Opinions: Should I inform this friend?

This is a discussion on Opinions: Should I inform this friend? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I normally keep the fact that I carry a secret. A few family members know but in general that's it. I engage in a hobby ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Opinions: Should I inform this friend?

I normally keep the fact that I carry a secret. A few family members know but in general that's it. I engage in a hobby that involves towing a trailer containing expensive equipment to events in other cities and sometimes other states. Typically this involves two or three nights stay in a motel nearby. I have a friend that sometimes goes with me to help out and sometimes brings his own equipment. We share the travel expenses like gas and we shack up in one motel room (no jokes please ) The last time he went with me was a couple of years ago before I started to carry. He is going to go with me to a few of these events in the coming months.

So my question . . . Since my friend and I are together pretty much 24/7 during these trips including in the same motel room at night, do I have a responsibility to tell him that I have a gun on me. My initial thought it yes since if the SHTF in the middle of the night and I'm firing my weapon, he would be right in the middle of it. Thoughts?

TOF
    Did he bother to tell you he doesn't carry a gun?
    "Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not." - Thomas Jefferson

Distinguished Member Array Rcher's Avatar
    How good of a friend is he? How much do you trust him to not disclose your secret? Does he have any gun experience?

I understand it's a pain to be sneaky in this situation but it may be a better solution rather than leaving your gun on the nightstand in open sight. I'm not sure I would tell unless you feel you have no choice.
    "Government is not the solution to our problem; government IS the problem". - Ronald Reagan 1981

VIP Member
    I would make small talk about guns and such first, find out his feelings. Maybe he carrys too, and hasn't told you. Put your feelers out and get an idea of how he would react if you do tell him. That way you can make an educated decision.
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants."
    Thomas Jefferson

Distinguished Member Array Diddle's Avatar
    Well, if it were me I would keep it to myself and say nothing.

If the day comes when he says: "Dude! whay are you carring a gun?" simply say for personal protection, change the subject and move on.

Distinguished Member Array Gideon's Avatar
    Once you tell you can't pull back that info. It's the risk as to how he'll take it. If it'll affect your relationship, if he'll ever mention it. So no, I wouldn't mention it because you don't really gain anything by telling. If you just know there's no risk then fine but if there's even one doubt, keep quiet. it'll be inconvenient but it's only a few nights!

I'd tell him. Here's why, what if you are in the shower, he's watching T.V. and someone comes bursting into the room ? You are out of the fight,don't even know what's going on and unable to do anything. Meanwhile, your gun is hidden in a drawer while your friend is killed and you are next. I'd put this guy on the "need to know" list.
    It's the BG's that shouldn't know. I don't understand the need for secrecy where friends are concerned.

It's possible with a bit of planning to manage this without ever telling your friend. No one needs to know you carry.

Senior Member Array SilenceDoGood's Avatar
    It's not a big deal either way. 90% of my friends carry on a regular basis, and all of them shoot, and all of them know I carry. However, when I have been made by friends of friends who were not so open to concealed carry, I just say "oh yea I got my permit a while back," and just keep on being myself.

You can control (to a large extent) people's reactions by controlling your actions. So if you want a positive reaction, just have normal positive actions.
    "A government is like fire, a handy servant, but a dangerous master." -- George Washington

Don't tell him, the least amount of people know the better.
    While people are saying "Peace and safety," destruction will come on them suddenly, ... and they will not escape. 1Th 5:3

+1 I'd tell him. Wouldn't hurt to introduce it through chit-chat though.
    "The price of freedom is eternal vigilance." ~Thomas Jefferson~

"...Be not ye afraid of them: remember the LORD, which is great and terrible, and fight for your brethren, your sons, and your daughters, your wives, and your houses." ~Nehemiah 4:14~

Distinguished Member Array SonofASniper's Avatar
    You have to decide how good of a friend he is. You never know, he might also carry, or he may be open to the idea and want to ask a lot of questions and decide to get his.
    I will support gun control when you can guarantee all guns are removed from this planet. That includes military and law enforcement. When you can accomplish that, then I will be the last person to lay down my gun. Then I will carry the weapon that replaces the gun.

tell no one. my mother does not even know I cc.
    Save a Greyhound. Adopt one.

better that fewer know than a few tell and every one know's:)

You know, I have never understood the "don't tell policy." Who really cares? I mean I don't go telling random people, but my friends!? My friends know that I carry because they are my friends and know a lot about me.

I might even venture to say that it would be more startling for your friend if you don't tell him and he accidently sees it. Then he will wonder why you didn't tell him.

No, I don't know all of your names or anything but you have made it public on the internet that ya'll carry. Are we all on your "need to know" list?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links