Close Encounter of the LEO kind

This is a discussion on Close Encounter of the LEO kind within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Sounds like the fact you were doing the actual speed limit before the speed drop showed that you weren't inclined to speed,had you been doing ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Close Encounter of the LEO kind

Sounds like the fact you were doing the actual speed limit before the speed drop showed that you weren't inclined to speed,had you been doing 75 or over I bet he would have wrote you.
    As far as the post where the trooper let a drunk with guns go,I would like to see the trooper get fired,anybody that lacks enough judgement to not drive while impaired lacks enough good judgement to carry a gun IMHO.The drunk driver didn't learn anything and next time because the good ole boy let him go It may be somebody you know he kills while operating his car under the influence.RANT OFF
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by dukalmighty View Post
    Sounds like the fact you were doing the actual speed limit before the speed drop showed that you weren't inclined to speed,had you been doing 75 or over I bet he would have wrote you.
    As far as the post where the trooper let a drunk with guns go,I would like to see the trooper get fired,anybody that lacks enough judgement to not drive while impaired lacks enough good judgement to carry a gun IMHO.The drunk driver didn't learn anything and next time because the good ole boy let him go It may be somebody you know he kills while operating his car under the influence.RANT OFF
    +1 to dukalmighty, I think the fact that the driver was drunk and armed shows little respect for the CPL license. Thats two strikes right there. I guess the LEO felt like he should be nice because he had a CPL but he should have at least given him a serious lecture! Here in Michigan the blood alcohol level allowed for CCW is lower than for driving. Granted both are equally as dangerous but as CCW holders we need to be held to a higher standard if for no other reason than to promote the good side of CCW.

Sounds like I should have shown my CCW permit to one of Indiana's finest as he sat right next to the 55 mph. sign that I barely made out when I flew past it at 78 mph. I didn't have enough time to slow down, got a nice ticket to the tune of $125.00. I also had my Rossi M68 in the pocket next to the driver's door, very concealed I might add. He came up to the passenger side of the door so he did have a clear view of our car's interior with dome light on. I was holding back the dog, she would have been more of a threat than the revolver I had. The wife gave him all the license, registration information. I did consider for a moment showing him the WV CCW permit, but declined to do so. Maybe it can go either way, he could have been a jerk and arrested us or talked about firearms and let us go with a warning. Guess I will never know.

Quote Originally Posted by TedBeau View Post
    Granted both are equally as dangerous but as CCW holders we need to be held to a higher standard if for no other reason than to promote the good side of CCW.
    We are already held to a higher standard, criminal background checks, finger prints on file etc just to exercise our God given right to protect ourselves. Don't get me wrong in thinking that guns and alcohol are a good mix because they aren't, the only thing that mixes well with alcohol is club soda.
    I agree with duck, although the trooper may have had good intent he has sent possibly a lethal message to the drunk driver. The trooper may have even put his career on the line in doing so.
    For as the lightning comes from the east and flashes to the west, so also will the coming of the son of man be. Mathew 24:27

NRA Member

After thinking more about it, I come up with a more realistic theory. I seriously think after he got to my vehicle, the LEO saw my boys in the truck (10 y/o triplets), the camping gear in back and my rapidly vanishing hair. He probably figured all of that, along with the kids telling mom how dad got stopped by the police, was more punishment than a ticket would be!
    "... Americans... we want a safe home, to keep the money we make and shoot bad guys." -- Denny Crane

That part of Texas has plenty of speed traps, and under the same conditions as the one you hit. Out-of-towners are more at risk of getting a ticket, but aren't assured a fine. Being polite certainly helps, but usually you would get one anyway. Small town police are usually pretty good guys, and firm believers in 2A, so maybe the CHL helped.

Favorites: "If you can read this, thank a teacher. If you can read this in English, thank a soldier."
    Admiral Gary Roughead, CNO: "I never, ever, want to see my sailors or Marines in a fair fight."

VIP Member
    After thinking more about it, I come up with a more realistic theory. I seriously think after he got to my vehicle, the LEO saw my boys in the truck (10 y/o triplets), the camping gear in back and my rapidly vanishing hair. He probably figured all of that, along with the kids telling mom how dad got stopped by

Too funny. 10y/o triplets. Good Luck with that.

Quote Originally Posted by ccman View Post
    After thinking more about it, I come up with a more realistic theory. I seriously think after he got to my vehicle, the LEO saw my boys in the truck (10 y/o triplets), the camping gear in back and my rapidly vanishing hair. He probably figured all of that, along with the kids telling mom how dad got stopped by

Too funny. 10y/o triplets. Good Luck with that.
    I also have three grown children in their 30's. I had originally thought when they were grown and on their own, life would become soooo much simpler. Believe me when I say the LAST thing I though I'd be doing is daddy stuff again at 58 with kids that are younger than most of my grandchildren!

I have been told that having young children (though nothing was said about having three at once) when you are older - or more "mature" as my wife likes to put it - helps keep you young. I've also heard they will drive you to an early grave! I'll let you know which it is later because at this point it's still up in the air. OTOH, having "been there and done that" with three other children, there is one thing I can say with certainty and it's definitely a good thing; at least they aren't teenagers... yet.
    "... Americans... we want a safe home, to keep the money we make and shoot bad guys." -- Denny Crane

VIP Member
    I hear You and I hope they keep You young.

10 yr old triplets - How many accidental injury visits to medical care do they have combined? My 3 brothers and I (different ages) have more that we could count.
    Sorry Mom & Dad

MLC
    hehe, i've been through tatum and gotten a ticket there also. there are traps set in all four directions into town. it's a very small town and that is probably the majority of the revenue for the local police department so feel blessed that all you got was a warning. about 5 years ago there was a quick special on the news here about speed traps in new mexico and tatum was listed number 2 if i remember correctly.

Quote Originally Posted by JB-Norcal View Post
    10 yr old triplets - How many accidental injury visits to medical care do they have combined? My 3 brothers and I (different ages) have more that we could count.
    Sorry Mom & Dad
    At least a half dozen visits to the ER so far starting at age two when one boy pushed the other out of a chair, hitting his eye on a table = three stitches. One boy dropped a brick on a brothers fingers at age 5, breaking one. There have been other visits for stitches/check-ups from being pushed down stairs, being hit with a baseball bat (an accident) that required three more stitches, one boy knocked out a tooth - a baby tooth luckily - with an elbow to the face when the horseplay got too rough, trips from falling off bikes or skates and other things I can't remember at the moment. We average at least one trip to the doctor a month for either illness or injury, and that DOESN'T include the ER trips.

Isn't life (and a good health insurance plan) grand!!

Quote Originally Posted by rachilders View Post
    After thinking more about it, I come up with a more realistic theory. I seriously think after he got to my vehicle, the LEO saw my boys in the truck (10 y/o triplets), the camping gear in back and my rapidly vanishing hair. He probably figured all of that, along with the kids telling mom how dad got stopped by the police, was more punishment than a ticket would be!
    I believe THAT to be the absolute truth!
    "Just getting a concealed carry permit means you haven't commited a crime yet. CCP holders commit crimes." Daniel Vice, senior attorney for the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, quoted on Fox & Friends, 8 Jul, 2008

(Sometimes) "a fight avioded is a fight won." ... claude clay

Only pulled over once while carrying, and I gave my CWFL to the officer even though it isn't required in FL.

I still got a bloody ticket.

However, it was for considerably less than what he clocked me doing.

I don't know if it was because of the CWFL, or that the arm I had outside my window was missing half the skin and bleeding profusely from a martial arts training accident.

-JT

VIP Member Array paramedic70002's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by athos76 View Post
    a LEO stepped out and waved me over.
    That happened to me one time. I waved back and kept going.
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links