Church shooting in Illinois (merged)

This is a discussion on Church shooting in Illinois (merged) within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Fox 2 St. Louis is reporting a shooting @ a 1st Baptist Church in Maryville, Illinois. Breaking news with few details. Edit : Newest unconfirmed ...

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Church shooting in Illinois (merged)

Church shooting in Illinois (merged)

Fox 2 St. Louis is reporting a shooting @ a 1st Baptist Church in Maryville, Illinois. Breaking news with few details.

Edit : Newest unconfirmed report says that Pastor was shot, no condition available. Up to 6 injured people, gunman was captured by members of congregation.

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array Bob The Great's Avatar
    Latest details say the parishioners rushed the gunman, and one of them stabbed him. The pastor and 4 parishioners were shot before they got him.

And people wonder why I'm uncomfortable going to church unarmed.

Another link: http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/29582081/
    "A well-educated electorate, being necessary to the continuance of a free state, the right of the people to keep and read books shall not be infringed."
    Is this hard to understand? Then why does it get unintelligible to some people when 5 little words are changed?

Fox is reporting that the Senior Pastor, Fred Winters, was killed by a gunman who was unknown to at least some of the parishioners.

This hits too close to home.

Prayers for this man's family and his church family.
    He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose. - Jim Elliott

The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it.
    Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by Bob The Great View Post
    The pastor and 4 parishioners were shot before they got him.
    Another link: Report: Pastor killed in Ill. church shooting - Crime & courts- msnbc.com
    Latest report says that the Pastor has died. Prayers for these church members are needed.

MSNBC is now reporting that the gunman stabbed himself after being tackled. Fox still has that he was stabbed by a parishioner.

This whole congregation needs our prayers, especially the pastor's family.
    "A well-educated electorate, being necessary to the continuance of a free state, the right of the people to keep and read books shall not be infringed."
    Is this hard to understand? Then why does it get unintelligible to some people when 5 little words are changed?

How sad, prayers go out for the pastors family and the wounded.
    No place is safe, rushing a gunman takes some doing. Wonder if it was during a reload or malfunction?
    Sure glad we can carry in church in Mass.
    While people are saying "Peace and safety," destruction will come on them suddenly, ... and they will not escape. 1Th 5:3

Senior Member Array Freedom Doc's Avatar
    I wonder why the discrepancy between the news reports, one of which says the BG stabbed himself and another saying a church member did it. I can understand there would be some confusion here; what I HATE is news media types altering the facts to fit their agenda (like maybe people should be sheeple and not fight back). Please understand that this makes me suspicious.
    Anti-gunners seem to believe that if we just pass enough laws, we can have utopia. Unfortunately, utopia is NOT one of our choices.

MSNBC is now reporting that the gunman stabbed himself after being tackled. Fox still has that he was stabbed by a parishioner.
    Fox is now reporting that he stabbed himself.

Quote Originally Posted by Freedom Doc View Post
    I wonder why the discrepancy between the news reports, one of which says the BG stabbed himself and another saying a church member did it. I can understand there would be some confusion here; what I HATE is news media types altering the facts to fit their agenda (like maybe people should be sheeple and not fight back). Please understand that this makes me suspicious.
    Well, it is MSNBC claiming the gunman stabbed himself, so I wouldn't be too surprised if it turned out the be the other way around.

Anybody know what Illinois laws are like for carrying a pocketknife? If they're as Draconian about knives as they are guns, I hope the poor guy who did the stabbing (provided it was one of the parishioners) doesn't get strung up for it.

Quote Originally Posted by atm7819 View Post
    Fox is now reporting that he stabbed himself.
    Their online article still says otherwise, as of this post. Are you referring to a broadcast statement?

5 Shot at First Baptist Church in Illinois
    Sunday, March 08, 2009

Print ShareThisA gunman reportedly stepped on stage at First Baptist Church in Maryville, Ill. and opened fire, shooting five people and killing the pastor.

Parishioners charged the gunman, who was reportedly stabbed by one of them. The suspect is in police custody.

Pastor Fred Winters was shot three times, police said. He died at Anderson Hospital, a spokeswoman told the St. Louis Post-Dispatch.

Winters reportedly welcomed the man onto the stage before he started shooting. It was not clear if the two knew each other or if the gunman was a parishioner.

Six people, two in critical condition, were taken to a local hospitals.

The church has an average attendance of more than 1,200 and was officially organized on March 4, 1945, according to their Web site.

[edit]Article was just updated to this.

An Illinois pastor used the Bible he was reading out of to shield himself from bullets being pumped at him from an unknown gunman who opened fire during Sunday services at the First Baptist Church in Maryville, Ill.

Senior Pastor Fred Winters was preaching during the 8 a.m. service when a man entered the church, walked down the isle and started shooting, injuring five people, before being stabbed by a parishioner.

The suspect is in police custody.

Winters was shot three times, police said. He died at Anderson Hospital, a spokeswoman told the St. Louis Post-Dispatch.

Five other people were taken to local hospitals.

The church has an average attendance of more than 1,200 and was officially organized on March 4, 1945, according to their Web site.

Their online article still says otherwise, as of this post. Are you referring to a broadcast statement?
    I am watching the Fox 2 St. Louis news broadcast. They are saying he tried to stab himself, two men from the church grabbed him, they were both injured (not serious) and the gunman was detained until LEA arrived. They are also saying that only the pastor was shot. Earlier they said up to six people were shot.

Senior Member Array Freedom Doc's Avatar
    Well, it is MSNBC claiming the gunman stabbed himself, so I wouldn't be too surprised if it turned out the be the other way around.

Anybody know what Illinois laws are like for carrying a pocketknife? If they're as Draconian about knives as they are guns, I hope the poor guy who did the stabbing (provided it was one of the parishioners) doesn't get strung up for it.
    Looks like its a moot point now that Fox agrees with MSNBC that the shooter stabbed himself; but anyway, IMHO any DA that would try to prosecute for stabbing the BG in this situation would get deluged with email and other negative feedback, and rightly so. I think we pro-gunners should gang up on such DAs when we find them doing this to help our side out.
    Anti-gunners seem to believe that if we just pass enough laws, we can have utopia. Unfortunately, utopia is NOT one of our choices.

Quote Originally Posted by atm7819 View Post
    I am watching the Fox 2 St. Louis news broadcast. They are saying he tried to stab himself, two men from the church grabbed him, they were both injured (not serious) and the gunman was detained until LEA arrived. They are also saying that only the pastor was shot. Earlier they said up to six people were shot.
    Hm, interesting. I'll be keeping an eye out for more details.

Fox news website now says stabbed by parishoner.

URGENT: Unknown man guns down church pastor, shoots 4 others before being stabbed by parishoner
    Sorry, but a gunman stabbing himself doesn't pass the smell test. Anybody want to bet the Chicago....er, Illinois legislature goes after knives now?
    I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on Earth.--Steve McQueen

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Links