Close Encounter of the LEO kind

This is a discussion on Close Encounter of the LEO kind within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; As I was taking my three youngest sons camping over the weekend, I had my first encounter with a LEO since I've had a CC ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Close Encounter of the LEO kind

Close Encounter of the LEO kind

As I was taking my three youngest sons camping over the weekend, I had my first encounter with a LEO since I've had a CC license. This is my story...

It was around 8 AM. We had been on the road for about 45 minutes and I had traveled at a constant 70 (the posted speed limit) most of the way. As I neared the small town of Tatum, there was a fairly sharp curve and incline in the highway. Just past the crest of the hill there was a sign that didn't become visible until you topped the hill and I failed to notice a posted drop in speed to 55 until it was too late. As I passed the sign, I began to slow down but a Tatum police car was sitting just off the road as I passed and pulled out as soon as I reached the sign. My first thoughts were that I hadn't received a ticket in 30 years and "SPEED TRAP".

I pulled over and the policeman walked up to my door. As he approached, I'd turned off the engine, reached for my wallet and rolled down the window. When he reached my door, he asked to see my license, proof of insurance and said he was ticketing me for going 70 in a 55 MPH speed zone. As per Texas law, I handed him my CC license in addition to the other documents and as soon as he saw the license, he asked me if I were armed. I said I had a weapon under the drivers seat. Since I had my three sons with me, I kept my gun out of reach of prying fingers while on the road.

Anyway, the LEO said thank you and walked back to his car. He returned several minutes later and said he was giving me a warning. He then asked where we were going and what sort of weapon I had. I answered both questions then we chatted briefly about the weather (it was overcast and windy) and I said I hoped the rain held off until the next evening after our camping trip was finished. He said good luck on the camp out and to watch the speed limits. I said thanks, I would keep a better eye out and we both went our ways.

Now, I don't know if my having a CC license had anything to do with my change in fortune, but before I showed it to the local LEO I was set for a ticket and a fine. Instead, I received a warning and a pleasant chat about the weather and my gun. Was it my winning smile and gift of gab, I doubt it. Was the LEO 2A friendly and willing to give a citizen who has spent the time, effort money to legally arm himself a break? I don't know. Then again, maybe... ! :
    Last edited by rachilders; March 8th, 2009 at 08:10 PM.
    "... Americans... we want a safe home, to keep the money we make and shoot bad guys." -- Denny Crane

2. Remove Ads

My guess is that it was probably a little of both. Also seeing a father taking his sons out to do some good old fashioned outdoor activities is nice.

Good job

Probably. For whatever reason, it's nice to see that LEO's - or at least this one, in my case - aren't the hard asses many people like to think they are.
    "... Americans... we want a safe home, to keep the money we make and shoot bad guys." -- Denny Crane

Maybe you were the first person who didn't act like a jerk because they got pulled over that day. All cops do not have bad attitudes and some are as open minded as anyone else. Hope you had a great time with your kids, God Bless.
    For as the lightning comes from the east and flashes to the west, so also will the coming of the son of man be. Mathew 24:27

NRA Member

Quote Originally Posted by rachilders View Post
    It was around 8 AM. We had been on the road for about 45 minutes and I had traveled at a constant 70 (the posted speed limit) most of the way. As I neared the small town of Tatum, there was a fairly sharp curve and incline in the highway. Just past the crest of the hill there was a sign that didn't become visible until you topped the hill and I failed to notice a posted drop in speed to 55 until it was too late. As I passed the sign, I began to slow down but a Tatum police car was sitting just off the road as I passed and pulled out as soon as I reached the sign. image035:
    Almost sounds like a speed trap to me. Maybe the LEO knew it was set up as a trap and just couldn't bring himself to commit such an act of giving a ticket.
    oldogy

I think the answer to your question is a little of both. I know a local trooper here pretty well and we were talking about a week ago when he tells me he pulled a guy over and the guy had several weapons on him.

The guy was DUI but because he was cool with the trooper the trooper called a tow truck and had the guys truck towed and had the tow guy take the drunk home. He said he put all the guns in the guys trunk and when he picked his vehicle up from the tow guy his guns would be there.

He said he didnt want the guy to have a DUI on his record to hinder his CWP when it came time to reup.

Im sure the towing fees were enough to maybe teach the guy a lesson LOL
    My Music: www.reverbnation.com/dickiefredericks
    New tunes added.
    "The Double Tap Center Mass Boogie. Learn it, know it, love it, shoot it. Good guys should live, bad guys not so much. " - Ted Nugent 09

+1 on rotty's post.

Maybe a pro 2A copper, sensitive to having to man a known speedtrap, or possiably was just being passive to a father going camping with his young'ns.

I'd wager a little of all of 'em. Good encounter either way.
    "Just getting a concealed carry permit means you haven't commited a crime yet. CCP holders commit crimes." Daniel Vice, senior attorney for the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, quoted on Fox & Friends, 8 Jul, 2008

(Sometimes) "a fight avioded is a fight won." ... claude clay

Quote Originally Posted by oldogy View Post
    Almost sounds like a speed trap to me. Maybe the LEO knew it was set up as a trap and just couldn't bring himself to commit such an act of giving a ticket.
    oldogy
    LOL...that's what I was thinking. I've run through a town or two like that. You're rollin' on along in a 55 zone, come around a bend and bam...35 zone with no warning and a local deputy just past the sign with a big grin on his face.

About all you can do is take it in stride and be polite...yes sir, thank you sir, have a nice day sir...
    "My God David, We're a Civilized society."

"Sure, As long as the machines are workin' and you can call 911. But you take those things away, you throw people in the dark, and you scare the **** out of them; no more rules...You'll see how primitive they can get."
    -The Mist (2007)

VIP Member
    Glad it worked out the way it did for You and Your Boys may have learned something as well.

VIP Member Array paramedic70002's Avatar
    A few years ago there started to appear signs that advised a lower speed limit ahead. I wonder why (prevent speed traps?), and was there not one for you?
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

VIP Member
    good story, glad all was well
    LEO/CHL
    Certified Glock Armorer

"I got a touch of hangover bureaucrat, don't push me"
    --G.W. McClintock

Independence is declared; it must be maintained. Sam Houston-3/2/1836
    If loose gun laws are good for criminals why do criminals support gun control?

On one of my local streets, the limit goes from 45 to 30, right after a corner gas station. I was cruising along one night and as I approached the intersection, a LEO stepped out and waved me over. I pulled into the gas station parking lot and he told me he was ticketing me for going 45 in a 30. I asked about the 30 mph speed sign and he pointed it out just past the gas station. I asked him where he clocked me at..and he pointed across the intersection. I kindly pointed out that where he clocked me, the limit was 45, and that the 30 didn't start for another 50 feet past us.
    He said to save my tongue and I can fight it in court if I want. So, I requested a court date, showed up with some Google Maps (streetview too) and photos and handed the package to the judge. She reviewed them and asked the LEO if the speed trap was at that location and he agreed. She then asked if anyone else got caught in that speed trap, and the LEO pointed out 12 other people there. She dismissed all the tickets and scolded the LEO for wasting time, and next time to be sure to pull people over past the posted sign.
    As she talked about it, she also brought up the fact that the LEOs were using a gas station parking lot as a speed trap corral and asked if they had permission from the owner of the gas station. The LEO said they told the gas station owner they would be there... then the owner stood up as one of the ticketed! He said he never gave them permission, and that the two officers came inside and made coffee and never even offered to pay for it.

The judge lit the LEO up after that.

I've been pulled over 3 times since getting my CWP...and when I bring it up, the LEOs usually come back with a warning or just say "have a nice day"...or as one said "I'm in the habit of not giving tickets to guys who carry guns...it tends to tick them off..."

I've been invited to go shooting with one, and another saw my target in the back seat and said I shot better than most of his station...
    "carrying a gun is a lot lighter than carrying a cop in your pocket" -MrTwice99

Distinguished Member Array Squawker's Avatar
    I've been pulled over 3 times since I started carrying (actually, I hadn't been pulled in the previous 20 years-go figure). Twice I wasn't aware that I had done anything wrong, and once, I have to admit, I was late for work, and while I wasn't intentionally pushing it, I just wasn't paying the proper attention. I always give my CCW along with license, registration, and insurance, and let him/her know that I'm armed, and where it's located. Twice, I was just given warning (of course, the time I got a ticket, I wasn't aware I was speeding). I do think that the CCW had something to do with it. It may be that they appreciate being informed where any weapon in the car may be. Of course, I believe that the most important thing is being respectful, and pleasant. The officer gets enough of being treated like crap, and dealing with abusive people. Someone who understands that if they're wrong, and doesn't make a scene, is probably going to get a break if the officer is at all inclined to give one. After that, the CCW doesn't hurt, and may help.

Quote Originally Posted by AllAmerican View Post
    The guy was DUI but because he was cool with the trooper the trooper called a tow truck and had the guys truck towed and had the tow guy take the drunk home. He said he put all the guns in the guys trunk and when he picked his vehicle up from the tow guy his guns would be there.

He said he didnt want the guy to have a DUI on his record to hinder his CWP when it came time to reup.

Im sure the towing fees were enough to maybe teach the guy a lesson LOL
    Good ol' South Carolina. We don't have a "You Booze It, You Lose It" campaign, we have a"You Booze It, your local cop will call a towtruck for you!"
    When in doubt empty the magazine.

"There is nothing so likely to produce peace as to be well prepared to meet the enemy." - George Washington

It was probably your CCW. In WI we don't have CCW, but if we did I would probably cut a guy a little more slack...us gun owners have to stick together...most coppers I at work are very pro-2nd amendment.
    Si vis pacem, parabellum

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links