somewhere today with the kids. It's going to be in the lower 70's today, so we were going to make the best of the weather and head to the park or something. I made the suggestion to go to the city park on the other side of town.

She looks at me and says, well we can just go to the elementary school park right up the street... to which I look at her with the look...

When she suddenly realizes why that won't happen. I've had other instances where she suggests going to dinner in Hagerstown down in Maryland... again I give her the look. Unless I have to go somewhere, I tend to avoid gun free zones.

She has her LTCF... but RARELY carries, so she doesn't think that way.

Do you have similar interactions with your significant other?
    Yes, often enough. My wife is basically a sheep, although she really isn't against guns and understands why one might need one, but as for her it just isn't something she worries about. She has even expressed the idea that "if it is your time to go, it just is". Well maybe so, but I just don't square with the idea that some scumbag can decide it is my time to go and I can't do anything about it, or act to protect my family.

Anyway, she often expresses a desire to go to gun-free places (not BECAUSE they are gun-free, just wants to go) and since I am one who carries pretty much 24-7 out of pure habit, and feel naked without it -- that's just a problem. I will usually tell her forget it, I'm not going there. At which point I get the usual anti-drivel about how I'm paranoid, nothing is going to happen, yada-yada. I'm sure you all know what I'm talking about.
    Anti-gunners seem to believe that if we just pass enough laws, we can have utopia. Unfortunately, utopia is NOT one of our choices.

Nope, don't have those conversations, since a school park would not be prohibitited in Texas, and there aren't any surrounding states that we go to that don't allow me to carry.

Sorry that you have those things to deal with.
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

Quote Originally Posted by farronwolf View Post
    a school park would not be prohibitited in Texas,
    Run that by me once more, please. In Texas, you can carry in a school park or playground -- when it's not during school hours?
    "I pledge allegiance to the war banner of the united states of Totalitaria. And to the Republic, which no longer stands, several bankers, who are now god, indivisible, with Bernanke bucks and credit for all."

She looks at me and says, well we can just go to the elementary school park right up the street... to which I look at her with the look...
    I would tell her well we could but I would have to break out my Binoculars and 308 and then scout out a position where I could maintain overwatch from a tactical position that should the need arise I could surgically stop any threat
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Quote Originally Posted by gilraen View Post
    Run that by me once more, please. In Texas, you can carry in a school park or playground -- when it's not during school hours?
    I don't think it matters whether school is in or not the law is specific on school property,exemption is parking lot
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Distinguished Member Array AutoFan's Avatar
    Since there are places I can't legally (or practically) carry, I carry as close to our destination as I can, then secure the weapon. And no, I don't give my wife grief about it, as I occasionally like to go out to a bar, listen to music and have a drink. Or go to the beach.

Quote Originally Posted by gilraen View Post
    In Texas it doesn't matter if it is school hours or not. School premises do not begin until you actually go inside one of the doors. That, of course, would change if they were having a sporting event or something like that at the park.

About the only problems I have is when my wife wants me to go to her classroom to help her move stuff after hours. It always seems so silly having to unholster just to go inside to her classroom.
    There are two sides to every issue: one side is right and the other is wrong, but the middle is always evil.

http://miscmusings.townhall.com/

Who is John Galt?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links