Gaining experience

Gaining experience

This is a discussion on Gaining experience within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; OK, I have had my CCW for a month and a half, have done the wally world walk, several times. In fact it's kinda of ...

Gaining experience

OK, I have had my CCW for a month and a half, have done the wally world walk, several times. In fact it's kinda of my favorite place to carry, and no I do not always carry.

So yesterday we had to go pick up my daughter at the airport, returning from a vist to relatives. The airport is about 60 miles away in a considerably rougher town. (They were murder capital of the nation a few years ago I think.)

We planned on going down, getting some fast food on the way down and would be coming back afte dark. I debated and decided to carry. I hadn't told the GF that I was carrying. Just before we are ready to leave she gets a little lovey and is giving me a back rub. (Daughter has been out of town for 4 days )

She says " You have a t-shirt on, you don't normally wear them" (I have one on under a polo with polo untucked, which is not normal for me, never untucked unless I am carrying IWB then the t-shirt to avoid chaffing.)

I say, "Yeah, keep rubbing farther down"

"I am wearing my gun, since it will be dark when were driving back"
    She doesn't say anything, doesn't seem to mind.

Whole trip goes well, never dropped the gun, only had to adjust holster once or twice, stopped at WhiteCastle cause she had never had them

It was kind of unnerving to carry in an airport. I guess I am always a little more SA of who is near me, getting onto MY flight when I fly so I assume other people are the same, yet no one yelled "HE'S GOT A GUN" or anything!

Maybe we need to start an Airport Dash and Carry tradition!
    Last edited by TedBeau; March 9th, 2009 at 03:06 PM. Reason: spelling and clairity, not brevity

I know that CC is only prohibited in the controlled areas of the airport, but I think I would have brought my gun and left it locked in my car while inside the airport. I not sure I would trust that TSA would actually know what the law is in this regard. Especially considering the high level of training they receive and all.
    COGITO, ERGO PORTO

VIP Member
    I read and was told that CC inside ANY part of the airport terminal is a no-go. Have I been mis informed? As far as I know, it is against the law to carry into the airport at all.
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants."
    Thomas Jefferson

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sigmanluke View Post
    I read and was told that CC inside ANY part of the airport terminal is a no-go. Have I been mis informed? As far as I know, it is against the law to carry into the airport at all.
    It may depend on your state law. In Tx, you can carry in the unsecured areas of the airport.
    "Texas can make it without the United States, but the United States can't make it without Texas!".... Sam Houston

Retired LEO
    Firearms Instructor
    NRA Life Member

Exclamation Check local laws!

We recently cleared up this very question here in Oregon.

State law says only the legislature can regulate where concealed carry is permitted (which is pretty much everywhere.) The Port of Portland, which has jurisdiction over Portland International, insisted that they could regulate concealed carry outside the concourses, which is rubbish, but then had an ordinance on the books anyway prohibiting concealed carry.

No individual really had the resources to contest it. A few organizations fought them on it, and the ordinance was finally rescinded in August of 2008.

But yeah, it is kind of freaky to be carrying in an airport if you aren't sure about the law.

CC is good in the unsecured area of a Colorado airport terminal. But, no open carry anywhere inside a terminal building.

gotta love flint!

Quote Originally Posted by ellswj View Post
    gotta love flint!
    Well I don't no about love, but the airline tickets are cheaper there!

+1 to ellswj for doing the math and figuring out which city.

Quote Originally Posted by sigmanluke View Post
    In Michigan CCW is legal in nonsecure ie, up to the security check point. Of course it would HOPEFULLY be impossible beyond that point, at least not without the TSA approval whch they do not give.

Senior Member Array HowardCohodas's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Headshrinker View Post
    I know that CC is only prohibited in the controlled areas of the airport, but I think I would have brought my gun and left it locked in my car while inside the airport. I not sure I would trust that TSA would actually know what the law is in this regard. Especially considering the high level of training they receive and all.
    It has never occurred to me not to carry at the airport when picking up passengers.

Remember the El Al ticket counter incident?
    Howard
    I carry a gun because I can't carry a cop!!
    Politically Incorrect Self Defense

Links