Traveling through Maryland

This is a discussion on Traveling through Maryland within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; What is the reccommended way to transport your firearm across the state in an automobile? Is it acceptable to just have it unloaded and seperated ...

Thread: Traveling through Maryland

Traveling through Maryland

What is the reccommended way to transport your firearm across the state in an automobile? Is it acceptable to just have it unloaded and seperated (ammo from gun), or are there other requirements? We often visit relatives in Nothern VA, and we're from PA.

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array Pro2A's Avatar
    Ya basically... just make sure the gun and ammo are separate, locked in two separate cases in the trunk. If stopped there is no need to inform the officer. If asked, just say you have nothing illegal in the vehicle.

VIP Member
    Yes you can transport through the state as long as you follow the law. From the Maryland State Police website:

Q. Can I legally transport firearms interstate?
    A. Yes, under Title 18, Section 926A, of the United States Code, a person
    who is not prohibited from possessing, transporting, shipping, or receiving
    a firearm shall be entitled to transport a firearm for any lawful purpose
    from any place where he may lawfully possess and carry such firearm to
    any place where he may lawfully possess and carry such firearm if, during
    such transportation the firearm is unloaded, neither the firearm nor any
    ammunition being transported is readily accessible or is directly accessible
    from the passenger compartment. In the case the vehicle does not have a
    compartment separate from the driver's compartment the firearm or
    ammunition shall be contained in a locked compartment other than the
    glove compartment or console.

One member has provided the written law. Follow it! My son lives in western Maryland and when I visit I have to take extra precautions because of their laws. My son says they take it seriously.
    JimH
    Kentucky
    S&W 442, Bersa 380, S&W 9mm M&P, Springfield XD40c
    Member: NRA, USCCA

Lead Moderator
    Just a small addition to what has been said. Maryland also has in Maryland law specific places where you are "allowed" to stop including home, gun shop, and range. If you can, and just to be on the safe side, try and plan your trip so you don't have to stop in Maryland..... Just drive through.
    Rick

EOD - Initial success or total failure

VIP Member
    When I drive thru MD I often see the cops ripping peoples cars apart on the side of the interstate. Two or three cop cars, I see it nearly everytime. Do the speed limit and if I remember right they drive unmarked cars.

Lead Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by ccman View Post
    When I drive thru MD I often see the cops ripping peoples cars apart on the side of the interstate. Two or three cop cars, I see it nearly everytime. Do the speed limit and if I remember right they drive unmarked cars.
    You bet they do, and they use some really unexpected types including SUVs and pickups.
    Rick

EOD - Initial success or total failure

Quote Originally Posted by domalex913 View Post
    What is the reccommended way to transport your firearm across the state in an automobile? Is it acceptable to just have it unloaded and seperated (ammo from gun), or are there other requirements?
    I also thought I read that not only must the gun be unloaded and ammo stored separately, but that all magazines must be empty, so as not to be "readily accessible."

yes, obey the traffic laws in MD, the states atorney and the state troopers do not agree on the law pertaining to transporting firearms. So the troopers feel free to arrest and let the court system sort it out (the need someone with deeper pockets to sue them before they change), so always stransport the ammunition seperate from the firearm, magazines must be unloaded as the police concider that to be a loaded firearm even though the states attorney says it has no legal standing. People have had their cars searched because there was an empty holster sitting in view, so keep everything locked up and out of sight.
    "An armed society is a polite society" - Robert A. Heinlein

Distinguished Member Array kazzaerexys's Avatar
    There is nothing explicit in Maryland law about loaded magazines, but most people take it as good advice to leave mags unloaded.

Actually, there is no requirement for either gun or magazines to be in locked cases, either—the actual requirement is for the gun to be unloaded and in an enclosed case (range bag works), and the police recommendation is to keep it in the trunk, separate from its ammunition. If in a vehicle without a trunk (like a pickup), then the gun needs to be in a locked case and in a place not easily accessible to the vehicle occupants.

I have two Center-of-Mass lockboxes. When I am leaving the state for some place where I am allowed to carry, I tend to put my gun in one lockbox and the loaded mags in another so I can quickly load up when I get across the state line. I figure as long as I want to have loaded magazines, this is about the safest (i.e., most lawyer-proof) way of doing it.

Here's the statute:
    * Michie's Legal Resources

The relevant text:
    § 4-203. Wearing, carrying, or transporting handgun.

(b) Exceptions.- This section does not prohibit:

(3) the carrying of a handgun on the person or in a vehicle while the person is transporting the handgun to or from the place of legal purchase or sale, or to or from a bona fide repair shop, or between bona fide residences of the person, or between the bona fide residence and place of business of the person, if the business is operated and owned substantially by the person if each handgun is unloaded and carried in an enclosed case or an enclosed holster; [...]
    Keep in mind, the MD law covers where a person is allowed to transport a gun within Maryland; since you are going across state lines, you are covered by the Firearm Owners Protection Act (FOPA), which is Federal law, but you are still limited to the mode of transportation defined by the state, which in this case is the part about the gun being "unloaded and carried in an enclosed case or an enclosed holster."
    “What is a moderate interpretation of [the Constitution]? Halfway between what it says and [...] what you want it to say?” —Justice Antonin Scalia

SIG: P220R SS Elite SAO, P220R SAO, P220R Carry, P226R Navy, P226, P239/.40S&W, P2022/.40S&W; GSR 5", P6.

Links