Church shooting in Illinois (merged) - Page 2

Church shooting in Illinois (merged)

This is a discussion on Church shooting in Illinois (merged) within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I agree, if it was an illegal sized knife or heck even illegal to have the knife in a church, they could be protecting the ...

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Church shooting in Illinois (merged)

I agree, if it was an illegal sized knife or heck even illegal to have the knife in a church, they could be protecting the citizen who stabbed the shooter.

"They" being witnesses

Distinguished Member Array Bob The Great's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeGoob View Post
    I agree, if it was an illegal sized knife or heck even illegal to have the knife in a church, they could be protecting the citizen who stabbed the shooter.

"They" being witnesses
    That's an interesting take. I'm going to try to hold off on any conclusions until more info comes out.
    "A well-educated electorate, being necessary to the continuance of a free state, the right of the people to keep and read books shall not be infringed."
    Is this hard to understand? Then why does it get unintelligible to some people when 5 little words are changed?

Okay, I'm confused. FNC is reporting that his gun jammed and he inflicted injuries upon himself with a knife. Seem like tap, rack, bang to the temple would be quicker...
    I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on Earth.--Steve McQueen

Distinguished Member Array Bob The Great's Avatar
    Well, I could see someone disturbed enough to walk into a church and shoot the pator behaving irrationally with respect to his method of suicide. That's not too much of a stretch, if his gun jammed.

I'm curious who the other people transported to the hospital were, though. 1 Pastor, 1 gunman, 2 parishioners, and "5 other people". What for, if he only got one shot off before the jam?

Timmins told the Post-Dispatch the gunman slashed two parishioners when they tried to subdue him.

The suspect is in police custody.

Winters was shot three times, police said. He died at Anderson Hospital, a spokeswoman told the St. Louis Post-Dispatch.

Five other people were taken to local hospitals.
    "A well-educated electorate, being necessary to the continuance of a free state, the right of the people to keep and read books shall not be infringed."
    Is this hard to understand? Then why does it get unintelligible to some people when 5 little words are changed?

I just told my Wife about this. She asked how someone could get on stage to do that without being noticed. I said it is simple, it only takes a few seconds to draw and fire, and if it is still cold up there he could have a coat on and be in the front row. Also people don't think it could/would happen to them.

I then added that IL is very unfriendly to the 2A.

Prayers go out to the family of the Pastor and the family of Christ, this is not good and it is happening more and more. And thanks to those who rushed him, even in the face of personal harm.
    "Don't hit a man if you can possibly avoid it; but if you do hit him, put him to sleep." - Theodore Roosevelt

-Paco
    http://www.shieldsd.net

Knives in Illinois are legislated to death as is everything else. I carry a Cold Steel Tanto with a 4" blade but make sure it's, at the minimum, partially visible and I'm not really sure that's sufficient.

Preachers visit inmates, and when these people are released they sometimes show up looking for 'a little help' and they don't like to hear the word 'no'.

Then some of the ladies have kids who are hoodlums, they get dragged in sometimes. Or their ex husband knows knows they go to church faithfully so they show up.

Our church has had (off and on) three registered sex offenders as members, one of whom is presently in jail, the other one has charges pending against him, the third left the state.

Every Sunday morning, we have a pile of money just laying around. Between the collection time and the deposit it would be the easiest hit ever.

I carry at church, as I do everywhere else.

Distinguished Member Array nutz4utwo's Avatar
    You can't stop insane people from doing insane things...

Everyone take note of how well the lack of any Illinois concealed carry permit stopped this guy from bringing a gun into a church.

VIP Member
    Prayers sent for the minister's family, friends, and parishioners.
    If the public are bound to yield obedience to laws to which they cannot give their approbation, they are slaves to those who make such laws and enforce them.--Samuel Adams as Candidus, Boston Gazette 20 Jan. 1772

Veteran--USA FA
    NRA Benefactor Life
    Tennessee Firearms Association Life

VIP Member
    Prayers go out to the families and all involved.

As to the conflicting reports. Each media source wants to "top" the other. They're not going to let a little thing like facts get in the way of doing that!

RIP brother :(

I just found out that the pastor who was killed this morning was the son-in-law of a neighbor of mine who is a retired pastor. Please continue to pray for this family as well as the church family.

Not to be cynical, but I also wouldn't discard that the minister may have been playing around with the gunman's wife either.

You just never know. Will be interesting to see how the story develops.

Regardless, sincere prayers for the deceased minister, all who were injured and emotionally traumatized.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Quote Originally Posted by Bark'n View Post
    Not to be cynical, but I also wouldn't discard that the minister may have been playing around with the gunman's wife either.
    If you were attempting to not be cynical, you failed.

I hate to say it but maybe bibles should come with Kevlar covers,You almost cannot prevent this from happening without searching everyone.But If there would of been some armed GG's he may not of got off as many shots if any depending on level of practice from GG's
    There is nothing to even indicate that,I would lean more towards an abusive husband that the pastor had counseled his wife to get help from the abuse before anything
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Links