Questions for Active Duty Military members

This is a discussion on Questions for Active Duty Military members within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hi, I have a couple questions for my fellow service members on active duty. If these questions seem ignorant, please forgive my stupidity! 1. Hypothetical ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Questions for Active Duty Military members

Questions for Active Duty Military members

Hi, I have a couple questions for my fellow service members on active duty. If these questions seem ignorant, please forgive my stupidity!

1. Hypothetical Situation: Joe has a valid CCW in State A and PCSes to State B. State B recognizes reciprocity with state A's CC laws, and Joe's CCW in State A is about to expire. Question: can Joe simply apply for a renewal in the state B, or does he have to submit a new packet in State B/go back to State A and submit a renewal?

2. If Joe PCSes to Germany, what does he do with his guns?

Thanks.
    HK .45C
    HK P2000SK 9mm LEM

Any questions?

2. Remove Ads

I'm not sure about the CCW question but as to the guns and Germany question. Find a relative that you trust to leave them with. To get firearms into Germany I do believe it can only be long guns and you need to be a member of a formal hunting club in the country. Don't quote me on that though. That is the info I was given when I was at Spangdahlem in 1999.

VIP Member
    Long time out of active duty here.

However, it was (and I expect still is) a State to State thing.

Another factor you didn't mention (and in my day it was important) is where do you maintained you official residence.

As far a Europe is concerned, hope you have a trusted family member to leave them with.
    Μολὼν λαβέ

I'm just one root in a grassroots organization. No one should assume that I speak for the VCDL.

I am neither an attorney-at-law nor I do play one on television or on the internet. No one should assumes my opinion is legal advice.

Veni, Vidi, Velcro

Quote Originally Posted by belltoller View Post
    Hi, I have a couple questions for my fellow service members on active duty. If these questions seem ignorant, please forgive my stupidity!

1. Hypothetical Situation: Joe has a valid CCW in State A and PCSes to State B. State B recognizes reciprocity with state A's CC laws, and Joe's CCW in State A is about to expire. Question: can Joe simply apply for a renewal in the state B, or does he have to submit a new packet in State B/go back to State A and submit a renewal?

Thanks.
    1. If you have an NC CCW and you are in TN and your NC CCW is about to expire, you need to submit a renewal through NC. Or you can go through the TN process. Hope that helps. I used NC and TN as examples not as this happened.

2. It depends on country. When I was stationed in Germany I brought my weapons with me, but that was in the 80's. Have Joe check with the post transportation section, they can better answer that.

Remember the only stupid question is the question you don't ask!
    "Without fear there can be no Courage!"

Back in the 70's-80's my dad had guns everywhere we went. Remember one thing, the base is US owned. But yes, check with the local shipping department.
    ((Place funny, whitty comment here))

Thanks.
    1. Renew State A's permit (if they have non-resident permits)--because State A may have reciprocity that State B does not have. Also, get permit for State B (as that is your current residence)--your answer depends on independent state's law.

2. Guns go to a relative's house. In my case, probably either my in-laws or my brother. They would go to my parent's house, but they are behind enemy lines in the PRIL. If they were to move to VA or NC, then that's the plan.
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

MOST states that recongize another states CCL's will easily work with AD service members. 'Most" of the time all you need is a copy of your current orders and proof of your new address.....along with all the other hoops 'we' jump through to stay legal. Another states 'recongnized' CCL will have to be renewed in your 'new' state of residence.....AND you'll now fall under that state's carry laws.

I've done it for 17 years so far and 3 of the 6 states I've been stationed at. Hi., Ill. and CT wern't too awfuly helpful, but everywhere else applying and getting a CCL has been fairly easy.

If Germany is the 'new' home......firearms go to a 'trusted' relitive home.

Hope that helps, good luck.
    "Just getting a concealed carry permit means you haven't commited a crime yet. CCP holders commit crimes." Daniel Vice, senior attorney for the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, quoted on Fox & Friends, 8 Jul, 2008

(Sometimes) "a fight avioded is a fight won." ... claude clay

I see you got your questions answered. Out of curiosity, where are you headed?
    NRA member
    GrassRoots GunRights SC member
    Walther PPS .40 / KelTec P3AT

When I PCS'd to Germany, I took all my guns with me. The SOP for the post required I keep them in the arms room, but if I wanted to pull them out, they would have the armorer go down (even on the weekend) and open it up for me. Worked out well. Did a bunch of shooting at various ranges and some hunting. Overall, was not a big deal. Just make sure you have your ATF forms in order.
    Confuse a liberal, use logic and facts.

Thanks for the answers.

Quote Originally Posted by kdallen View Post
    I see you got your questions answered. Out of curiosity, where are you headed?
    Not sure yet. I want Germany (preferably Ansbach), but if that is not available, I'm looking for one of the posts in Virginia. I'll find out for sure in about two months.
    HK .45C
    HK P2000SK 9mm LEM

Any questions?

As far as your pcs, I'd leave em with family, its what I do both while stationed in Hawaii and Iraq. Especially if you live in the barracks. I wouldn't trust my personally owner weapons in the armory. If I was married with a house it would be different though.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

Distinguished Member
    I am now retired, but spent time in Spain, Serbia, Japan and PI.

I was with the Embassy in Spain and Serbia (not with the Embassy guards). I was allowed to bring guns to Spain, but under the Spanish rules. The other Countries didn't allow me to "bring" my personal guns, especially Japan. The other places I was armed and brought them in via other US authorized routes.

You are best to leave them with someone you trust, in a safe.

If you are allowed to have guns in Germany, I would recommend you buy them there and bring a couple of nice pieces home
    21 years and 21 days, United States Marine Corps & NRA Life Member since 1972

"The trouble is with the increasingly widespread problem of idiots prancing around out there confusing their opinions with actual facts." peckman28

Quote Originally Posted by Chorizo View Post

You are best to leave them with someone you trust, in a safe.

If you are allowed to have guns in Germany, I would recommend you buy them there and bring a couple of nice pieces home
    From what I understand, only select people (celebrities) are allowed to own or purchase a gun.

If I do PCS to Germany, I probably will try to bring them with me and keep them in the armory (as much as I detest that). This is getting slightly off topic, but as much as I love Europe, I can't stand the governments there. One of the big reasons why they don't allow guns is because there is no one lobbying for guns. There is no NRA in Germany or Britain, as far as I know.

As a lawyer, I have a lot of issues with how the 2nd is written, but it has protected our right to keep and conceal our guns, at least up to this point. Let us never forget that we to, can become like Europe someday if we don't stand up for what we believe in.
    HK .45C
    HK P2000SK 9mm LEM

Any questions?

I was stationed at Ansbach. Nice place. Whats your MOS?
    Confuse a liberal, use logic and facts.

Never been stationed in Germany but was always up there when stationed in Italy. Hope you get Ansbach.
    NRA member
    GrassRoots GunRights SC member
    Walther PPS .40 / KelTec P3AT

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links