How many carry strong-side, grip forward? - Page 3

How many carry strong-side, grip forward?

This is a discussion on How many carry strong-side, grip forward? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Thanks for all of the comments guys, it's good to have such a large group to bounce ideas off of. I'll reply in order. Bruce, ...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Thanks for all of the comments guys, it's good to have such a large group to bounce ideas off of. I'll reply in order.

Bruce, I flick the safety while bringing it up on target. This gives me trouble with a conventional draw too, I think an extended safety is in this gun's near future.

Dave, I'm still experimenting with what works best. A little more forward works well while seated while a little further back is better standing.

Dingle, cross draw is out. If it's at 9:00 the grip won't conceal, and if it's further back I can't reach. Further forward and I can't sit down. OWB cross draw may be a possibility I'll investigate in the future.

Dawg, would you care to elaborate on why you don't like the third pic? The muzzle isn't pointed at any part of me. Also, I don't understand all of this concern about being able to draw with an adversary so close. If he's that close, I'm not going to draw, I'm going to MOVE! I can't make any draw faster than a man can cover 21 feet and I know it. I can cover ground pretty damn fast myself. As for throwing my body out of alignment; I have to do that for a regular draw too (freaky long monkey arms and a short torso remember). If someone can host these five short vids I've got you can see this backwards draw both slow and fast from the front and side, then a conventional draw from the side. My shoulder is in nearly the same position for both draws, and I don't detect any difference in speed.

gddyup, if I get the vids up you'll see there isn't much excess movement. The gain is tremendous since it allow me to carry more frequently without holstering and unholstering every time I get in and out of my car. It's a Civic with big seat bolsters, and even a short gripped pistol like my Kel-Tec will dig into my kidneys when worn in a conventional strong side. I carried this Commander all day today in the Uncle Mike's holster with barely any discomfort, not even from the heavy weight.

At this point, I have this lefty holster and a Gary Brommeland MaxCon V en route. I'll carry with this one until the MaxCon V arrives then compare them. Gary's work could be just what I need. We'll see how it works out.
    - Kurt
    “Freedom is the sure possession of those alone who have the courage to defend it.” ~Pericles of Athens
    Primary Carry - Colt Commander .45 in a Brommeland Max-Con V

RoadRunner,

Guess I dont understand completely, you are carrying a weapon to protect yourself , yet you say that in an encounter under 21 feet you would be moving.... not drawing, I think lots of practice is in order no matter which carry position you choose.

If your thinking is you will always be in a position that you will have time to get your weapon out before the BG notices, you need to rethink this . Most force on force Self defense encounters happen within 10 to 15 feet & end up smelling their breath range.

Yes moving is a great concept as you are drawing. work at learning to draw while moving in under 1.5 seconds. i use a timer & can speak from exp. that with practice you can go from leather to first shot in well under this when shooting from retention. which is what you will be doing if someone is attacking.

My advice is Practice practice practice. i am known to sit at home watching TV practicing reloads. or even Draws from a sitting position.
    Practice is cheap insurance .

I will make you an offer, I have a spare Airsoft 1911 nothing fancy but all controls are correct. & fits a standard holster. if you promise to practice 1/2 hour a night for 30days I will ship it to you. Just practice draws, manual of arms, reloads, & such. Up to you. If interested IM me .
    Stupidity cannot be cured with money, or through education, or by legislation. Stupidity is not a sin, the victim can't help being stupid. But stupidity is the only universal capital crime; the sentence is death, there is no appeal and execution is carried out automatically and without pity.

VIP Member
    When standing, the strong side forward cant is demonstrably faster, but while sitting it's not so good. If one tried a right hand Fobus roto paddle at 9-10 o'clock with the right cant, it might do in the car. At least it wouldn't cost that much to try.
    Liberty, Property, or Death - Jonathan Gardner's powder horn inscription 1776

Tu ne cede malis, sed contra audentior ito.
    ("Do not give in to evil but proceed ever more boldly against it.")
    -Virgil, Aeneid, vi, 95

thanks for the pictures. it doesnt really really do it for me, but if it works for you i dont see a problem with it.

Looks way to unnatural to me ..

But carry how ya like but for me nope not gonna do it

Distinguished Member Array AutoFan's Avatar
    This manner of carry actually has an advantage over the "normal" carry behind the hip method, in that if you do get knocked down, your elbow is not behind your falling body, and if you are on your back on the ground it is much easier to get ahold of the pistol's grip (think about it or try it yourself lying on the ground).

It isn't any faster or slower than the "normal" 4 o'clock position. It is slower than a 3 o'clock.

The bottom line is if it is more comfortable or easier to draw from, he should use it.

Administrative Ban Array Bruces45's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Bud White
    Looks way to unnatural to me ..
    Thats cause your one of those crazy lefty's our parrents always warned us about.

Quote Originally Posted by Bruces45
    Thats cause your one of those crazy lefty's our parrents always warned us about.

Just cause im in my right mine monkey boy

Don't hassle me to much i haven't got to use the ban hammer lately ..

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Links