How many carry strong-side, grip forward? - Page 2

How many carry strong-side, grip forward?

This is a discussion on How many carry strong-side, grip forward? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I just can't imagine that you could draw quickly and safely like that. I carry strong side with a 15º canted holster at 3 o'clock ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: How many carry strong-side, grip forward?

I just can't imagine that you could draw quickly and safely like that.

I carry strong side with a 15º canted holster at 3 o'clock and the gun doesn't poke me or anything (plus your arm assists in concealment).

More important than anything is a good quality holster that supports the gun ... you can't tell too much by sticking the gun in your pants sans holster.

An IWB holster with a good sized piece of leather between you and the gun will probably help.

Quote Originally Posted by OldDawg
    I also am very slim, I am 5-10 & weigh 150 dripping wet. I can easily conceal a full size 1911 IWB on right side @ 3 o clock . Even with just a t shirt not tucked in it is not noticible. Some advice.
    I'm 6'0" 145lbs. A USP in a CTAC at 3:30 is what I wear every day. The cant is set at maximum forward.

Distinguished Member Array fed_wif_a_sig's Avatar
    Just a thought. If the grip is to long you might want to take a peak at getting a CCO type weapon. Colt and Para make them I know for sure. Thats a Commander length barrel (4.25") and an officers grip. It worked for me when I carried 1911s concealed back in my early years (I was 5'09" and 128#s). Just a thought.
    Steve
    "Respect all ... Fear none!!!

I imagine you have, but have you tried IWB with your carry at the 1:00-1:30 position? I'm 6' 175lbs and find that carrying my XD9 with an extra mag in the front pouch of the Desantis I use seems to be quite comfy at about that position. When I get in my truck, I shift it the slightest buit so that the barrel points more towards the center of the seat and the grip slides back a bit. It sits right in the cubby atop my hip bone and my "love handle".

I can image what you mean by the carry you were mentioning. The only thought I would have with it would be the draw from strong side. WIthout some fancy manuevering, you would pretty much be crossing your midsection with a gun that's ready to fire. The act of drawing quickly might get you into a bad situation due to the twisting motion you'de have to make in order to get the gun into action. Think weapon retention too from that draw. You'de be making a lot more movement and it might be tougher to get the gun into a ready position if you were at "bad breath" distance.

Just some thoughts...
    Firefighter/EMT
    "You've never lived until you've almost died. For those who fight for it, life has a flavor the protected will never know" - T.R.

<----My LT was unhappy that I did not have my PASS-Tag at that fire. But I found the body so he said he would overlook it. :)

Lead Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by fed_wif_a_sig
    Just a thought. If the grip is to long you might want to take a peak at getting a CCO type weapon. Colt and Para make them I know for sure. Thats a Commander length barrel (4.25") and an officers grip. It worked for me when I carried 1911s concealed back in my early years (I was 5'09" and 128#s). Just a thought.
    Also the bobbed grips look like they would conceal alot better with a strong side carry.

Natural have you ever seen a pic of Wild Bill where he was carring his 36"s in the belt?

Thats whats refered to as the Calvary carry,, now just picture doing the same, but carring inside the belt just above the hip pockets

OK, here are a few pics with the Uncle Mike's holster. I've also got videos of the draw if someone would like to host them, e-mail or PM me.
    Attached Images
    - Kurt
    “Freedom is the sure possession of those alone who have the courage to defend it.” ~Pericles of Athens
    Primary Carry - Colt Commander .45 in a Brommeland Max-Con V

Rest of the pics:
    Attached Images
    - Kurt
    “Freedom is the sure possession of those alone who have the courage to defend it.” ~Pericles of Athens
    Primary Carry - Colt Commander .45 in a Brommeland Max-Con V

Administrative Ban Array Bruces45's Avatar
    That is along the lines of what I was thinking, except I would want more neg cant on the holster to aid in clearing leather. At what point in the draw are you flicking off the thumb safety?

Have you tried a little more to the rear or front? For me it tends to ride better just a hair more forward

What about a cross draw in the 9 o'clock position? I think that the draw would be faster and the draw you just taught yourself could be done with your left hand in the case that you could not draw with your right. Just a thought

Nothing wrong with it. I found out you can set in the G-ride all day without any pain with the but of the gun facing forward. Carried a Model 60 that way for 26 years on the job and some times I still do. Did not have a holster; just put several rubber bands on the grip. Now I carry a Glock 27 in a U.D.C. (Ultra Deep Cover) on my right side with a left-handed holster. Work with it and you will not have any trouble getting the gun out. You can be as fast on the draw as any John Wayne want-to-be that you see on TV. You will need to go up on your pants size and look at different shirts that will fit the look. Just remember you will have to work with it/this to get good/fast/smooth at getting the gun out of the holster. You don’t have to be fast putting the gun back in.

Just someyhing i dont like about the look of that 3rd picture....... EEEEKKK......... Plus i got a 20 dollar bill that says I can foul your draw easier then you can imagine in a true force on force encounter.

Go buy yourself an airsoft 1911 & the get a friend to work with you. I promise he will turn you into little pieces with a knife while you get that out. remember the golden 10 feet ... by turning your shoulder you are throwing your upper body out of alignment making it easier for someone to take you to the ground.

Play with it, test it . practice under force on force conditions . It might just change your mind.

Just my 1/2 cent

Take Care & stay Safe.
    Stupidity cannot be cured with money, or through education, or by legislation. Stupidity is not a sin, the victim can't help being stupid. But stupidity is the only universal capital crime; the sentence is death, there is no appeal and execution is carried out automatically and without pity.

Quote Originally Posted by OldDawg
    Just someyhing i dont like about the look of that 3rd picture....... EEEEKKK......... Plus i got a 20 dollar bill that says I can foul your draw easier then you can imagine in a true force on force encounter.

Go buy yourself an airsoft 1911 & the get a friend to work with you. I promise he will turn you into little pieces with a knife while you get that out. remember the golden 10 feet ... by turning your shoulder you are throwing your upper body out of alignment making it easier for someone to take you to the ground.

Play with it, test it . practice under force on force conditions . It might just change your mind.

Just my 1/2 cent

Take Care & stay Safe.
    Looking at the pics, it can certainly be done. The thing that makes me wonder about it is the unneccesary arm twist to get to the gun and draw. You are creating more movement than is neccesary and putting your strong side arm into an unnatural position. It just seems like a lot of movement for little gain.

Inside 10-15ft, I don't see you clearing that holster with only your strong side hand. You get knocked down halfway through that draw and your strong side hand is gonna be done for...
    Firefighter/EMT
    "You've never lived until you've almost died. For those who fight for it, life has a flavor the protected will never know" - T.R.

<----My LT was unhappy that I did not have my PASS-Tag at that fire. But I found the body so he said he would overlook it. :)

What about a left-hand side with a cross-draw holster?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links