Defensive Carry banner

New VA Non-Res CCW Permit holder here.

2K views 23 replies 15 participants last post by  R.E.Lee 
#1 ·
New to this site and started browsing after I sent in my packages for FL and VA last month. Mailed them both out on the same day. VA got theirs on Feb 17. The permit was processed and lamintated on Feb 25 and in my mailbox March 7. I thought I'd be waiting months.

I live in the republic of New Jersey (no ccw), so I can't do a wally world walk. I'd have to drive over to PA. Maybe I can do a Cabela's walk.:danceban:

Still waiting on FL...:tumbleweed:

#3 ·
Welcome and congrats. They laminated your VA permit? I think I got cheated, I had to laminate my own. Good luck own FL.

#4 ·
Maybe VA is moving out of the stone age. My resident license is nothing more than a business card. VA has gone to a new laser printed license now, so hopefully they will also use the same process for CHL's. Welcome aboard.

#6 ·
Thanks, all.

Took a closer look at the card. It looks like one of those DIY business cards where you print out a full 8.5x11 page, then tear it apart along the fine perforations to the size of a business card.

Looks like the lamination is mainly to get the photo onto the card. The photo that I sent in wasn't scanned into a system and printed as a whole (kinda like my driver's lic.). The photo looks to just be laid on top of the card and the whole thing laminated. The edge lamination are pretty thin where the photo is, so I'll have to be careful not to bend the card and seperate the laminated plastic.

Does the resident permits have a photo on it?

#7 ·
I received mine in Jan. 2008, and there is no photo on it.

Take your license to Staples and they can laminate better than the Commonwealth of Virginia did.

#13 ·
Took me by surprise when I came home and I had my 2nd envelope from the Commonwealth of Virginia. The first was a receipt for my payment just last week and this one with the permit enclosed. I felt the hard outline of the card in the envelope, so I figured it wasn't a denial letter or something.

I also enclosed copies of any and all gov't documents in with my application.
NJ FID card
US Passport
NRA Basic Pistol Cert. (Required)
NJ Driver's Lic.

I am also a recent FID holder (Sept 2008), so my background has been recently done, but I don't know if that would help any in getting the application processed faster.

#18 ·
google VA CCW non-resident permit and you'll came across the website where you can phone for the application.

Virginia State Police

I live in NJ and I originally found a company in PA that holds classes for the FL non-Res CCW in Philly.

29 State Concealed Carry Permit Class: Personal Defense Solutions

Luckily, they also go to gun shows and hold classes and have the applications. It's $50 for each application and you leave with the application/photo/fingerprint card/notarization. I got lucky one weekend where they were 30 minutes away at an MD gunshow and I was there visiting family.

I was originally gonna just get the FL, but they said that most people start with the FL and then acquire a collection to that they can cover as many states with all the reciprocities. I was there, so I went ahead and did both.

I'm glad that I did it there cause they help out with any questions.
I already took an NRA Basic pistol, so I didn't have to take the CCW class and the firearm test. Also, if you send away for the application package, it would take probably 2 weeks before you even get the package and start the process. In 1 hour, I got everything I needed for the application, then I just got a money order for the fees and certifiied mailed it.

#19 ·
I forgot to mention, I also got my membership package for GSSF today. It comes with a letter saying that I qualify (as a new member) for a discounted rate for a new Glock pistol. From what I've read, it's similar to the LEO rate or better in some cases.

I've got my G19, but if this discount pays off, I may be in the market for a G26.

#21 ·
I also applied for my Non-Res permit in VA while I was a NJ resident going to school in Virginia. However, I am now a VA resident with a resident permit.

The Non-Resident permit is larger and does come laminated with the photo.

The Resident permit is smaller for some reason but yet not laminated.

For some reason my Resident permit took 30 days while my Non-Resident permit took only 13 days. Who knows why...

Just my experience.

#23 ·
--SNIP-- For some reason my Resident permit took 30 days while my Non-Resident permit took only 13 days. Who knows why...
The Non-Resident permit is received and processed directly by VSP the Resident permit goes through the clerk of the court to VSP for background check then back to the clerk for processing and issue. :hand1:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.