What to tell LEO when pulled over w/o CHL

This is a discussion on What to tell LEO when pulled over w/o CHL within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; 1.Let him tell me why he pull me over. 2.Let him know I a have a pistol in the vehicle. Is this how it works? ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What to tell LEO when pulled over w/o CHL

What to tell LEO when pulled over w/o CHL

1.Let him tell me why he pull me over.
    2.Let him know I a have a pistol in the vehicle.

Is this how it works? (waiting for chl class...)

2. Remove Ads

If he asked you if you have firearm. You must let LEO know where. Always keep your both hands on steer where LEO can see your hands. Be polite to LEO. You will be fine.

Night time= turn on your dome light and keep your hand on steer where LEO can see your hands.

W/O CCW....always make sure you dont have firearm on you! glove box will be the best.

Am I able to have the firearm in a holster while going from home to car?

Quote Originally Posted by jkvan87 View Post
    Am I able to have the firearm in a holster while going from home to car?
    You can have firearm in holster going to your car. you must keep firearm concealed. Once you get into car. You must immediately put your firearm in the glovebox.

As long as it is concealed.

This is from the Texas DPS site.

In Texas you are required to inform a LEO of a CHL.

Here's another resource: Texas Department of Public Safety - Courtesy, Service, Protection

Here is what that says:

Traveling on Texas Roadways with Concealed Handguns

Traffic stop policies vary among law enforcement agencies. Your local police department or sheriff's office can tell you what to expect if stopped while carrying a handgun within their jurisdictions.

Texas Department of Public Safety troopers will ask you:

* Whether you are licensed to carry a concealed handgun
    * Whether you have the gun with you
    * Where the gun is located

A trooper may disarm a licensee anytime he or she feels that safety is at risk. The trooper will return the gun at the end of the traffic stop when the threat to safety has passed.

When stopped by a law enforcement officer, DPS recommends that you:

* Keep your hands in plain sight
    * Cooperate fully with the police officer
    * If you have a gun with you, tell the officer as soon as possible
    * Don't make any quick movements, especially toward the weapon
    * At night, turn on your vehicle's dome light

You can contact the Concealed Handgun Licensing Bureau at :

REGULATORY LICENSING SERVICE MSC 0245
    TEXAS DEPARTMENT OF PUBLIC SAFETY
    PO BOX 4087
    AUSTIN TX 78773-0245
    Phone: (512) 424-7293 or (512) 424-7294
    Helpline: (800) 224-5744

Distinguished Member Array bandit383's Avatar

Tell him you're a dummy who hasn't got around to taking your CCW class and forgot to put it in the trunk. It won't help, but it might make you feel better on the way downtown for telling the truth.
    Treat me good, I'll treat you better. Treat me bad, I'll treat you worse.

Quote Originally Posted by AZ Husker View Post
    Tell him you're a dummy who hasn't got around to taking your CCW class and forgot to put it in the trunk. It won't help, but it might make you feel better on the way downtown for telling the truth.
    Why does it have to be in the trunk? How am I suppose to defend myself in my car if I can't get it?

Quote Originally Posted by FireAir7215 View Post
    You can have firearm in holster going to your car. you must keep firearm concealed. Once you get into car. You must immediately put your firearm in the glovebox.
    Quote Originally Posted by AZ Husker View Post
    -1000 due to lack of accuracy.

The OP is in Houston...i.e. Texas. In Sept of 2007, Texas refined the 'traveling' provision in the statutes. A CHL is not required to have a concealed firearm on your person while you are in your vehicle, or en route to your home or business from your vehicle or vice versa.

Just beneath the 'additional information' section, you can find the actual statues and related weapons laws. Texas Department of Public Safety - Regulatory Licensing Service Concealed Handgun Licensing

Without your CHL, you actually have no duty to inform. Its weird, but in Houston, if I didn't have a CHL and was carrying I would probably not inform the officer unless he specifically asked. Once you get your CHL, you will be required to hand him it, along with your Drivers License any time you are asked for ID.

There is no glove compartment requirement. There is no trunk requirement. The only requirements are that you can't be part of a criminal street gang, must be eligible to own a firearm, can't be commiting a crime other than a class c misdemeanor, and it must be concealed.

Do yourself a favor and go to the DPS website and read the statutes for yourself.
    There are two sides to every issue: one side is right and the other is wrong, but the middle is always evil.

http://miscmusings.townhall.com/

Who is John Galt?

Thanks a lot. Sometimes legal issues are grayish..

Quote Originally Posted by Kerbouchard View Post
    -1000 due to lack of accuracy.

The OP is in Houston...i.e. Texas. In Sept of 2007, Texas refined the 'traveling' provision in the statutes. A CHL is not required to have a concealed firearm on your person while you are in your vehicle, or en route to your home or business from your vehicle or vice versa.

Just beneath the 'additional information' section, you can find the actual statues and related weapons laws. Texas Department of Public Safety - Regulatory Licensing Service Concealed Handgun Licensing

Without your CHL, you actually have no duty to inform. Its weird, but in Houston, if I didn't have a CHL and was carrying I would probably not inform the officer unless he specifically asked. Once you get your CHL, you will be required to hand him it, along with your Drivers License any time you are asked for ID.

There is no glove compartment requirement. There is no trunk requirement. The only requirements are that you can't be part of a criminal street gang, must be eligible to own a firearm, can't be commiting a crime other than a class c misdemeanor, and it must be concealed.

Do yourself a favor and go to the DPS website and read the statutes for yourself.
    I took CHL class 3 weeks ago, My instructor told us while a person dont have CHL that its the best to keep the firearm in glovebox or middle console.

That's probably where HE likes to keep it.

I'm short, and my car is kinda wide. If I keep mine in my glove box, I couldn't get to it in time if I needed it.

As long as it's concealed, where doesn't matter.
    "I pledge allegiance to the war banner of the united states of Totalitaria. And to the Republic, which no longer stands, several bankers, who are now god, indivisible, with Bernanke bucks and credit for all."

Quote Originally Posted by jkvan87 View Post
    1.Let him tell me why he pull me over.
    2.Let him know I a have a pistol in the vehicle.

Is this how it works? (waiting for chl class...)
    If you live in a "Must Inform" state, then present your gun carry permit/license. Then if he/she inquires further - answer truefully.

If you do not live in a "Must Inform" state - do not say anything unless the firearm is clearly visable to the officer. Why cause yourself more hassle?

I took CHL class 3 weeks ago, My instructor told us while a person dont have CHL that its the best to keep the firearm in glovebox or middle console.
    If you took your class 3 weeks ago, you probably have another 2-3 months before you get your plastic in hand. I would recommend reviewing the statutes during that wait. Nothing against your instructor, but either he was incorrect, or you heard it wrong. Based on your two quotes being slightly different, it might have been the way you interpreted it.

Either way, if there are too many of those misinterpretations, either on his part or on yours, I would say that spending some time reviewing the statutes might be a good use of some of that wait time.

FWIW, I have heard of instructors misleading people about the car carry issue. I can think of one instructor off hand where his website specifically says you can't carry a loaded firearm in your vehicle without a CHL. I guess he is just trying to keep his business up, but its an out and out lie, and I have since stopped recommending him.

Congrats to you guys for making the decision to get your CHL and taking the class (or for the OP, getting ready to take the class), but the class won't teach you everything, and its up to you to fact check what your instructor told you.

Stay safe, and legal, out there.
    There are two sides to every issue: one side is right and the other is wrong, but the middle is always evil.

http://miscmusings.townhall.com/

Who is John Galt?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links