How many carry strong-side, grip forward?

This is a discussion on How many carry strong-side, grip forward? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I'm toying with the idea of carrying my Commander on my right side in a left-handed IWB holster, so the base of the grip faces ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How many carry strong-side, grip forward?

I'm toying with the idea of carrying my Commander on my right side in a left-handed IWB holster, so the base of the grip faces forward. I have problems concealing with the grip facing rearward because then it jabs me in the back when I sit. I have a very lean build so there isn't a lot of real-estate on my belt for a holster to fit. Experimenting with the gun just stuck into my waistband shows butt-forward to be MUCH more comfortable while seated. I'd like to get some real-world input from the experts here if possible. Thanks.
    - Kurt
    “Freedom is the sure possession of those alone who have the courage to defend it.” ~Pericles of Athens
    Primary Carry - Colt Commander .45 in a Brommeland Max-Con V

Not i to weird to try to draw for me

Administrative Ban Array Bruces45's Avatar
    I posted about that before under a post called "Strong Side Grip Foward" Everyone stated that is was a bad idea as you had to sweep your body as you draw. Now I have still been thinking about it as it seems it would be easier to acquire a grip on my commander (Iwear at about 5 Oclock) and at that angle it I would most likely be sweeping the ground when unholstering. Of course I would need a left hand holster with about 30-35 deg nevative can't. I have found that SOB carry with my commander is very nice. I wear it so the grip is at 4:30-5 Oclock.

Its all preference, but we'll see what others have to say.

I also am very slim, I am 5-10 & weigh 150 dripping wet. I can easily conceal a full size 1911 IWB on right side @ 3 o clock . Even with just a t shirt not tucked in it is not noticible. Some advice.

Buy a good quality IWB holster, Many good Holster makers on this board.

Buy jeans 1 size to large to ease in concealing the IWB carry

I also buy all shirts one size larger as far as t-shirts or sweatshirts. This makes it so much easier.

I also normally wear either a down vest or a 5.11 vest this greatly eases concealment.

We need to make some changes in our life if we are to carry 24/7 & sometimes fashion has to go... I dont think anyone will be commenting about how i look when the ____ hits the fan. I dont make fashion statements. It is all about what is comfortable

Take Care & Stay Safe
    Stupidity cannot be cured with money, or through education, or by legislation. Stupidity is not a sin, the victim can't help being stupid. But stupidity is the only universal capital crime; the sentence is death, there is no appeal and execution is carried out automatically and without pity.

Thanks for the replies guys. The problem here is not an issue of concealment, it's one of comfort. Even with the pistol at 3:00, the grip pokes in all of the wrong places while seated. It's also impossible to draw while seated. My jeans are all an inch too big at the waist and I always wear long, untucked shirts. Gary should have my holster to me by the end of the week, so we'll see how things work with a conventional holster. I still welcome any and all input on the butt-forward carry position.
    - Kurt
    “Freedom is the sure possession of those alone who have the courage to defend it.” ~Pericles of Athens

THis was a popular way to carry "mex" in the 50-60's, and I carried a 1911 that way for several years,, it seems to slide into the side well and tucks in, drawing can be a concern, for those who fail to keep fingers out of trigger guards. As much as I like this style of carry I would say its a big NO!NO! for GLOCKS and their ilk.

im having trouble picturing this form of carry. gotta picture? i carry strong side forward cant. not as cool looking as a jack ass rig, but its very practical and efficient for me.

Administrative Ban Array Bruces45's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by NaturalSelection
    im having trouble picturing this form of carry. gotta picture? i carry strong side forward cant. not as cool looking as a jack ass rig, but its very practical and efficient for me.
    I can't say for RR, but for me when I carry at the position I carry my hand wants to go for a foward facing grip, its easier to put your fingers twards the body when you draw at the 5 Oclock position, then having to turn your hand when you reach.

Lead Moderator
    Not for me. I feel you would be at a disadvantage for proper control/muzzle sweep if you were up close and personal in a fight. I just wear the pistol with a forward cant and it seems to feel alright. Usually I keep the hoster just behind my hip.

Assistant Administrator
    Strong side - 10º - 15º cant.

To be honest I cannot imagine anything approaching a fast and efficient draw with gun reversed - assuming I read this correctly. Other than contemplating a weak hand draw in cross-draw mode.

Not something for me anyways!
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Well I just did a bit of an experiment to try the idea out. I used this carry method without a holster and took a quick trip to the store to test it out. I like it! The butt doesn't get in the way when I sit in my car seat, the weight isn't bad at all, even with my worn out old belt, and the draw is pretty fast. I picked up a left handed Uncle Mike's IWB holster and now it's even better. I think the draw works so well for me personally because I have such freakishly long monkey arms with a very short torso. This makes drawing difficult because I need to lean forward to get my hand on the grip. With this backwards carry, all I do is twist my wrist and elbow, grap the grip, then pull up. Once the muzzle is clear, a quick twist out and up and I'm on target. I'll post some pics of the setup once my camera battery is charged, it should make a lot more sense then.
    - Kurt

Assistant Administrator
    RR - well ya know - as we say so very often - ''if it works for you ....''

That really is ever all that matters - and if still safe etc.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Distinguished Member Array AutoFan's Avatar
    Kurt you are not alone, I've seriously considered the identical carry, for similiar reasons. It is perfectly possible to not sweep your own body (or anyone else's) drawing this way, so long as the barrel is pointed down at the ground after you draw, rotating clockwise until you clear 3 o'clock, at which time it comes up just like a "normal" draw.

VIP Member
    I think the US Cavalry tried this in the 1800's. I guess it's a personal decision, and if it can be done safely (and quickly) it may be OK. IMHO The firing grip and index finger alignment is made too difficult, the shoulder's rotator cup resists the move, and getting the gun to alignment takes longer.

Some IWB, belt, and paddles can be moved to 2:30 or 3:00 for comfortable sitting, even in bucket auto seats. Sometimes a bit more forward cant will solve the problem. Mitch Rosen has the car-jacking rig used by air marshals that carries just weak side of the buckle and requires minimal crossdraw. The but can be covered with a sweater or vest. Shoulder holsters are too slow and sweeping; I don't allow any in the advanced classes. SOB's are out as well. Imagine falling on that fulcrum or getting cross checked into a wall.

There is no perfect answer, like no perfect gun (except the 1911, see Bruce...and Kimber, see me) and everyone's situation requires their special common sense.
    Liberty, Property, or Death - Jonathan Gardner's powder horn inscription 1776

Tu ne cede malis, sed contra audentior ito.
    ("Do not give in to evil but proceed ever more boldly against it.")
    -Virgil, Aeneid, vi, 95

can someone please post a picture of this form of carry?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links