Leaving it at home.........

This is a discussion on Leaving it at home......... within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I often read posts by folks that proclaim they will never, ever, ever, go anywhere if they can't carry there. That statement is easy to ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Leaving it at home.........

I often read posts by folks that proclaim they will never, ever, ever, go anywhere if they can't carry there. That statement is easy to make on the internet but I could see a few situations where this could be considered "a little over the top" and not well received by other family members. Examples:

1) You are on vacation, wife and kids have never been to Disneyland and you have an opportunity to take them but can't carry.
    2) Kid or Grandkid has the leading role in a school play and you know it would break their heart if you didn't show up, can't carry there.
    3) Brother/sister is in hospital but you can't carry there.
    4) Siblings are taking mom and dad out to a nice eatery where they serve booze to celebrate their 50th anniversary...can't carry.
    5) Daughter and grandkids live in California, wife wants to visit, can't carry there. etc.etc.

I guess my point is..... life is full of risks and one must measure the risk against the reward. I could never blow off my kids play over my inability to go armed.

Your thoughts/comments................................

Distinguished Member
    While I am much more content going armed, and if all possible I choose places that will allow it, but I don't allow a BG to dictate my life. I have not been unarmed sense receiving my CCW. I always have some sort of knife with me at a minimum.

One of my knifes is a small CKRT that is also a money clip, when I go to the courthouse I have to empty my pockets out. They keep the bigger knife, but for some reason they always give me the CKRT back

We carry to live, but don't give up life if you can't carry somewhere. Most members here have far better SA, and have a cool head, and the ability to think their way out of situations that sheep will just lay down and give up.

Z
    An ounce of lead is worth 200lbs of cop.

Distinguished Member Array bandit383's Avatar
    Over-the-top?...if it is against the law (e.g., schools), it is a no-brainer. All others a personal choice and have carried in all other scenarios you present.

Rick

VIP Member
    It will depend where you live.

In Florida although DisneyWorld is posted as gun free zone, the prohibition carries no legal weight and I know plenty folks who carried while visiting the parks. Same thing for hospitals and schools are obviously out. You can carry in Restaurants in Florida as long as you don't sit/linger in the bar area and you can have drinks but if you are intoxicated, it is your own skin.

I am one of those freaks that plan vacations and trips around where I can and cannot carry. So far I have not had to make a hard choice of traveling to a gun free zone state or visit a hard gun free zone place.
    You have to make the shot when fire is smoking, people are screaming, dogs are barking, kids are crying and sirens are coming.
    Randy Cain.

Ego will kill you. Leave it at home.
    Signed: Me!

I don't carry in my state's off limits locations or at work. Everywhere else...I carry no matter what. I'm not over the top.....just maybe living on the edge. If you're not living on the edge, you're just taking up space.

VIP Member
    Sometimes we may not like having to go unarmed, but for most of us, there are going to be times when it just can't be helped. I live close to Illinois and unfortunately I have 3 sibblings that live just inside the Republic of Illinois. Even tho I know I can't carry there, I take a revolver so it's easy to unload ( and load ) and as I'm crossing the river I unload it. I don't allow Illinois to take away my rights for one minute longer than it can. I also spend no money in that state.
    In Ky I can carry in hospitals even if posted. When my child was in school we were both very active in school functions so I had to disarm alot. But I'd carry there and leave it in the car. As far as a vacation. I'd try my best to go somewhere that I could carry. I've been to Chicago, but will not go back since I started carrying.
    Its all going to depend on the state you live in or the state you are going to as to how often you have to disarm. I for one think you should never have to disarm but family comes first and if I have to disarm, tho I dont like it, I'll do it.
    I doubt there is anyone here that would not disarm to support their child at a school function. If there is, they need to check their prorities.
    Prepare for the worst and hope it never happens

Quote Originally Posted by SleepingZ View Post
    We carry to live, but don't give up life if you can't carry somewhere. Most members here have far better SA, and have a cool head, and the ability to think their way out of situations that sheep will just lay down and give up.
    +1 Just because you can't carry, you can still maintain condition yellow and keep your head about you.

I can understand not wanting to go without carrying, but I still enjoy going to my younger brothers school plays.
    "The price of freedom is eternal vigilance." ~Thomas Jefferson~

"...Be not ye afraid of them: remember the LORD, which is great and terrible, and fight for your brethren, your sons, and your daughters, your wives, and your houses." ~Nehemiah 4:14~

As bandit stated, if it's aginst the law, then there's no question. I leave my house plenty of times unarmed just because I know I'll be somewhere where guns are an absolute no-no.....usually when at work, going on base for something, going somewhere where drinking will be involved, etc., etc. No breaking of any laws. Period.

Otherwise I'm armed. Period.

I wouldn't ever miss a school play, not visit someone in the hospital, or go out of state (where illegal) just because I couldn't carry.
    Now Disney..........well, it's posted, but not illegal, and I had fun there with the kids, and didn't go unarmed either. (Orlando, not California)
    "Just getting a concealed carry permit means you haven't commited a crime yet. CCP holders commit crimes." Daniel Vice, senior attorney for the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, quoted on Fox & Friends, 8 Jul, 2008

(Sometimes) "a fight avioded is a fight won." ... claude clay

And the minute the CCP comes in the mail...we immediately strap on the heat and go somewhere dangerous!

Quote Originally Posted by Rotorblade View Post
    I often read posts by folks that proclaim they will never, ever, ever, go anywhere if they can't carry there. That statement is easy to make on the internet but I could see a few situations where this could be considered "a little over the top" and not well received by other family members. Examples:

1) You are on vacation, wife and kids have never been to Disneyland and you have an opportunity to take them but can't carry.
    2) Kid or Grandkid has the leading role in a school play and you know it would break their heart if you didn't show up, can't carry there.
    3) Brother/sister is in hospital but you can't carry there.
    4) Siblings are taking mom and dad out to a nice eatery where they serve booze to celebrate their 50th anniversary...can't carry.
    5) Daughter and grandkids live in California, wife wants to visit, can't carry there. etc.etc.

I guess my point is..... life is full of risks and one must measure the risk against the reward. I could never blow off my kids play over my inability to go armed.

Your thoughts/comments................................
    I agree with you 100%.
    NRA Endowment Member
    GOA Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by Ram Rod View Post
    I don't carry in my state's off limits locations or at work. Everywhere else...I carry no matter what. I'm not over the top.....just maybe living on the edge. If you're not living on the edge, you're just taking up space.
    A new sig line! Thanks that was excellent!
    My Music: www.reverbnation.com/dickiefredericks
    New tunes added.
    "The Double Tap Center Mass Boogie. Learn it, know it, love it, shoot it. Good guys should live, bad guys not so much. " - Ted Nugent 09

We all make choices. Some right and some perhaps not so right. The idea is that we are willing to accept, and live with the consequences of those choices. Read into that what you want. The statement is purposely nebulous.
    "Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups"

The statement was made that in Florida you can have alcohol in a restaurant. That is correct if you are not in the bar. Sitting in or not lingering in the bar area of the resturant is incorrect. To the best of my knowledge you can't even walk through the bar or even enter the bar. Just the act alone is considered a violation of the concealed carry laws. Of course accidents happen and you could make a wrong turn. Problem is the law does't allow for mistakes.

We are never unarmed. We may not be carring but we have alternate weapons the most important is on your shoulders. We can even use weapons of opportunity.Newspapers, magazines, sticks, teeth, etc you get the idea. Defense is a mindset.

Semper Fi

Distinguished Member Array Rcher's Avatar
    If its legal, I carry. I dont go to Commiefornia at all. I stay away from places that do not respect 2A rights. I'm not saying this because it's the internet, I live my life this way.
    "Government is not the solution to our problem; government IS the problem". - Ronald Reagan 1981

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links